Yak-52 cockpit elements ghosting or blurred with DLSS/DLAA

virgo47

As the title says, levers, gauges (pointers), the stick, rotary knobs... it gets blurry or causes ghosting with DLSS/DLAA. It is perfectly fine with MSAA 4x. A short video comparison is here:

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

A good demonstration, but I'm not sure what's the point of it really? This ghosting is known and expected side effect of DLSS, affecting all aircraft in DCS.

You might try to mitigate it somewhat by not using DLSS at all and sticking to DLAA only, or combining DLSS with some sharpening, but it's always going to be there compared to very clear but very inefficient MSAA.

• Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:24 PM, Art-J said:

A good demonstration, but I'm not sure what's the point of it really? This ghosting is known and expected side effect of DLSS, affecting all aircraft in DCS.

I don't know really, perhaps it surprised me in Yak-52 a bit more, because as a propeller it has quite fast gauges compared to jets. I'm not sure how much tuning ED can do on the DCS part or how much it would get better with newer DLSS versions (if it is even applicable to my RTX 3060). I don't play many other games nowadays besides DCS, and I wanted to make my GPU work less, if possible, for V-synced 60 FPS - which is perfectly fine with me for a flight simulator.

I just honestly reported it, thinking something could be done with it. If not, then I'm a bit underwhelmed by DLSS. I expected more from the upscaling, these issues remind me more of frame generation problems than "just" upscaling.

BTW, this seems to be a DLAA problem, perhaps DLSS makes it a bit worse, but DLAA alone shows the issues already. If there are minor differences between DLAA alone and DLSS (quality, BTW)+DLAA they would hardly translate to compressed video I guess.

About making my card work less - which results in less fan noise in my GPU model - these are my results according to MSI Afterburner overlay:

No AA: GPU 77%, 1140MHz, 56W -- ugly edges, etc.
MSAA x2: GPU 77%, 1290MHz, 60W
MSAA x4: GPU 77%, 1477MHz, 72W -- works hardest here, but very nice results
DLAA only: GPU 77%, 1365MHz, 65W -- power draw between MSAA x2 and x4, but visual quality is worse for moving stuff
DLSS Quality: GPU 77%, 1050MHz, 54W -- I'd like this 🙂, static scenes look great and smooth
DLSS Balanced: GPU 77%, 990MHz, 52W -- I'd not use this, some thin lines (e.g. clock hands) are often very unclear

CPU was always the same (11% utilization/36W in my simple hot-on-the-runway test). The numbers are interesting, as the reported % on the GPU is always the same (77%), but the needed power is not. This is all not a big deal, I'm just experimenting with that, I may still use DLSS and live with the ghosting - but it clearly affects the realism/immersion part here and there. I simply didn't expect so many instances of ghosting, blurring or various types of aliasing when no frame generation is used.

I definitely don't plan to report it for all the planes. I didn't notice on the few others I managed to play with OB 2.9 yet 🙂 but these were jets, perhaps with cleaner textures (the pattern on the Yak-52 stick is probably quite difficult for DLAA).

Edited by virgo47

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

I fly warbirds mostly, so I also notice it, usually on instruments whenever any panel shaking or vibration kicks in. But that doesn't happen often enough to bother me. I don't use DLSS either. Keeping DLAA only is sufficient quality vs performance compromise for me. My biggest issue with old MSAA was that it never fully solved buildings & fences shimmering problems and it was too much of a resource hog for my 3070. DLAA throws all these problems out of the window, so some ghosting is a price I'm ready to pay.

Guys who fly jets were reporting ghosting problems on their HUDs and that was apparently mitigated somewhat in the hotfix, so I'm sure these new techs will certainly be tweaked and tuned more, affecting us prop-heads as well.

• Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.