Tree Trunks scattering laser/range incorrect

Gunslinger52
Go to solution Solved by Lord Vader,

Hi all,

anyone seen this before?  If you aim on some land, just before a tree trunk, range is as expected and Hellfire/guns hit exactly where you point.  If you aim a fraction up, (onto the base of the tree), the range suddenly adds maybe 400m, and the aim point is way off (Hellfire and guns miss by miles). 

Any ideas?  Not a real issue of course, as I normally try to hit other things 🙂  Just brought it up in case it offers insight into another bug maybe.

'52

Pretense Caucasus 8am-20231028-141730.trk

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56

• ED Team
  • Solution

Hi @Gunslinger52

I watched your track and it appears you are trying to hit the tree trunk at the base and then halfway. I do indeed see the rounds hit beyond the trees once you move up the trunk, but this is expected behaviour.

Not only are we dealing with a limitation of how trees are depicted (not affecting sensors and weapons, something that may one day be reviewed), this is also a perspective illusion. Even though you are aiming "just above", the targeting is actually being performed way back in the terrain. Something that's even more evident because you are aiming at a sloped area. So the weapons will fly further. 

Try to do this on a building or a large object and you'll see how it compensates correctly. 

• Thanks 1

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

7 hours ago, Lord Vader said:

Hi @Gunslinger52

I watched your track and it appears you are trying to hit the tree trunk at the base and then halfway. I do indeed see the rounds hit beyond the trees once you move up the trunk, but this is expected behaviour.

Not only are we dealing with a limitation of how trees are depicted (not affecting sensors and weapons, something that may one day be reviewed), this is also a perspective illusion. Even though you are aiming "just above", the targeting is actually being performed way back in the terrain. Something that's even more evident because you are aiming at a sloped area. So the weapons will fly further. 

Try to do this on a building or a large object and you'll see how it compensates correctly. 

Thanks Lord Vader,

appreciate the detailed response.  I must say that yes, I remember different parts of buildings were not an issue.

Really loving 2.9!  Thanks for all the effort ED are putting in for us.

Have a good one.

'52

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56