BFT07 cloverleaf

Hey!

I love this campaign (the trio actually).  I've taken a few longer breaks from DCS over the years and I always come back and run through these to get myself in order again -- they're fantastic training tools.  

I usually try to get Q's on all of the missions, but there is one I've never been able to do it.  BFT07, and it's always the cloverleaf that gets me.  And this time, I'm going to get it. 🫡

So, I've been practicing and practicing getting the heading correct with a mini-mission dedicated just to that: 

• 45 deg pitch up to start barrel roll,
  • roll until wings level inverted heading 90 deg left of start, (usually I'm 3000 ft above my starting altitude here)
  • pull through the split S to add another 180 deg left final heading (270 total). 

However, I still have not been able to get myself pulled out of the split S at the same altitude I started the initial barrel roll pitch up.  The closest I've gotten in countless attempts is 900 feet below initial altitude.

Any hints?

Anybody done it?

Thanks

• Like 1

Uh, yea, so, not so bright on my part....

One problem I discovered when I read this post below is that I'm turning the wrong freaking way!  And I mean multiple times.  Probably for years.  I have no idea why.  My life depends on knowing left from right.

Anyways, apparently the part about ending up at the same altitude does not matter either.  I got the "attaboy" from the instructor at 1000 feet below entry.  So, yea.  Guess it doesn't matter! 

Still would be in awe if anybody's actually been able to level off at same altitude as starting.  Hope you enjoyed reading about my bumblings!

• Like 3

Good feedback. As I recall we had to tweak the triggers somewhat to give users a chance at completing the maneuver (using a close enough estimate).  

I think the trick is to try and arc the barrel roll in such a way as to get sufficient altitude so that when you do the Split-S you end up at the same altitude you started. 

Much easier said than done.

• Like 1

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates