Su-25 T: How to tune a joystick hat for target designator control?

PawlaczGMD

I want to use a joystick hat on my HOTAS as the target designator in the Su-25 T. The problem is with tuning the axis. Even with large curve, like 40, the designator is very hard to control, as it moves too fast. It works well when I set the saturation to 40-50. However, a new problem appears - when I give a diagonal command that goes into oversaturated region, the target designator doesn't move. So I have to be careful to not saturate the axis if I want to move diagonally.

Is this intended behavior? Seems to me like the game should accept the diagonal input, and figure out a way to cap each axis separately... If this is not a bug, does anyone know of a good way to tune the hat for this purpose?

I want to use a joystick hat on my HOTAS as the target designator in the Su-25 T. The problem is with tuning the axis. Even with large curve, like 40, the designator is very hard to control, as it moves too fast. It works well when I set the saturation to 40-50. However, a new problem appears - when I give a diagonal command that goes into oversaturated region, the target designator doesn't move. So I have to be careful to not saturate the axis if I want to move diagonally.
Is this intended behavior? Seems to me like the game should accept the diagonal input, and figure out a way to cap each axis separately... If this is not a bug, does anyone know of a good way to tune the hat for this purpose?
Are you using a "hat" or a "ministick"? Hats don't have axis. That's why I'm asking.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Ministick, wrong terminology. It has 2 axes.
Right! I have the Deltasim upgrade for my Warthog. Had to set a small deadzone and all my troubles with the Shkval went away both in the Su-25T and the Ka-50. No curves, no altering of the saturation. Have to tried a deadzone? My main problem was that the initial speed was way too fast, like it jumped. But with a deadzone, smooth as butter.

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Right! I have the Deltasim upgrade for my Warthog. Had to set a small deadzone and all my troubles with the Shkval went away both in the Su-25T and the Ka-50. No curves, no altering of the saturation. Have to tried a deadzone? My main problem was that the initial speed was way too fast, like it jumped. But with a deadzone, smooth as butter.

I've tried playing with the deadzone, but I'm not sure I understand. Because the full cursor speed is too fast, I need a very small deadzone, so that I can make precise adjustments when fully zoomed in. So I have reduced the deadzone as much as the hardware allows and doesn't get stuck. This is Winwing Orion 2 throttle ministick. My problem is that the cursor is too fast without saturating the input.

I've tried playing with the deadzone, but I'm not sure I understand. Because the full cursor speed is too fast, I need a very small deadzone, so that I can make precise adjustments when fully zoomed in. So I have reduced the deadzone as much as the hardware allows and doesn't get stuck. This is Winwing Orion 2 throttle ministick. My problem is that the cursor is too fast without saturating the input.
Yeah, I guess it's just a difference between our hardware. I did have the same issue as you have with a previous TWCS throttle I used. Was near impossible to dial correct in the axis tuning.

Yeah, I guess it's just a difference between our hardware. I did have the same issue as you have with a previous TWCS throttle I used. Was near impossible to dial correct in the axis tuning.

To be clear, I'm fine with the tuning I've found, but the game (or my HOTAS hardware?) ignores diagonal inputs when one axis is saturated. So is this a bug? It looks to be on DCS side, as the HOTAS control works perfectly fine. 

To be clear, I'm fine with the tuning I've found, but the game (or my HOTAS hardware?) ignores diagonal inputs when one axis is saturated. So is this a bug? It looks to be on DCS side, as the HOTAS control works perfectly fine. 
Right! Yeah, I guess that's a bug the way you described it, as I don't experience it because I haven't tuned the axis except for the deadzone. I tried to reproduce it, but for some reason couldn't enter axis tuning in the Su-25T. I might be able to in the Ka-50, as I'm sure it shares the Shkval code.

Right! Yeah, I guess that's a bug the way you described it, as I don't experience it because I haven't tuned the axis except for the deadzone. I tried to reproduce it, but for some reason couldn't enter axis tuning in the Su-25T. I might be able to in the Ka-50, as I'm sure it shares the Shkval code.

I will play around with it today too. In the Shark, I don't need to saturate the axes, as the cursor seems to move slower. So I don't think they share the exact same code.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Ah, that's interesting. Will need to test! emoji1303.png

I've tested more, and it seems to be a bug. This happens even without saturation, and only for the Su-25 T. Ka-50 target works just fine! Both in the sense that it's not bugged, and it's nicer to use.

• Like 1