ARK-5 frequencies for near NDB not changing

vgilsoler

I'm trying to setup the ARK-5 for Krymsk Outer NBD and Inner NBD.

For the outer NDB I don't have any problem, select far switch, set ARK-5 to ANT, change frequency range, fine tuning and set mode to COMP. I can listen the morse code at 408 mhz aprox. But when In try to do the same with the inner NBD and select near switch, the frequency range doesn't change in the dial and inner NDB at 800 mhz can not be tunning.

If I try to setup first the Near NDB, it happens the same.

What I'm doing wrong with the ARK-5? I attach a track with the followed steps.

practice_mig15_ADF.trk

I7 3770K - 32 GB DDR3 - Nvidia RTX 4060 - SSD + NVME

I don't know, but there are only a few airfields in Caucasus, where the FAR/NEAR switching works.

You only set the FAR frequency, the near frequency than depends on the selected range. and the frequency is held into place. I think, it's Batumi Beslan which is set up to work correctly with the outer marker frequency position matches the inner frequency position in the different range selected.

Please see details here:

or here:

Edited by gulredrel
change airport to Beslan

See derelor's description in one of the threads above. With the three switches on the left, you select the sub-range for near switch.

Need to correct my post above. The airport with B was not Batumi, but Beslan where it used to work. Maybe I can create a track to show case.

I don't know if there is a pdf or thread which lists the compatible airfields but these are not many. The maps and navigation aids do not match with how the nav aids were set up for an early cold war era airplane. L-39 has a more modern navigation set where you separately can tune frequencies for inner and outer NDB to be used with the near/far switch. MiG-19 has a work around, where you can set up different frequencies regardless if they match the position of the tuning crank in different sub frequency bands, like it needs to be in MiG-15.

Best is to only use one NDB and arrive at it at the runway heading.

I've had problems receiving beacons on variouys airfields in the Caucasus. It was really anoying when you're doing a flight and can't select a beacon on the airfield you're going to.

Attached are my findings by placing a MiG-15 on the runway and test the reception.

Mind you, it even depends on the wind direction & strength were you can place a plane on the runway.

Airfield beacons Georgia.png

Airfield beacons Russia.png

new 1.txt

Edited by hsth

Here is how it works with the corresponding frequency range switching via far/near switch in Beslan

- first select the OM frequ. 250 kHz in the lowest frequ. range on the ARK-5 control panel

- check on the ARK-5 control panel, that in the highest frequency range 250 kHz corresponds to 1050 kHz (slight needle swing on radio compass)

- set frequency range back to the lowest on ARK-5 panel

- on the left, there are three switches. You need to select the highest for the third range

- now switching far / near switch you can see frequency range dial changes position without the change of the rotary on the ARK-5 panel

And the track from 2.9 MT, from which I created the video.

Regards

Jens

20231116_MiG-15_Beslan_OM_IM_near_far_frequ_range_change.trk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1