Visibility of lights (PAPI, IFLOLS, LRLLS) in high resolution VR headset

Kreutzberg

I recently transitioned to a Pimax Crystal from a Reverb G2. Using quad view foveated rendering, I can run a solid supersampled center and get really good visuals with good performance. However, I note that the various lights (including ground based PAPI lights on most maps and IFLOLS and LRLLS  on the Supercarrier) are extremely dim (basically unusable).  I briefly used a Varjo Aero, and recall the same issue, so my suspicion is that it is related to high resolution VR headsets and how the lights are rendered. They are much more visible with the G2.

Are others encountering this issue?

Edited by Kreutzberg

Yes, I have the same since using the PIMAX but I actually like it.

I was never able to use the IFLOLS without the overlay due to being too bright (In the G2) and the LRLLS showed the carrier over gazillon of miles.

Since I switched to PIMAX I'm happy with the IFLOLS, since I can use it now without that immersion breaking overlay. All in all I think lights are more believable now

So it seems just a matter of taste now (Even so I miss that bright beacon during <profanity>ty weather case 3 ) ...just leave a light on for me.... 😉

I use a G2 and i cant see the LRLLS at all either. Also MT looks awful no matter what settings I use for MSAA DLSS etc. It always looks like the Aliasing is terrible. ST version looks 100 times better. Plus I get poor performance in MT anyway. 

That said one thing I have not tried for MT is turn back on Bloom effect in the VR tab in game options. I always have it off.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone from ED is watching this, it would be a very important improvement to the Supercarrier module, at least (and there are improvements coming there).  It's really disruptive to immersion to not be able to see the IFLOLS at all! There are other, much more visible, lights, so there should be a pretty easy fix.

ETA: The legacy carrier lights are the same for now at least.

Edited by Kreutzberg

• 4 weeks later...

The 2024 and beyond newsletter mentions further tuning and enhancements, especially in VR. I'm really hoping this doesn't go unnoticed, as it's a pretty big thing with newer VR systems that will only grow in importance as resolutions continue to rise.  A light visibility slider (or settings) would be a pretty easy fix, I think.