Varjo Aero DFR - Varjo-Foveated vs. Quad Views Foveated

mmike87

Hi, I am a new Aero user (posted my First Impressions last week) and so far I am really happy with it. But, I enjoy tweaking to achieve the best results. I am currently using Varjo-Foveated for DFR and it's working great. However, it's incompatible with Open XR Toolkit, and I miss some of the features it provided, such as the nicer (IMO) FPS/Latency display, post-processing tweaking, etc. 

Supposedly, switching to Quad-Views-Foveated instead of Varjo-Foveated allows the continued use of Open XR Toolkit. Before I mess with a working configuration, I wanted to check if anyone is using Quad-Views-Foveated for DFR with the Aero and confirm that OXRTK does indeed work. And, if so - did anyone notice any performance difference (good or bad)?

If not, I'll try it when I get back from my trip and report my results back here, but I wanted to check, like I said - before I mess with a working configuration, as we all know how easy it is to end up with hours of troubleshooting. 

https://github.com/mbucchia/Varjo-Foveated/wiki
https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki

Thanks, all. 

Edited by mmike87

It definitely works as explained (ie QVFR needed for OpenXR Toolkit).

Sadly, there is a bug in the Varjo software that makes eye tracking not always working with QVFR. Not something I can fix. You can try and see if you are subject to this bug (it seems to randomly affect certain users).

• Like 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

1 hour ago, mbucchia said:

It definitely works as explained (ie QVFR needed for OpenXR Toolkit).

Sadly, there is a bug in the Varjo software that makes eye tracking not always working with QVFR. Not something I can fix. You can try and see if you are subject to this bug (it seems to randomly affect certain users).

Ok, thanks for the heads-up. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

• Like 1

So, I had a chance to give this a shot. Quad-views installed correctly, and I was able to bring up the Toolkit normally after resetting to defaults. However, the DFR didn't seem as clear as Varjo Foveated. I played a bit with the settings, enabled the debug eye tracker, and verified that the tracking was working (the two dots appeared in the game and moved with my eyes).

So, I went back to Varjo Foveated for now - it seems to provide the best clarity, at least to my eyes. 

Thanks!

thank you for posting, I was considering this path, but will stick with Varjo Foveated as well.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

The way settings are done between Varjo-Foveated and Quad-Views-Foveated is much different (this is because of Varjo's odd way to manage resolutions via their PPD settings, which have different meaning in stereo mode than in Quad views mode). So you likely ran Quad-Views-Foveated with lower settings than Varjo-Foveated.

If you want to keep things simpler, Varjo-Foveated is definitely the way to go on a Varjo headset. 

• Like 2

This account is now inactive and not monitored.