How are skins sychronized/consistency checked in multiplayer?

Donglr

Hi skinning experts,

I have a question how skins work in multiplayer. Are they simply identified by name or is there a hash or checksum to identify if the correct skin is used?

Let me give you an example: I know in order for another player to see my custom skin in MP, he/she has to install the same skin. Now image I have a skin named "colorful" in the definition file and it is all green. What happens if another player also has a skin named "colorful" in his folder structure, but his skin is all red. So the names match, the contents does not. Will he see me in red or in green or in the default skin for that particular airframe?

Thx

• 4 weeks later...

Another related question: Let's say I create a MP mission with the UH-1 skin called "US Navy" by ED, which is actually a USMC skin. So if I change the name of the folder and the ingame name to "USMC", will other players in MP still see the correct skin, or am I screwing things up then?

Same thing for downloaded custom skins: Since they are all named by varying systematics, I like to change them to organize them a little bit better. So if someone has the same skin, but in a different folder name and with a different ingame name, will he and I still see the correct skin?