DCS CPU or GPU heavy? Please give me tips.

RNoAF Fighter

Good evening! Quick question, is DCS more CPU or GPU heavy? Especially in vr. I’m having some issues and know I gotta replace some parts, but the web can’t decide if it’s CPU or GPU heavy. Anyone who can help me decide and maybe have some tips for what to upgrade? My specs: I5-7500, Gtx 980 ti, DDR4 4x2GB MHz 2400 and an Z270-P motherboard I believe. Thanks in advance

Your system is entirely on the brink of obsolescence as far as DCS is concerned. I know because I’ve been there. Your processor and gpu are both very out of date. When I upgraded I did my cpu/motherboard first to an AMD 5600x. FPS did increase but not as much as I expected. Then I went from a vega64 to an RTX6850 and saw a fairly large uptick in my FPS. Now my CPU is the thing holding it back. My son running on the old system (i5 3570k and vega64) can play dcs, but only in light scenarios. 

I’d suggest doing the cpu and motherboard first as that’s the hardest and you can still use your old GPU.   Get 32Gb of ram and any newish I5 or above should do the trick. The more you spend the longer it will still be worthwhile before upgrading again.  Then get a used GPU but not the bottom tier ones. Get either a Nvidia 3060 and above or AMD 6700 and above. 

I’m not one to upgrade every year but even so I’ve put more money into my computer than I’d ever thought I would. Almost entirely for DCS. 

forgot to add: the cpu/motherboard upgrade didn’t increase FPS as much as I hoped but it did make it vastly more stable with less crashing, especially in VR. 

Edited by ricktoberfest
  • Like 1

At least some of the new(ish) Ryzen 6/12 and 8/16 CPUs can be had on the cheap and are definitely good enough. A Ryzen 5600 with included cooler can be had for under $200Cdn. ($150US) That's certainly a workable CPU for DCS for a good price. Throw on 32GB Ram and it's a great and affordable start.

In truth, a solid rig can be built for a bargain price if you choose the parts carefully, until you get to the GPU. Then it just sucks. 

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Well, depending on where you are, you can get a 3090 for less than $1000, in good condition. In general, prices of the 30 series are, right now, in acceptable range. If you go for 40 series, they do suck hard, although of course they're technically superior to 30s. That said, the 3090 is a strong contender due to copious amount of VRAM.