laser guided bombs not releasing in ccrp

mla306
Go to solution Solved by itn,

Hi, I've watched all the videos and can't figure out what's wrong.  I can release in the training mission but the bombs won't release in the instant action missions nor in the red flag mission 1.  I've attached the track files...hopefully someone can tell me what I'm missing or doing wrong?  I've got master arm on and laser on.  Cat III, I'm using autopilot to keep the azimuth on the target.  I've used a release angle of 0 and 45 degrees.  Bombs show ready in the SMS and on the hud.  I don't touch the weapons release button on the first drop of the cue, I wait for the bomb toss circle to quit flashing.  I wait till about 9 seconds on the second drop of the cue and hold the weapons release button.  All it does is activate the laser.  I don't have any conflicts on my bindings.  I have the first detent on the trigger mapped and it does fire the laser but so does the weapons release button.  I'm using the TGP and it's SOI and I have the target locked in point track.  

Any thoughts?

f16 not dropping.trk f16 not dropping rel ang 0.trk .trk

• Solution

It's not the speed, it's the steering. With DCS F-16 and LGBs, you need to line up the steering line and Flight Path Marker to release.

In the track with autopilot, it seems to align Target Designator box and the steering line. This takes you off right of the correct line, FPM is to the right of steering line.

Line them up like this, and you're good to go:

image.png

Edited by itn
Forum software ate my text

In current OpenBeta there's no such limit. You can pickle GBU-12s at 1.5M+. In May maybe it did or maybe it didn't have such an additional speed limit.

Taking control of OP's track you get to about 1.05M with full AB, and can pickle just fine as long as the steering is correct.

Hey guys I was having problems with both the instant action and the red flag.  I slowed to under .9M in the instant action and the bombs dropped.  In the red flag the bombs did not drop, so I took it off auto pilot and manually steered over the target and the bombs dropped.  I think you were both correct.  Either way my problem is solved and I thank you both for the help!!

Thanks guys.

On 12/21/2023 at 1:37 AM, mla306 said:

I slowed to under .9M in the instant action and the bombs dropped.  In the red flag the bombs did not drop, so I took it off auto pilot and manually steered over the target and the bombs dropped.  I think you were both correct.  Either way my problem is solved and I thank you both for the help!!

Glad you got it working and happy to help.

However, to re-iterate: I haven't seen myself nor seen anyone demonstrate speed having any difference to the release as long as you're otherwise in the parameters (mainly steering in this case). I've dropped them from 1.5M+. If there's a track that shows otherwise, I'd like to see it.

What I believe has happened in your case using autopilot, is that speed affects AP steering, and you might or might not end up at the correct steering line. If that's what's happening, then the release is merely a happy accident based on some combination of speed, relative wind and AP steering logic.

So the lesson here, based on what I've seen, is not that "release has a speed limit", but that speed can affect autopilot steering, and AP might or might not steer you accurately to the release parameters. If using AP for CCRP, you need to check that the steering line goes through FPM. If it doesn't you need to correct it: Maybe steer manually or switch to HDG mode and adjust from there.

The reason why I'm replying is because I think the speed thing is a misconception and hides the actual reason for CCRP troubles for anyone possibly reading this afterwards. If anyone disagrees, please post tracks because I just haven't seen it.

• 3 months later...

I am having some issues with Laser and CCRP with Jtac. I tried the training mission with CCRP to see what I need to relearn. For the life of me, I cannot bombs to release in the training mission. UI also wish the training mission would let me fast forward so I don't have to repeat everything everytime I start the training missions. I setup two targets with a JTAC on each one, almost identical. Except for location and the radio code. Same Setup exactly in the setup of Jtac, same aircraft, same bombs. LGBU-12's hard to get to follow laser. LGBU-24's worked a bunch easier to follow the laser to target. The fall line thing must be my issue, I really hope it is. Will try soon again.

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR