Quest 3 freezes when flying on a private hosted server - Singleplayer is fine

Compumark

Hi,

I am trying to get my new Quest 3 setup within DCS. 

My system specs are i7-13700k, RTX3080  and 32GB RAM. Running Windows 11 and openBeta of DCS. 

Regardless of running via QuestLink (cable or Airlink) or Virtual Desktop - after couple of minutes the VR part stops. Shorty before the fps are dropping and the latency is rising until the view is frozen. 

DCS is started via this link: "O:\DCS World\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

When flying around in Syria low level and through clouds in Single Player (Instant action mission) all is running fine and no freeze.

When connecting to our dedicated server, the view freezes after a couple of minutes. DCS is still running on the machine. 

If flying in 2D mode, there is not freeze and no lag on our server. 

So I am quite odcs.logut of ideas why if freezes in VR on the server. 

Attached the log file,the VR Stream freeze happend now after the cold and dark startup of the F18 on the Carrier and takeoff from CAT2. 

I am happy about any hint/advice. 

Thanks a lot,

Markus

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever fix this issue?

I got a quest 3 this weekend and started fiddling with DCS settings. I ran into an issue where the Quest headset would freeze but the image on the monitor was still running fine. Haven’t started troubleshooting yet as ran out of time.

The log you provided in the OP does not show any freeze issue. Please reproduce the freeze, then attach the resulting dcs.log file.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

The freeze is not happening in DCS. Only the VR connection freezes. DCS in the machine is continue working. 

And it only happens on custom servers. Thats the strange thins. I can fly for hours on a single player mission and no freeze will occur. 

What I found is, when the VR freeze occurs I can bring the Quest 3 into standby and shorty after turn it on again, DCS will not freeze, and the VR freeze is gone for the next minutes. But if the Quest 3 is tunrned off too long DCS crashes.

But again, only with DCS. If I play other PCVR games, no VR freeze is happening at all.

I have tried today the following: Quest Link via Air. The fps dropped again and the timing raised. 

Attached the log and a screenshot that I was able to capture.

OpenXR Toolkit is set to Turbo Mode Off. ASW is disabled. 

I was connected to the 4YA Syria PVE Server (Europe)

Maybe this log contains more information...

dcs.lognull

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I've being suffering similar issues last weeks and I've concluded that must be a problem with oculus software. I have no idea how to solve it but I turned to Virtual Desktop and is running well for me. Though, I'd like to find out a way to use Oculus Link ( I mean, the cable) with the performance it is supposed to provide.Please, if you figure out a fix, share it.

Edited by Felipius

Hello all.

I to am having the same issue on my favorite servers as well! And I'm on the HP Reverb G2 headset. Single player other games no problem just on DCS  and multiplayer! The freezes go to black screen for quite a few seconds then when I come out of it I've crashed my plane. Very frustrating!!! I'm really hoping this new "Vulcan Engine" coming out this month resolves the issue.

All the best, Nobody really that important!

Sixxer,

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 1:28 PM, Compumark said:

The freeze is not happening in DCS. Only the VR connection freezes. DCS in the machine is continue working. 

And it only happens on custom servers. Thats the strange thins. I can fly for hours on a single player mission and no freeze will occur. 

What I found is, when the VR freeze occurs I can bring the Quest 3 into standby and shorty after turn it on again, DCS will not freeze, and the VR freeze is gone for the next minutes. But if the Quest 3 is tunrned off too long DCS crashes.

But again, only with DCS. If I play other PCVR games, no VR freeze is happening at all.

I am experiencing this as well.  Usually while using virtual desktop wirelessly.  Having massive fps and artifact issues with official link cable.  My machine is far above minimum requirements and seems I'm only getting this issue in dcs.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been running DCS in VR for a month now and Virtual Desktop without any issue.

Today, I experienced this EXACT behavior described here: the Quest 3 stream, after a few seconds of working correctly, freezes in the current frame+space.  I can turn my head and see black areas beyond the rendered and frozen area, but the PC seems to still be tracking the headset and rendering correctly the view.  If I close VD on the Headset and open it back, I sometimes get a few more seconds of good tracking and then the freeze again.  Sometimes it just gets back to the stuck section.

This would indicate that this is a VD issue, but I tried SteamLink with SteamVR and, instead of the video freeze, it just crashes to desktop, more or at the same time it would freeze on VD (and it does work for a few seconds).

The one "constant" between the two are: DCS and OpenXR.

Has anyone found a solution?  What could be causing this?  This was working perfect until last Friday.  The only different thing in my PC is that I installed WSL service for windows 11, but it's a really long shot that that is what is causing the issue.  What other variables can we look into?

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a bit since I pit down my quest 3 and picked up a pimax crystal.. ever since then I've had absolutely no issues.  Obviously not a solution for everyone... but I think I've confirmed the issue was a quest thing.. and not my pc.  Good luck to all with this issue.

Edited by unclesneep