Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Throttle Q's

Minskie

I'm looking to buy this setp, But I have no interest in the Warthog and only fly the FA-!8C in DCS.

Is there a bundle available with the FA18 stick ?

I've looked on eBay and see I have the option to purchase a base & choice of stick, then the throttles all seperately.

But that is way more expensive than the pre-bundled Warthog package.

Would I even notice flying my FA18 with a Warthog stick, or would it be worth the $$$ to get the correct one ?

I already own the TPR pedals so want to complete the setup.

You can fly the F-18 with the Warthog stick (that's what any TM users did before the F-18 stick came along), but the F-18 stick does work better.

Having said that, I would look at other options than TM.  The TM F-18 stick is great, but the base sucks -- I use a Virpil WarBRD base which is miles better.  And while they've improved the TDC stick on the TM throttle, you may or may not get the better one depending where you buy it.  Back when I had TM throttle/stick/base I spent a bunch on after market improvements (Sajah green softer spring for the base -- stock is way too stiff if you're not using an extension, and that's before you look at base quality anyway; TDC stick upgrade etc).  Similar final $ will likely get you a better system.  Currently I use TM F-18 stick on Virpil WarBRD base and WinWing Orion (original) throttle.

• Like 2

To expand a little on my first post, for the throttle there were 2 reasons (beyond the TDC stick) that I went to WinWing.  1st was that the original Orion throttle had a push through afterburner detent (Orion II uses a different system and is no longer push through unfortunately for my tastes).  And I really found the type and number of switches and buttons provided to be more useful.  I don't completely follow what's marked on it but the number and placement of 2 and 3 way switches and the rotaries for radio usage are very handy.

@Minskie

I agree with most of what Rob said.

The biggest downside of the TM throttle is, that it doesn‘t have a spring-centered Radar elevation knob. If you buy a bundle with the Warthog stick, then you don‘t have a real substitute for that anywhere on your HOTAS. On the TM F/A-18 stick, they added a substitute for that on the stick (a pretty ingenious move by TM, that gets blatantly overlooked by most reviews).

I must add though, that the TM F/A-18 stick has some problems with its switches sometimes. On mine, the WSS forward has to be actively pulled back in order to disengage.

Other than that, I would agree with Robs suggested setup.

@rob10

I have the Orion2 with F/A-18 grips and fingerlifts. Just in case you are not aware…they are pretty much push through…you don‘t have to actively lift the fingerlifts to get into AB.

Edited by Phantom711
  • Like 1

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

1 hour ago, Phantom711 said:

@rob10

I have the Orion2 with F/A-18 grips and fingerlifts. Just in case you are not aware…they are pretty much push through…you don‘t have to actively lift the fingerlifts to get into AB.

Thanks.  I did not realize that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. It is barely 12 months old and Thrustmaster have already replaced the main PCB in the throttle - more to the point, they sent me a PCB and I replaced it. When I took he throttle apart, the body was full of plastic swarf particles showing signs of wear in th ebearing, I presume. This past week, the buttons on the throttle stopped working on any setting other than full throttle! I took the unit apart and blew, brushed out the case and the contol boards. The boards smell as thought they have been getting hot, you know, that hot electric smell? Why dowsn't the thorttle have a fan installed if it get's that hot? The throttle is working agai now, but I have no doubt it will fail again!

So here is the answer to the sub standard of the Thrustmaster HOTAS, 1. don't buy the junk in the first place, save up and buy a superior product or 2. have a second,, spare HOTAS so you always have a working HOTAS while you wait for Thrustmaster support to get back to you, if they ever do!

Good hunting guys.

Regards

Game setup - I9-13900K, 3000 MHZ 24 Core 32 Logical Processors, NVIDIA RTX 4090, 42” ASUS 4K OLED monitor, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM TPR Rudder pedals, HP Reverb G2 VR - soon to be Bigscreen VR