Lean right in to read gauges, why?

Still learning to set up VR with my Quest 2.

Anyway. In normal seating position in any cockpit, it looks great, but it's hard to read a lot of the buttons and switches etc, especially in the Hornet and Apache. But if I lean right in, so you are almost right on the dash, it's all very clear and readable. Why is this, why can't they be read as easily from the normal seating position? I don't think this has anything to do with wearing glasses or graphic settings.

Also, is there a way to turn of reflections in the Lua files anywhere? Apart from the Hornet you can't seem to turn them off. I have "Lens Effects" and "Cockpit global illumination" turned off in settings as well.

Cheers, A.P.

Cheers,

Aussie Pilot.

The farther you are from an object, the smaller the details, hence at some point you would need more resolution than what you have available in order to render those details. And just the oposite happens when you are close to an object, the details become bigger and less resolution is needed to render them properly.

Resolution in consumer VR has gone a long way from the very firsts prototypes in early 2010's, but it's still too low in general.

I have Quest Pro...so pretty much the same resolution. What you observe is "normal". Here is what you can do though:

1. Increase the supersampling resolution via Oculus Tray Tool, Oculus Debug Tool or simply by increasing PD in the DCS VR options tab. Since your system is not on the strongest side probably not the best solution.

2. In the DCS controls options you can assign a button for "VR zoom". It breaks the immersion a little bit....but still...

3. Also under the VR options in DCS there is the "Force IPD distance". This basically mimics the IPD (distance between eyes) of your virtual(!) pilot. If you set it to your real life IPD, the world in DCS should appear to you at true scale. If you set it to something very small, you will feel like a mouse in a giant cockpit or, if set to something large, like an elephant in a toy plane. Now somewhere in between those extremes might be a sweet spot for you, where things become better readable but it`s not immersion breaking.

Normal IPDs for males are from 53-77mm (source:wikipedia).

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png