Rdr behavior after UNDESIGNATE

Go to solution Solved by Tholozor,

Hi...I have a Hornet Radar question: I set the RDR for the specific weapons as given by some standards of my virtual squadron (i.e.: 80NM for the AMRAAM etc...) via the SET button. Reason I mention this is mainly to illustrate the problem and also because it kind off negates one possible way of "canceling" my following problem. Let´s say I use RWS and lock a target (STT) at 20NM. If i then decide to undesignate via the NWS button, the rdr goes back to RWS as expected and remains in a range scope where the former target is somewhat centered and there is aslo still the AMRAAM WEZ displayed.

No problem so far, BUT no matter how often I press the WSS right for the AMRAAM again (or an other weapon, the associated 80NM scope will not come up. The track has to fade out completely for the weapon specific scopes to be available again. One could press the RESET button on the right, but that defeats the purpose, because it sets the weapon specific radar scope back to default (40NM for the AMRAAM).

I mean WTF...I UNDESIGNATED the target...I want to have control over my radar back!!!!

I can post a track if required.

No, I don´t have evidence, that this is wrong. But it does not seem very plausible.

Edited by Phantom711

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

To my understanding:
- Subsequent presses of the Weapon Select Switch towards a weapon already selected will only step the active station on the aircraft, and will not re-invoke the SET parameters.
- Dropping STT on a contact does not remove its designation (L&S).
- If the ATTK format range scale has been adjusted manually; Automatic Range Scale Adjustment (ARSA) will be disabled unless the radar goes into STT, or RSET is pressed.
- Automatic Range Scale Adjustment should only be active in STT (also TWS, but can only increment the scale).
- If RSET is pressed with no target in STT, L&S designation is removed and ARSA is re-enabled.

• Like 2

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Hmm…not sure if you understood my problem here really. As long as there is still some „residue“ of a track file, I can not invoke any weapon specific radar scope. If I undesignated a target…and let‘s say at that time the radar was in the 10NM scope, then pressing the WSS forward (AIM7) or right (AIM120) does not invoke a change to the associated radar scope. And this is not just about range, but also bars, azimuth scan and PRF selection.

Yes one can manually change it again…but ffs this is a single seat jet…I don‘t have time to press buttons on a DDI while flying formation and checking the SA page shortly prior a re-attack.

Anyways…in my virtual squadron the more experienced guys have a solution: go BST briefly, then GACQ (WSS aft) and then WSS right or forward to your liking and the respective AIM7 or AIM120 radar scope is being selected.

So I am not saying it is wrong as it is. Since there is a workaround to achieve my desired effect, I still consider that as „case closed“.

Edited by Phantom711

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

6 hours ago, Phantom711 said:

Hmm…not sure if you understood my problem here really. As long as there is still some „residue“ of a track file, I can not invoke any weapon specific radar scope. If I undesignated a target…and let‘s say at that time the radar was in the 10NM scope, then pressing the WSS forward (AIM7) or right (AIM120) does not invoke a change to the associated radar scope. And this is not just about range, but also bars, azimuth scan and PRF selection.

It was a little difficult to understand exactly what it was you were trying to convey in the original post, thank you for the clarification!

May need a track file to see exactly what conditions are present to see if the behavior is erroneous. ARSA should always be disabled if the range scale was manually adjusted at any point (and re-enabled with RSET), so I'm curious if perhaps it needs to be re-enabled for the SET parameters to invoke when a weapon is selected. I'll take some time and read through the manual and see if I can find something definitive.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

RDR_Weapon_Set.trk

@Tholozor

So here is a track I just made to illustrate the matter. I simply took the MAriannas Free Flight instant action.

At the beginning I select the AMRAAM and manipilate the radar settings (80Nm, 80AZ, 4Bar).

I turn north and lock one of the Strike Eagles inbound to Andersen. Scope autoranges down to 40NM scope. I undesignate. Now neither selecting AIM7 nor AIM120 via WSS selects the respective radar setting I had set previously. Pressing RSET sets it back to how it was before I changed it to my liking (so the DCS default).

As I said previously...I am not saying it is wrong...just asking if this is desired behaviour after undesignating.

Let me state that I explicitly thank you for looking into this.

EDIT: 

So I see 3 possibilities here:

1. This is "correct as is" according to public available knowledge.

2. This is not correct and after undesignating a weapon selection via WSS should directly invoke the desired radar setting.

2. Or this is not correct and after undesignating and WSS would still not invoke the desired radar setting BUT maybe the RSET button is not modelled correctly and should not revert the settings to the DCS default but the previously SET radar parameters.

Edited by Phantom711

image.png

• Solution

Looking at the track and testing it myself I've boiled it down to a simple description:
- A/A weapon SET parameters cannot be invoked in RWS if L&S is present.

STT/RSET logic doesn't matter either, a track can be designated L&S in RWS and it will prevent SET parameters from being invoked with WSS. If the trackfile ages out (e.g. removing the L&S), WSS parameter invoking returns.

I can't find relevant information in the manual that definitively explains the logic to support one way or the other, so if it's a bug or correct is outside my knowledge unless an SME chimes in with more info.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor