virpil cm2 vs alpha stick and base

15 hours ago, Scott-S6 said:

How will you be mounting the stick? For side stick or desktop use the forward rake of the alpha will be more comfortable. For center stick mounting the more vertical CM2 will be more comfortable.

ah interesting, I've created a forum post in virpil forum: https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/18888-how-to-mount-vpc-mongoost-50cm3-base-to-my-gttrack-setup/

The chair is (right side is the throttle, left is the new stick:

0667380785998.jpg

So the alpha with the CM3 base is the way to go?

combat_flight_pack_hallery_2.png

Edited by Tweaker_Vincent

Yep, in that kind of use case the forward rake of the alpha will be a substantial benefit.

The test to see if it's enough rake for you is to make sure you can pull the stick fully rearwards without breaking your grip. If you find that the heel of your hand is breaking away from the grip (because you can't angle your wrist enough) then you need to make an intermediate mount that rotates the whole base+grip forward.

I prefer the CM3 base to the warbird for all purposes except on-desk use.

Edited by Scott-S6

16 minutes ago, Scott-S6 said:

Yep, in that kind of use case the forward rake of the alpha will be a substantial benefit.

The test to see if it's enough rake for you is to make sure you can pull the stick fully rearwards without breaking your grip. If you find that the heel of your hand is breaking away from the grip (because you can't angle your wrist enough) then you need to make an intermediate mount that rotates the whole base+grip forward.

I prefer the CM3 base to the warbird for all purposes except on-desk use.

I now have the Thrustmaster 16000 stick on the right and that works fine. So I can easily replace the 16000 stick with CM3 Base with Alpha and play DCS F18? I can adjust the forward position of the stick on my chair (if needed). Not 100% clear what you meant by breaking away?

And I read that the Alpha is recommended for space sims, but I only use DCS. And I have quite big hands. Is that an issue with the Alpha?

Edited by Tweaker_Vincent

The reason for recommending the alpha for space sims is because it has the analogy stick which is very useful for Elite. Whereas an extra hat switch is more useful for modern fighters.

Re grip "breaking away", if a side stick doesn't have enough forward rake you won't be able to keep the heel of your hand against the stick as you pull backwards because your wrist doesn't bend upwards enough. Look at your hand as you do this with the T1600M and you will probably see this happening. 

43 minutes ago, Scott-S6 said:

The reason for recommending the alpha for space sims is because it has the analogy stick which is very useful for Elite. Whereas an extra hat switch is more useful for modern fighters.

Re grip "breaking away", if a side stick doesn't have enough forward rake you won't be able to keep the heel of your hand against the stick as you pull backwards because your wrist doesn't bend upwards enough. Look at your hand as you do this with the T1600M and you will probably see this happening. 

I understand, and yes that happened with my t16000. Didn't know that this was an issue. So Alpha is the way to go. And how does an intermediate rotation mount looks like?

Not really a problem on a t1600m because the springing is very light. You'll find it more of a problem on your new setup. With any significant spring force you'll find a prolonged turning fight unnecessarily fatiguing.

Essentially you want a wedge shaped piece of aluminium that fits between the mount and base. The CM3 mount is attached only at the bracket at the front so this is a small part. Easy to make on a table saw.

I don't have a good picture of my old CM3 side mount and it will be quite different to yours anyway but here's a pic of the current non-angled mount and a pointlessly close up pic of the old angled mount. 

PXL_20221227_214334401_1.jpg

PXL_20221229_212547729_1.jpg

Edited by Scott-S6