UTM grid not present

DimSim

Playing a campaign mission, I'm asked to enter UTM coords for a precision attack. Have done this many times.

However, sometimes the grid reference is not present or available on the ODU.  In this case, I needed EU but the 9 values included only EN, EO, EP, EQ.  Looking at the F10 map, and flying over where the target was, I was flying directly over EU at that time, but still the ODU did not offer the necessary grid reference.  The manual says that repeatedly pressing the UTM button will display the 9 grid references at and around your current location.

I've encountered this before, but just assumed I was just too far from the target location while orbiting, and in the past the grid choice did eventually turn up. This time I could not get it to display and I was clearly over the target.  Switching SOI to Map, I could move the target or waypoint near the correct location, but could not enter precise coordinates for precision bombing.

Any idea what's going on here? Could this be a bug?

8 hours ago, DimSim said:

Any idea what's going on here?

You need to create a waypoint/target designation near the desired grid square, if you've already designated a TOO/waypoint you may find the ODU grid selection limited to squares near that point until you either create/designate a new waypoint/target point or erase/zero your existing target point i.e. T1

In my test, Designating WP 2, 3 or 4 gave TOO ODU options to select grid EU for a NEW target point.

AV8B UTM Test Syria, 2_9_2_49940.jpg

Could this be a bug?

The AV-8B's designation logic isn't user friendly but it's hard tell how much of the rough edges we see are due to DCS/Razbam and how much is just the way the aircraft is in RL.

For example - I initially created a TOO Overfly Point and it took me a while to workout how to stop the system focusing on the nearby T1 target point and let me designate 140 NM away, near WP 2, 3 or 4.

AFAIK Razbam are hoping to start a designation/INS rework later this year.

Switching SOI to Map, I could move the target or waypoint near the correct location, but could not enter precise coordinates for precision bombing.

It should have worked i.e.
• I created a TOO Overfly Point (T1) near WP1
• Used the EHSI Data page to slew T1 to Grid EU
• Exited Data mode, then re-entered it to
• Select UTM mode, select Grid EU, then edited the co-ordinates to match my target.
• Exiting Data mode, I confirmed target bearing, distance, altitude and coordinates were as expected

Edited by Ramsay
Tested slewing a Target Point to EU and then edited it's coordinates
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

@Ramsay Thanks for your fast and detailed response.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by "You need to create a waypoint/target designation near the desired grid square, if you've already designated a TOO/waypoint you may find the ODU grid selection limited to squares near that point until you either create/designate a new waypoint/target point or erase/zero your existing target point i.e. T1"

Perhaps you mean that I need to already have a nearby waypoint selected OR waypoint designated first, then create the new point?

I guess it does make sense that currently selected or designated point would be used as reference for a new one rather than the aircraft's current location, to assist building a route, otherwise a pilot may need to overfly a target just to enter coordinates!

In my case, the mission had 3 waypoints over a city, very close to the location I needed, however I did not have any of those 3 waypoints selected, instead I was orbiting another waypoint further out. I was using Target points instead of waypoints and repeated the process twice but did not zero or delete the first one.

7 hours ago, DimSim said:

Perhaps you mean that I need to already have a nearby waypoint selected OR waypoint designated first, then create the new point?

AFAIK it can be a nearby waypoint or target point you've got selected but you are broadly correct.

This video may help but I think you already have a good understanding of the principle.

7 hours ago, DimSim said:

I was using Target points instead of waypoints and repeated the process twice but did not zero or delete the first one.

I suspect that (like in my case) the targeting system had "fixated" on the first target point created, so offered grid squares near that.

Slewing an existing target point closer to the target area "should" have allowed you to edit-in the precise coordinates later, so it's definitely worth retrying that method.

• Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080