Steam Authorization Failed

Chaffee

For no apparent reason, I have lost all access to all content I pay the license fee for through Steam.

Some details:

I just purchased the A-10A.

My account is not "bound" to a separate DCS account.

I did a search. Search didn't respond to my specific problem.

There's a separate login inside DCS I've never used. I figured maybe I needed to register on that. ED's registration website never resolves.

Screenshots attached.

So, ED team, what's up? I think it's a reasonable expectation that I not lose access to items I've purchased, offline, online, or whatever. Have I done something wrong here? 

-Eric

IMG_20240211_201145.jpg

IMG_20240211_201240.jpg

IMG_20240211_201227.jpg

IMG_20240211_201202.jpg

If you have not produced an official manual, it's costing you sales. I'm a writer and editor of more than 40 books (and tens of thousands of pages of documentation), so if you are struggling to finish your manual, DM me.

Interesting. Thanks for the response.

Happy Monday morning, Eagle Dynamics. We'd appreciate a status update on this. Thank you.

If you have not produced an official manual, it's costing you sales. I'm a writer and editor of more than 40 books (and tens of thousands of pages of documentation), so if you are struggling to finish your manual, DM me.

Follow-up: if this is a server-side issue (as it appears to be, since several other people are experiencing this right now), I'd like to suggest a different message from "Your DLC has been de-authorized," which is straight-up bad from a UX perspective.

"Our servers are down, but we're working on it. Thank you for your patience" works.

I'm being serious, BTW. From a user perspective, the current message looks like I've been hacked/scammed.

"De-authorized" sounds like I'm going to have to do a lot of work to get this thing back online. Do I have to re-authorize something? Have all my keybindings been trashed?

This may seem like a small thing, but it's a solid axiom not to make your users appear to have done something wrong when they've done nothing wrong (and honestly, even when they have).

This feedback is intended constructively: as a new user of DCS, having recently returned to serious flight simming -- i.e. someone who is looking to invest time and money into a long arc here, "We're experience technical difficulties" massively better than YOU HAVE BEEN DE-AUTHORIZED. 😉

Edited by Chaffee
  • Like 2

"The web site is not available at the moment. Offline 
mode requires a saved password and a successful 
login to operate."   

But not even THAT works in off-line mode.

This what i'm getting.

Still.... it would be kind for a paid service operator to send out a general message that a server is down.... >> customer service. No offence.

Edited by RWC
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Chaffee said:

Follow-up: if this is a server-side issue (as it appears to be, since several other people are experiencing this right now), I'd like to suggest a different message from "Your DLC has been de-authorized," which is straight-up bad from a UX perspective.

"Our servers are down, but we're working on it. Thank you for your patience" works.

I'm being serious, BTW. From a user perspective, the current message looks like I've been hacked/scammed.

"De-authorized" sounds like I'm going to have to do a lot of work to get this thing back online. Do I have to re-authorize something? Have all my keybindings been trashed?

This may seem like a small thing, but it's a solid axiom not to make your users appear to have done something wrong when they've done nothing wrong (and honestly, even when they have).

This feedback is intended constructively: as a new user of DCS, having recently returned to serious flight simming -- i.e. someone who is looking to invest time and money into a long arc here, "We're experience technical difficulties" massively better than YOU HAVE BEEN DE-AUTHORIZED. 😉

So since you are new here, this is more than likely EDs sever crapped out on them, and they are scrambling to get it up. They announce planned maintenance in advance. 

Honestly the wording of the message is a mute point, your client is telling you exactly what is wrong.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scooter556 said:

Honestly the wording of the message is a mute point, your client is telling you exactly what is wrong.

I'm not sure I follow. The message tells me my licensed purchases have been de-authorized. That sounds like a bigger problem than "the server is down; sorry."

The wording matters. 100%.

As a new user, (but not an idiot/n00b in general) this puts me off. UX is a thing. I'm reporting this as a confusing and off-putting UX moment that, as a new user, has given me pause RE: my LTV.

Edited by Chaffee
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chaffee said:

I'm not sure I follow. The message tells me my licensed purchases have been de-authorized. That sounds like a bigger problem than "the server is down; sorry."

The wording matters. 100%.

In one of your posts, you say "De-authorized", does not match your screenshots, this is not the first time this has happened, and was well covered in post's in the past year.

Which is funny, if you google "DCS Failed to get authorization" the first 3 results that show up cover this.

I think its a bold assumption with your "hacked/scammed" statement. But I guess we can beg ask ED to sugar coat error messages so we don't get our feelings hurt about a game breaking.......

Mountains out of mole hills or something like that........

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Scooter556 said:

But I guess we can beg ask ED to sugar coat error messages so we don't get our feelings hurt about a game breaking.......

Mountains out of mole hills or something like that........

Haha! 😄 

The 502 error is also a common one. Google it next time guys, it'll give you clues! 😉

Cheers!