DCS Crash after initial load

JRMBigBird
Go to solution Solved by hornblower793,

I get the DCS launcher and title screen.

Then just before the main menu screen loads it crashes.

Faulting application name: DCS.exe, version: 2.9.2.49940, time stamp: 0x658af988
Faulting module name: edCore.dll, version: 2.9.2.49940, time stamp: 0x657c5679
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000073e4
Faulting process ID: 0x0x88DC
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA64ACAB550576
Faulting application path: D:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\edCore.dll
Report ID: 1e41f7e7-c3b8-4401-9773-3c4f9ef6d856
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

This is after a full repair.

No mods installed.

• ED Team

hi, 

please attach the full dcs log, it may have more clues. 

also let us know your system spec. 

also are you using oculus / meta software

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hope it's ok if I piggyback here I'm getting this too, same DCS version. Multithread and regular. I do have Oculus software installed, error happens whether or not it is open or headset is plugged in.

I can't find the log, could you please advise where it is likely to be?

Edit: Nevermind, here it is.

My system spec:

Intel i7-12700F

PNY Nvidia RTX 4080

MSI Z690 Carbon Wi-Fi

Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 1TB

Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB

G.Skill Trident Z5 C36 32GB DDR5

Windows 11 Home

If you need to know anything else please say so.

dcs.log

Edited by Horns
Found log

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

11 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

hi, 

please attach the full dcs log, it may have more clues. 

also let us know your system spec. 

also are you using oculus / meta software

thanks

Hey BigNewy. 
I'll upload the dcs log tonight when I'm back home.

System spec as follows:

AMD 3900k @ 4.2

Asus 2080ti.

64gb Ram @ 3600Mhz.

Samsung SSD 2TB

Windows 11.

I am using A rift S on Meta software.

1 hour ago, Horns said:

Hope it's ok if I piggyback here I'm getting this too, same DCS version. Multithread and regular. I do have Oculus software installed, error happens whether or not it is open or headset is plugged in.

Uncheck PTC in Occulus and it should let you downgrade to previous version of the Occulus software and that will likely solve your issue.

It's the software on your computer rather than the headset causing the issue so that's why unplugging it likely isn't helping

34 minutes ago, rob10 said:

Uncheck PTC in Occulus and it should let you downgrade to previous version of the Occulus software and that will likely solve your issue.

It's the software on your computer rather than the headset causing the issue so that's why unplugging it likely isn't helping

Thanks heaps, all running now. I had completely forgotten I'd opted into PTC so definitely no loss opting out.

Cheers

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

Running into this now too; same errors shown in event viewer. Troubleshooting but no luck so far. Have done a fast repair on DCS, have moved off PublicTest in Oculus app. Trying a few other things, but cannot get DCS to run at this time (in 2D or VR; ST or MT). Will try downgrading Nvidia drivers (just updated them today).

Edit: Tried these things, the game is still crashing:

• Downgraded Nvidia drivers
  • Removed custom modules
  • Disabled OpenXR toolkit
  • Long repair.

Edit 2: Ok, I checked event viewer again and saw this repeated error: "Session "OculusVadApoEventTrace" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035". 

I completely killed any running Oculus service via task manager and DCS finally ran. 

Now troubleshooting why the Oculus app is throwing these errors. I have changed to different test branches, and not sure what has changed.

Edited by PowerBlade34

43 minutes ago, PowerBlade34 said:

Running into this now too; same errors shown in event viewer. Troubleshooting but no luck so far. Have done a fast repair on DCS, have moved off PublicTest in Oculus app. Trying a few other things, but cannot get DCS to run at this time (in 2D or VR; ST or MT). Will try downgrading Nvidia drivers (just updated them today).

I don't use Oculus software so I don't know exactly how it works, but did you DOWNGRADE to the previous version after you moved off the Public Test version?  Although if it's not working in 2D either then downgrading the Nvidia is likely a better starting point to look at.

Edited by rob10

8 minutes ago, rob10 said:

I don't use Oculus software so I don't know exactly how it works, but did you DOWNGRADE to the previous version after you moved off the Public Test version?  Although if it's not working in 2D either then downgrading the Nvidia is likely a better starting point to look at.

FWIW I actually didn’t downgrade, when I saw the update start I figured I’d try it and see, and that worked for me.

1 minute ago, Horns said:

FWIW I actually didn’t downgrade, when I saw the update start I figured I’d try it and see, and that worked for me.

OK, so it does automatically revert itself then.  That's what I wasn't sure of.  Just seen that it need to go "back" a version.  Thanks for the info!

• Solution

Are you using VR, in particular an Oculus device (you have an Oculus device listed in audio)?

Your log stops at the point where VR loads in.

If you are then there is a known issue with the latest PTC Oculus driver and you need to roll it back

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I apologize for taking this a bit OT, but I’m just about to shell out for a VR headset for use exclusively in DCS. I was going to get the Quest 3, but is the software buggy? Am I better off going for a vive? I’m going to report these problems to meta either way, since the PTC build is likely to influence the next release build…

1 hour ago, Horns said:

I apologize for taking this a bit OT, but I’m just about to shell out for a VR headset for use exclusively in DCS. I was going to get the Quest 3, but is the software buggy? Am I better off going for a vive? I’m going to report these problems to meta either way, since the PTC build is likely to influence the next release build…

Oculus has always been a bit temperamental but Virtual Desktop is very reliable. Many people prefer to use this over oculus. It cost about $15.

Don't be put off the Q3 just because of this recent oculus update.

Another option to consider is the P4 if you can get hold of one where you live. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

2 hours ago, Qcumber said:

Oculus has always been a bit temperamental but Virtual Desktop is very reliable. Many people prefer to use this over oculus. It cost about $15.

Don't be put off the Q3 just because of this recent oculus update.

Another option to consider is the P4 if you can get hold of one where you live. 

Cheers, not sure how available or supported P4 would be where I am, so I probably will go the Q3. Thanks very much for the info 👍

2 hours ago, Horns said:

Cheers, not sure how available or supported P4 would be where I am, so I probably will go the Q3. Thanks very much for the info 👍

Q3 will have better longevity as I am sure there will be lots of updates. The P4 is a lot cheaper and is more "bare bones". 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mailman76 said:

dcs.log 16.98 kB · 0 downloads

I'm also having issues with the game crashing at splash screen.  Everything was running fine for a day or 2 then I started having issues.  I'm currently running v62 on

Had you done the steps to prevent updating?  Having PTC off only worked until a few days ago when V63 was automatically pushed as their release version, so if you hadn't already taken active steps (beyond not opting into PTC)  to prevent updating you're likely on V63 and have it's issues now.

1 hour ago, Mailman76 said:

it shows that I'm currently running V62. I also didn't opt in to the PTC so it was already turned off.

v63 is live and not PTC, your app probably auto-updated, sadly no fix, only workarounds (virtual desktop by wifi or steamvr) 

7 hours ago, adam34aus said:

I have PTC turned off but how do I roll back to v62 please

That solution no longer works since last week when Meta pushed V63 as the release version.  Look in the other threads and there are some other work arounds until ED pushes the fix from their end.