Tpod mfd screen very dark by default

sirrah

Hey all

I recently picked up the AV8B again (after a long time pretty much only flying the Apache) and I'm now it the process of training refreshment 😅

Forgive me if this was asked already, but I can't remember this from back in my DCS AV8B days.

When I select my tpod, the screen by default is completely dark, as in, I can't see anything (apart from the tpod symbology). Only after holding the gain button below the mfd for a few seconds, the image starts to appear.

This happens both after cold and dark startup, or when I start hot.

Is this normal behavior? Or am I missing some way to quickly get a properly visible image?

Does the jet irl "remember" the mfd gain and contrast settings?

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

You may want to fiddle around with the Gain setting to get the best results but I did find having contrast at about 70 was a good fit. With the gain too high I was finding that the EHSD map was too bright and I couldn't see the text for the push buttons so I set mine at around 40 for Gain.

• Like 1

I've set my monitor with low brightness because of eyestrain, that could explain why my values are so high. BTW: I change the fonts color because they're always hard to read with the map in background. (manual, page 405)

Edited by BJ55
  • Like 2

I7-12700F, 64GB DDR4 3600 (XMP1), Asus Z670M, MSI RTX 3070, TIR 5, TM WH VPC base, Win10 Pro

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Seems I cheered a bit too early and, as I see now, didn't properly read @Gunnar81's reply.

I've been fiddling with the special MPCD gain and contrast options, but now, either my left EHSD mfd is waay too bright, or my right tpod is unreadable dark..

I don't really understand why all this has been implemented by Razbam in the first place. This used to not be an issue when the module was released (just like this isn't an issue on any of the other ff modules). Has all this at some point been explained by Razbam?

Sure, it's not the end of the world, but why did Razbam change this while it.. well.. didn't need change?

Fwiw: I'm using a Reverb G1

• Like 1

System specs:

I don't know what happened, some patch last year came in and borked the screen lighting. There is another thread out there somewhere asking for default setting for each screen individually but you  are right, everything was fine in the past. I mostly use the Harrier when I'm in DCS and prior to last year, I never had to touch the contrast/gain except for rare tweaks in low light conditions.

Edited by Gunnar81
  • Like 1