Mouse pointer bound to head movements, physical mouse ignored

Landei

I know, old issue - but nagging as ever! And that easy to solve!

Problem: Mouse pointer shows up if moving the mouse, allowing precise selections and actions using the *mouse*. But as soon as your head moves just a tiny bit, the mouse pointer hooks to your head's movements, ignores the physical mouse.
This is extremely ugly because your head always shakes a little, causing the mouse pointer to jiggle around, hindering precise selections, forcing a hostile takeover of the pointer. Controlling the pointer with your head is very imprecise, uncomfortable and counter-intuitive
Also, you can't look straight ahead out of the cockpit (or elsewhere) while controlling the mouse pointer, you are forced to staring exactly at the item you wish to control.

I understand that behavior was made as a workaround for VR players without a physical mouse in reach. It just works fine for that purpose.
But if you try to avail the higher precision and far better comfort of a real mouse, that workaround is a plain nuisance and a sharp pain in the you-know-where.

Remedy: Tie the mouse pointer to the physical mouse as soon as physical mouse movements are detected, fully ignore head movements till pointer fades out.

It's that simple: VR players without a physical mouse can still use the workaround, users of a real mouse can choose their preferred control mode. Best of both worlds. Maybe accompanied with a settings option for selecting one single or both control modes.

• Like 1

I just don't understand why they don't fix it - it really is a simple thing to remedy, also won't introduce any drawbacks for mouse and non-mouse pilots.
Maybe it's a similar thing to being unable to move levers using the mouse (at least in the Apache). 🙂