I-16 in general ..

jackd

Just curious: about the I-16 now early 2024.

I tried it about a year ago extensively. I did not like it as far as all the manual handling needed like getting the wheels up with repeated pressings etc.

The i-16 is OK in IL2 great battles, but i really could not come to grips with it in DCS.

Is it still the same in DCS or are there improvements, f.i. more automated functions now?

If there were any more automated functions anywhere it wouldn't be the very first modern low wing monoplane with retractable gear and closed cockpit (Type 5) fighter in History 🙃 .

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I think it's the same in 2024.
As for "repeated pressings"... if you can spare a 3-way latching toggle switch, for example on the throttle's base or wherever, then you can bind the crank to the switch and it will turn the crank on its own, no repeated pressings neccessary.

I have these funny gear controls bound as in the picture lower down (2x 2-way toggles, 2x 3-way toggles), but you can have it arranged simpler: a button for "gear up/down ready" and the aforementioned 3-way latching switch, so you don't have to keep pressing hold the "crank button" until your finger goes pale. More info to be found in this post:

My silly setup (fully elaborate, I'm not using this "gear up/down ready" feature):

warthogdual-6-475349147.jpg

Edited by scoobie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box