Difference in fuel density between main and slipper fuel tanks

While making a fuel and payload calculator, I noticed a difference in fuel density used by ED between the internal and external fuel tanks. Any reason for this, perhaps a variation in octane that could provide and extra boost when switching tanks ?

Also, both drop tanks types carry the exact amount of fuel, with one being just heavier, what’s the point, better air penetration ?

ED Lbs per Gal int 6,4  
ED Lbs per Gal Ext 6  

GAL LBS
Top Tank   48 308
Bottom Tank 37 237
Total internal 85 545

Lbs
45 Gal Torpedo drop Tank empty weight 49
45 Gal of Fuel   270
45 Gal Slipper drop Tank empty weight 35
45 Gal of Fuel   270

Best,

Lau

• Like 3

No customer support or modules in an abandoned state can only mean no further investments from ED’s customers. ED and third party developers are solely responsible for the level of features completeness at which they decide to release their modules.  Taking in to account customers feedback as well as finishing the products is paramount. After release, modules should be playable with important essential features completed at very early stages after the release, including bug fixes. ED & partners staffs should grow with the addition of newer modules in order to not diminish the level of customer support or further delay delivery as per the initial sales agreement. The virtual world we fly with our modules is equally important; there is no way around AI, real weather and the earth map. Thank you

Standard weight of avgas is 6lbs per US gallon.

For imperial gallons that figure is 7.2lbs per gallon.

https://aviation.govt.nz/assets/publications/products/fuel-conversion-factors-sticker-avgas.pdf

I don't have access to my rig at rhe moment but if someone could please check what DCS shows the full internal fuel weight as and post a screenshot, that would be helpful.

I don't know where Lau's weights come from. AP1565J Vol 1, the Spitfire IX descriptive handbook, gives the correct empty and full weights plus moments to add or subtract from the CG. It also gives the 45 gallon torpedo tank as a 50 gallon item, interestingly. See below, and for blister tank read slipper tank.

You can see by some elementary sums that the RAF weight for petrol is 6.2lbs/gallon.

Screenshot_20240323_082941_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Like 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

In DCS Spitfire.

Internal fuel weight is 247kgs, it is 2,905kgs per gallon.

If i add external fuel tank, no matter which one, fuel weight is 370 kgs, then it is 2,85 kgs per gallon.

Yes, when i add external fuel, weight per gallon goes down. It shoud not...

Edited by saburo_cz

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

247kg is 544lbs. This equates to a fuel weight of 6.4lbs/gal. Which is neither the RAF WW2 100/130 octane petrol weight nor the modern avgas weight.

I will raise this.

• Like 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

@Skewgear

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at this, by the way the figures I used are from the ME. I have created a topic on the bugs & problems, please flag it as reported when possible.

Link to the problem report

Your findings on the cylindrical external tank capacity are interesting, not sure how the Spit will cope with that extra weight since it has a very limited payload for fuel, especially with bombs mounted.

Best,

Lau

No customer support or modules in an abandoned state can only mean no further investments from ED’s customers. ED and third party developers are solely responsible for the level of features completeness at which they decide to release their modules.  Taking in to account customers feedback as well as finishing the products is paramount. After release, modules should be playable with important essential features completed at very early stages after the release, including bug fixes. ED & partners staffs should grow with the addition of newer modules in order to not diminish the level of customer support or further delay delivery as per the initial sales agreement. The virtual world we fly with our modules is equally important; there is no way around AI, real weather and the earth map. Thank you