Helmet mounted sight

Go to solution Solved by Schmidtfire,

Hi,

First, thank you for the first red side aircraft, I have been waiting for this for years!

According to this article : https://migflug.com/jetflights/german-luftwaffe-mig-29-fulcrum/

Is this Mig-29 version be equipped with the helmet mounted sight?

Sorry if this question is not really relevant, I don't know exactly all variants of the Mig-29 and how they are equipped with.

Thanks,

Vincent

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

• Solution

Yes. From the announcement:

The OEPS includes an optical location station OLS that consists of an Infrared Search and Track System (IRST), a Laser Range Finder (LRF), and a Helmet-Mounted Sight (HMS) designation system.

It's the first one that could reasonably be called modern. Of the others, only MiG-21 has a Fox 1, and it's more like a radar guided Sidewinder than anything. MiG-29 will be the first Red aircraft with any sort of BVR capability.

48 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

It's the first one that could reasonably be called modern. Of the others, only MiG-21 has a Fox 1, and it's more like a radar guided Sidewinder than anything. MiG-29 will be the first Red aircraft with any sort of BVR capability.

You didn't say anything about "modern" above... 😉

6 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

OP might just be a modern-only player. That's by far the most popular part of DCS.

Since I don't have any statistical data on this, I don't know if "modern" is the most popular era. Since there are currently mainly modern modules, it stands to reason that these are the ones that are flown. You will only be able to judge it well when the many cold war modules that are being developed are released in the future.

C-130, Tornado, F-100, Mig-29, A-7, A-6, MIG-23/17, Kfir, F4U, F6F, LA-7, CH-47, Kiowa, F-4, F-104, J-8II, F-8, G.91R, BO-105, Eurofighter, A1-H Skyraider (most are Cold War era or earlier)

Edited by felixx75

Older modules being brought up to current standards will also help: MiG-21, MiG-15, F-86, F-5E, …

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset