Discount

henkieee6

Ok now I am really confused :D 1 dude gives me a great solution (as far as I am concerned far too perfect to be true but whatever) a product without a proper communety BUT much cheaper....

The other product (outside of free track then) is much more expensive but has a very big communety and lot of people talking about it...

I think I'll just wait for the money. Unless someone can prove to me that Cachya works just as good as track ir. Because the vids don't prove anything, because they could just as good have been made with track ir...

Sharkster, I have had that happen to me quite often and I have isolated it to two possible scenarios:

1) I am forced by my furniture and room layout to be pretty close to the screen, which strongly limits the TIR's field of view. I will often be very very close to the edge and at that point even uncounscious movements can cause the TIR to lose track. Just because you didn't move on purpose doesn't mean you didn't move.

2) Once again, I am pretty close to the screen, and sometimes (as has been mentioned) there will be IR reflections off of my face or glasses. I have verified that through checking out the tracker view, and most often (on my settings) it will be able to discriminate between the various reflections. But sometimes the glasses or whatever can cause a reflection that is stronger than the reflectors, and then it will quite naturally (teeheh, geddit? :D ) get confused.

I believe Naturalpoint's recommendation is that it is to be set up in such a manner that you will be at a range of 2 to 6 feet from the IR source and tracker, and I find that the problem only really arises when I violate that inner limit. (Violating the outer limit requires some awesome quantum tunneling effects with my furniture. :P )

The end point though is that since I started suspecting what was happening and isolated those two scenarios, the only time I get the problem is if I either cause it on purpose just for giggles, or make the tracker REALLY confused through taking off the reflectors mid-flight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Ok now I am really confused :D 1 dude gives me a great solution (as far as I am concerned far too perfect to be true but whatever) a product without a proper communety BUT much cheaper....

The other product (outside of free track then) is much more expensive but has a very big communety and lot of people talking about it...

I think I'll just wait for the money. Unless someone can prove to me that Cachya works just as good as track ir. Because the vids don't prove anything, because they could just as good have been made with track ir...

Suit yourself. Makes no difference to me. I have nothing to do with the Cachya developers, I just use their product. I just thought I'd offer a more affordable solution to your dilemma. It's up to you whether you want to believe the videos or not. I just spent the better part of last night putting together a video using Cachya with DCS Black Shark to show you guys how well it works. At least I started to learn how to make a video. I kind of wanted to figure that out any way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Call Sign: Warhammer

I would suspect that that's down to using different spectrum and a different discrimination algorithm - TrackIR sends light in a specific frequency to scan the field and collects the reflections, whereas (if my understanding is correct, I don't use it so correct me if I am wrong) Cachya works in the normal spectrum and looks more for a specific geometric shape rather than specific reflections?

The TrackIR software is able to correct for the problem - once one knows what to search for it's pretty easy to adjust the sensitivities and so on. But it's one of those drawbacks that comes from the underlying technology - but the gains from being able to use it in the dark and so on far outweigh them, in my own personal opinion.

(BTW, a neat little fun trick - most cell phone cameras have pretty cheap IR filters, so with quite a lot of them you can actually see the IR light beaming out of the TrackIR. It looks awesome. :D)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

How do you adjust the sensitivities for someone wearing glasses on Track IR. Just in case I happen to try out Track IR again.

The one thing I do, which is a must, is use it in the day time. If Track IR doesn't work as well in day time light, I wouldn't want it. All my gaming is mostly done during the day. My computer isn't in a very dark room. Cachya works awesome for me any time of day.

Edited by Sharkster64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Open the profile, then open the Tracking view where one sees all reflections. There you press Settings. Within that settings screen you can activate "Light Filtering" and set it's strength - and you can then directly see in the tracking view how the various reflections increase or decrease in appearance. Since the reflectors are tailored for the frequency, but most other things (like your glasses) aren't, this will affect the reflectors a lot less than the unwelcome reflection sources.

And a note on the glasses - I find that it's actually them little nose-rest thingies that reflect, not the glasses themselves. On my glasses, anyway.

EDIT: And something I tested with the Tracking view and Head view up just now - I took off my glasses and moved them closer to the tracker and could actually find a very specific point where the tracker got confused, changed color on one of the three reflectors to red (meaning it's not tracked anymore) and changed the glass reflection to green (meaning it's now tracked instead). That caused an insanely rapid view movement, and I could even find a spot where just the natural shakiness of my hands was enough to make it sit on the threshold and flicker between which reflections it liked the most - that was some awesome headbanging happening on screen then. :P

But then I put the light filters on again. :D

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I would suspect that that's down to using different spectrum and a different discrimination algorithm - TrackIR sends light in a specific frequency to scan the field and collects the reflections, whereas (if my understanding is correct, I don't use it so correct me if I am wrong) Cachya works in the normal spectrum and looks more for a specific geometric shape rather than specific reflections?

You are right in the way Cachya works. It tracks a geometric shape that you attach to a hat. This geometric shape is white surrounded by a black border. The Cachya software can be confused as well if you want it to. If there were any other bright white objects that came into the field of view, it can start tracking that object. On that note, they have to be in the foreground though. In front of me and not behind me. I have white blinds situated right behind me in the field of view, but cachya never tracks my blinds.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds like an overall pretty good solution. I still probably prefer the IR solution overall, but not having tested Cachya I will not go as far as to make a judgement on a product I haven't tested.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well the greatest benefit to Cachya over the others to me, as someone who owns none of them yet, is they have a trial version of their product. I just downloaded it and will let you know how it works. I know it's only one axis, but the full tracking software is included, so one can see how "off" the software can get thrown.

I would try it tonight, but I can't print out the little geometric shape it wants me to because i'm all out of ink, and shops are closed around here right now, so it will wait until tomorrow. If it ends up being as Mickey Mouse as I suspect (I'm just natrually skeptical) I will let you all know. I have a totally unbiased opinion. I have enough money to get TrackIR if I want, but if I can do it for $14, and I can try it for free, I think I'd be stupid not to. Will let you all know what I think of Cachya tomorrow night!

Well the greatest benefit to Cachya over the others to me, as someone who owns none of them yet, is they have a trial version of their product. I just downloaded it and will let you know how it works. I know it's only one axis, but the full tracking software is included, so one can see how "off" the software can get thrown.

I would try it tonight, but I can't print out the little geometric shape it wants me to because i'm all out of ink, and shops are closed around here right now, so it will wait until tomorrow. If it ends up being as Mickey Mouse as I suspect (I'm just natrually skeptical) I will let you all know. I have a totally unbiased opinion. I have enough money to get TrackIR if I want, but if I can do it for $14, and I can try it for free, I think I'd be stupid not to. Will let you all know what I think of Cachya tomorrow night!

If you can't print it out, just draw the sign on a piece of paper using the template on the website. Thats all I did, (didn't have a printer at the time). I was skeptical about this program as well before I tried it, because everyone was saying you have to get Track IR. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. I was even more happy with Cachya when I had an opportunity to try a friends Track IR. I'm happy with my overall decision to try Cachya.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well if 2 people are positive about cachya tonight then maybe I will consider buying it... Sorry about the last post sharkster but 1 person saying its a good product just isn't enough for me. Im too sceptical for that :D

And normally I don't buy anything off the internet, especially not from sites were there is almost no activity and where no vids can be found from using Youtube...

These are my settings that I prefer. I suggest setting yours up to these settings at first and then tweaking it from there to your preference. I am not a huge fan of the head roll axis so I have that one set not very sensitive. You might feel different though, so you might want to try turning up the sensitivity on the roll axis. The screen shots of my settings are at http://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=218 ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm busy with my own economy over here, man... :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well if 2 people are positive about cachya tonight then maybe I will consider buying it... Sorry about the last post sharkster but 1 person saying its a good product just isn't enough for me. Im too sceptical for that :D

And normally I don't buy anything off the internet, especially not from sites were there is almost no activity and where no vids can be found from using Youtube...

Hey, I hear you. I heard about cachya from one person on this forum as well, so I was feeling pretty skeptical myself. However, I tried the free download with the one axis, and it worked so well, that I figured for 15 bucks, I had to try it. 15 bucks is a movie and popcorn these days.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]