F16 Livery has a strange cut from fuselage with darker wings

Go to solution Solved by Lord Vader,

As per the title, the default skin for the F16 (and a few others. i.e. Bulldogs,) have a "cut" in the color tonality between the fuselage and the wings, with wings being noticibly darker since last update 

12242bd0-3c4d-4fe0-99f2-543100b52c85.jpg

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team
  • Solution

Hey, @Kid18120

We've reviewed your report regarding different shading/colors between the wings and the fuselage.

As you know, the wings are separate objects in this model and, as such, there could very well be an issue between the object textures. 

However, we've analysed these textures and come to the conclusion that what you're experiencing is a matter of perspective and lighting. You see, between the wings themselves and the fuselage, there is a faceted angle and the upper fuselage itself is at a different angle. So at certain lighting positions, it can cause the illusion of a different textures or shading, when in fact it's just the lighting affecting the model from different perspectives. As a reference, here's a real F-16C also creating this illusion:

4707683.jpg

Just an example to show you that there's nothing wrong with the DCS textures, this is an image of the sun directly forward and above and, as you can see, there's no shading, color or brightness difference between both wings and the fuselage, aside from some cosmetic dirt/grime added to the textures.

Screen_240528_000833.png

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

Vader is correct. I almost raised the same concern when making my skins. If you adjust the light in the model viewer so it hits both the fuselage and wing root at the same angle the colors match.

Thanks for the feedback Vader. Much appreciated 👍🏻

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850