DCS Blackshark and Windows 7 RC

Buznee

Anyone getting BS working okay in Windows 7 RC? I am having issues with changing settings. I go into the graphic settings menu and try to adjust resolution, graphics settings and switching to full screen, I then hit okay and nothing happens. I also tried going into the config folder, opening up graphics.cfg, changing the resolutions to my native resolution and setting full screen to 1, saving it off. Still no change. Please help =P

Yes, in general terms it works fine. Win7rc1x64 here.

Here's a couple of threads with various results.

Some troubleshooting here

Some optimizing here

Your drivers are the most likely cause for your problems. Update them of course.

Check a bit over in the Problem and Bugs forum :)

Edited by Panzertard

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Anyone getting BS working okay in Windows 7 RC? I am having issues with changing settings. I go into the graphic settings menu and try to adjust resolution, graphics settings and switching to full screen, I then hit okay and nothing happens. I also tried going into the config folder, opening up graphics.cfg, changing the resolutions to my native resolution and setting full screen to 1, saving it off. Still no change. Please help =P

Are you running RC1 with an admin account?

Have you checked that the BS folder is not write-protected?

I think there was a problem with the RC1 edition where the root folder wasn't getting the proper permissions which meant if you installed something directly off the root folder it was causing some programs to fail because of this. They put out a patch a few days after the RC1 became available to fix this but if you didn't apply the patch or installed something between installing Win 7 and the applying the patch it might cause problems.

I don't know if that's the situation here. I would think you'd probably have a lot more problems than just not being able to change settings. I'm guessing it's more likely a driver issue.

-- CoolHand

It seems that all my drives and files and folder are set to read only. I've been reading there is a patch called CleanWin7rcroot.exe that supposed to address this? I don't see it in the windows update unforunately. Anyone have an idea of how I can get this file? I tried right clicking on the eagle dynamics folder and unchecking read only and applying. It does not allow me, telling me I need administrator permissions. How do I go about that? I only put one user name for my computer with no password. If I logout, there is no administrator button to switch to.

EDIT: I just found that my username is the adminsitrator but I still cannot remove the read only attributes!

Appreciate your help!

Edited by Buznee

Not that I would recommend being logged in with the Administrator account - it should be used for special maintenance only.

While installing / playing games you should be able to use the account you created when you installed Win7.

That said - it sound strange that the admin account doesn't have permissions to change the read only settings. Not normal.

UAC settings - tried to disable it on the admin account?

In perspective of what kind of problems you have, I doubt it's only DCS:BS that is fubar, if what you say is correct.

Hence I would seriously considered three options:

1. Try to create a new account with admin permissions - and reinstall the game. With UAC active (default settings).

2. Repairing it might be an option. You can rollback to an earlier date with the system restore.

3. Reinstall Win7 - you shouldnt have that kind of problems, more components could be severly affected.

All in all - the time you will spend trying to "fix a broken win 7" is better invested in a proper re-install of Win 7.

2 hours of work.

Good luck :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

• 1 month later...

I thought all was well with Windows 7 and Black Shark RC x32. I have the latest version with updates. I was able to host and join BS. Now, when I try to join a server, On the screen Where you select a Helo, the screen goes black. I can hear the sound of the helo when it goes to that screen, and move my mouse, but the screen is black.

I do not remember doing anything to the install to mess it up. it was working fine. I can join the servers in my WinXP install.

Current video driver is ATI Radeon Catalyst 9.6. I use dcsMax to launch it in duo2core.

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I'm running DCS:BS on may MacBook Pro using Bootcamp and Win 7RCx32 without a hitch. However, I've yet to get DCS Max to work it won't change the affinity nor can I set the affinity manually. DCS Max also cannot launch DCS multiplayer gives me some crap about not finding the .exe or having permissions.

Other than that I've had no issues, but this is with a Nvidia card. I have however been plagued with problems on the PeeCee using an ATI HD3870 card and Vista.

The last set of drivers that I could run BS with under Vista was 8.12. If you can, see if you can get a set of those and see if that works for you?

I also found that I needed to make sure full screen was enabled for BS to run properly in Win 7. I normally plug the laptop into the TV and run at max resolution, but multiplayer games would only load and work correctly if full screen was set in the GUI config menus first.

Failing that, try running BS at the same res as your desktop (if you haven't already) and double check all your drivers...

I'm only running one user for Win 7 but do have the Single Player .exe set to run as admin.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.