DCS Updates filling up hard drive

CIWS
Go to solution Solved by MAXsenna,

In order to do the update I removed files so that the update could go ahead, some of those I have to put back, but most of the remaining drive space is available again.

Pointing to another drive/folder for the temp files to run the update would probably be the best solution without having to spend even more money buying bigger primary drives.

• Like 1

• Solution
In order to do the update I removed files so that the update could go ahead, some of those I have to put back, but most of the remaining drive space is available again.
  Pointing to another drive/folder for the temp files to run the update would probably be the best solution without having to spend even more money buying bigger primary drives.
You can do this manually now. In the end of the article is a link to a graphical tool.

https://www.howtogeek.com/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waterman said:

See attached pics i do not have updater steam forces it to happen.

So I set up the dcs.exe shortcut and it still goes through steam   "update this game when i launch it"

Ahh, that works on standalone.  No idea how to do that on Steam (or if it's even possible).

Edited by rob10

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

As you correctly wrote and what the screenshot shows, was that you could select the root drive as the target. IF, ED at the time had forced the creation of a _download folder under the path chosen. There would never have been an issue.
They should look into this again, as more and more users face free space limitations. Could be set through the new launcher/in game. And show the "_download" folder in the path chosen.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Great idea it worked well for me. Time to revisit this ED .... please.

• Like 3

Ref the viseo above by Hog_Driver.

I do this with all my Liveries - I created a link to them in my Saved Gamges/MoDS/aircraft folder - and I stuff the huge liveries folder into anthoer SSD. It works perfectly but this last update I actually had to remove a couple of maps and some aircraft as well, so MANY THANKS Hog, VERY USEFUL.

• Like 1