The Hellfire Deathray

Realize that the apache is a two-person chopper with one guy dodging you and the other guy ready to shoot you at a moment's notice, each with their independent highly sophisticated sensor system ...

Fair point!:thumbup:

Reading EdMacy's review the Ka-50 is like a Longbow in revision mode, the Blackshark is simply a generation behind it seems.

It seems then that things in the world of BS are as they are supposed to be - I should've known ED had got it right! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

That begs another question: the loadout screen for the D model only states "AGM-114" without denoting the missile type. When I'm attacked by Longbow I always get a continuous laser warning. Is that just ED being nice and compensating for the lack of a RWS (doubt that) or is the LB radar used to direct the laser which paints the target for the AGM? Otherwise, why ever get a laser warning with a longbow packing a 114L?

The 114L's can only be launched using the FCR which provides all the target info required to launch without the need to use the laser designator.

I did find this snipet from this website http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-114.html

"In the early 1990s, the Hellfire missile was even evaluated for use against low-speed aerial targets (i.e. helicopters) in both surface-to-air and air-to-air applications. However, these studies did not result in operational anti-helicopter Hellfire missiles."

Interesting indeed!

They do not teach use of Hellfires vs. aircraft. The reason isn't really known though - certainly the missile has good accuracy, and it uses proportional navigation IIRC, but there may be other factors that cause issues with an airborne target (angle of attack, lack of proximity fuze, relatively long guidance constant, etc)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda