"CPU is the limiting factor"

Bisch

You often hear that in BS the CPU is the limiting factor and more GHZ means automatically almost equivalent FPS.

I did buy the fastest AM2+ CPU per Core (as BS uses only one) some months ago. the 6000+ with 3,1GHZ per Core.

I gained some nice FPS from it as well as from installing Win 7 Beta 64 and later then Win 7 64 RC1 to be able to use the Core tools.

Now I can play almost smoothly. Finally more than 20 FPS... in best cases more then 30. But only if nothing happens. Often with only little action there's stuttering. I have medium-low grafic settings. Just a high resolution of 2048x1152 because that's my native TFT resolution and I don't want it to interpolate.

I wonder how other can play with far more FPS although many have quadcore CPUs with less GHZ per core. I know they have more cache, better CPU architecture, higher bus/ram speeds etc but is this already the explanation?

The only thing I can think of, is my fragmented HDD. Can I expect noticeable FPS from a full defrag?

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

There is now utility to force BS to work on two cores or similar like this.

People say it really boost your FPS. I forgot its name, but it is on forum. With your rig you could get all time FPS 30+ even with many action.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

What? On two cores? You are not speaking about tools, that just reserve one core just for BS like Im already using?

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

What? On two cores? You are not speaking about tools, that just reserve one core just for BS like Im already using?

Dunno at all, as I am single corer. But I read it does something that you gain many FPS. Something with cores.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Then I think you are talking about those affinity tools like DCSMax.

I use them since the beginning.

That was the reason to install Win 7 as I said in my first posting.

(which payed off)

Then I think you are talking about those affinity tools like DCSMax.

I use them since the beginning.

That was the reason to install Win 7 as I said in my first posting.

(which payed off)

Yep this tool.

It is weird if you get all only 20-30 FPS. IMHO you should get better as for this rig.

You wrote you have fragmented HDD. Defrag it, in few games example Counter Strike or ArmA mine FPS went higher about 30%. (In my case fragmented was about 80% of partition).

If it doesn't help... hmm I don't want say about drivers cos I guess you thought about it before. But I can suggest various shader, water, haze mods for LO:FC but remaked for BS. I know many of them still work in BS world, due of same files in FC and BS structure.

Edited by Boberro

ಠ_ಠ

ATI 4850 + 2048x1152 = good FPS, but nothing amazing... It's a really big resolution.

I have one X2 6000+ too, with 4GB RAM. In 1680X1050 with a weak 3850 I can get average 25-35 FPS.

Considerable shuttering only when some trigger load units. CPU isn't limiting your performace itself, but the combination 2048x1152 + ATI 4850 + X2 6000+ isn't a really high-end rig for 50+ stable FPS.

thanks for your input guys. Lets see if some extra FPS ca be gained after defrag

Atelophobia: lower the water setting and try setting Affinity to all your cores for a start. If it helps use the DCSMax tool, which is great. Use 4x edge detect AA in your ATI settings.

Thanks Smil! I already use DCSMax. Both cores are checked.

I had 25 FPS after loading the Tutorial Miz from SimHQ.

Edge detect had no effect and water was already set to normal (can you lower it even more in a config file?). Lowering shados to active planar increased startup FPS from 25 to 30.

Well enough but not enough when the action starts I guess.

I ll keep on trying. However, I really dont get how medium quad core owners can reach high FPS

PS: I always found it funny that external (!) view completley boosts the FPS. Even more strange: Although cockpit view brings me the least FPS, increasing cockpit resolution has no negtive FPS effects

Edited by Atelophobia

PS: I always found it funny that external (!) view completley boosts the FPS. Even more strange: Although cockpit view brings me the least FPS, increasing cockpit resolution has no negtive FPS effects

External view is simpler I guess cos there are no so many gauges,, counters ect.

Cockpit resolutions affect only ABRIS resolution, not whole cockpit IIRC.

ಠ_ಠ