Server Ping Timed Out

ericinexile

I get this a lot when I connect to a server with low pings. Is there anything I can do on my end?

I should add that the message states "Server Ping Timeout( >40.000000 sec)". It used to state "30.000000 sec" but based on a thread about Servman I changed the Timeout line on the Network.cfg from 30 to 40. I also read on an old LockOn thread that the Timeout value can be changed to 600! I don't want to do this for fear of really screwing both my online experience and perhaps even others on the server.

Again, help is appreciated.

Edited by ericinexile

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

Well...

I'm not sure what's unusual about low pings. When boot up DCS Multiplayer I see a choice of servers listed in ping order usually from the mid-40's through 200 +. I always thought low is good which I assume is why ED has them display first. But If I choose such a server I usually get the above message within 10 minutes or so. No router.

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

I appreciate the input and advice. Short of getting a definitive answer from ED regarding what events actually tigger the "Server Ping Timeout" message then, as an alternative, I'd like some guidance as to where to go for advanced learning on terms such as "ping" and "server timouts". In this knowledge vacuum I just don't understand how the problem is on my end when it's the server that's timing out. Is it because my system ceased communicating with the server or is it something else? I am NOT conected to a router but rather directly to a cable modem. And while I'm rambling, why would low pings cause a problem? As an interim stab in the dark, I think I will just edit Network.cfg to a 600 second timeout and see where that leads.

Edited by ericinexile

Smokin' Hole