Speed Indication Bug?

Blindspot

Dear ED and forum audience,

the airspeed gauge, the hud and the ground speed output in the ABRIS are always showing the same speed, regardless which altitude flying. This is not possible in real and therefore I think is is a bug.

On the other hand, the higher you fly, the earlier you get the over speed warning. So, there must be any indicated-/true airspeed/groundspeed calculation internally. But why is it obviously not shown on the instruments?

At third, (and maybe this could be my own misunderstanding) why the hell do you get the overspeed warning at lower "indicated" airspeed when flying at higher altidudes? Isn't overspeed because of a possible rotor clash or stall situation and isn't this subject to the forces of the flowing air?? So, if the impact of the flowing air on the rotors falls when the air getting thinner (relative to real or ground speed) so why are the rotor blades bending like in "thicker" air?

Kind regards, Blindspot

Я только понимаю Вокзал.

On number one, that does sound a bit weird. I'll have to try that out.

Number two, that is because altitude ( that is, air thickness) has big effects on what speeds you are at risk. Refer to the plaque on your left which gives a vNE table for altitude and temperature. This connects to number three. At higher altitudes the blades need a higher alpha to produce the same amount of lift, and since forces do not scale equally this causes your vNE to shrink. Temperature also has an impact here if I remember the plaque correctly, I would suspect because it affects how the blades bend.

Also, welcome to the forum. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I wasn't able to replicate your airspeed bug. For me, the HUD and ABRIS both display your ground speed, while the cockpit gauge and the shkval show my indicated air speed. At sea level they are the same, but when I climb the IAS drops off compared to the ground speed values (just as you would expect). Perhaps there is an option in the realism/difficulty menu that may be affecting it? If not then it sounds like something is bugged, but I am not able to replicate it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever" - Napoleon Bonaparte

At third, (and maybe this could be my own misunderstanding) why the hell do you get the overspeed warning at lower "indicated" airspeed when flying at higher altidudes? Isn't overspeed because of a possible rotor clash or stall situation and isn't this subject to the forces of the flowing air?? So, if the impact of the flowing air on the rotors falls when the air getting thinner (relative to real or ground speed) so why are the rotor blades bending like in "thicker" air?

At higher altitudes, the blades need a higher angle of attack to produce the same amount of lift, so they flap more as you get higher, not less.

I wasn't able to replicate your airspeed bug.

Neither have I. Tried it on the Altitude mission just now.

Blindspot, could you see if it's possible to get some more details on the circumstances at which you noticed this behaviour? Also, your game settions (avionics etcetera).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

So, I tested again today and ... wasn't able to reproduce it either. :doh:

What happend? I could swear that no wind setting or realism setting was the cause when I detected the "problem"! What I am sure I did was to misleadingly assume, that the speed in the HUD would never be ground speed. But ok, that's no fixed wing aircraft, maybe it's because of that.

So, I'm sorry and I thank you for your answers and warm welcome!

Я только понимаю Вокзал.