multi monitor windowed GUI .Lua hack

StickyTeflon

He guys. I'm new here and new to Black Shark. I've been a flight sim fan since Gunship on my Commodore 64 way back in the day!

I've had BS now for about a week and have just gotten around to setting up a two monitor config.

This really helped:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=36551

http://vaaf.net/wiki2/index.php5?title=Black_Shark_MultiMonitors

I'm running window XP in Horizontal Span in 2560x1024

The problem is that when you are in the GUI (main menu,options,editor, and etc.) the monitor split is right down the center and it makes some of the options hard to see and use.

After about 2hrs scanning through the lua files i found a way to force the gui to a window but let DCS:BS start full screen.

Edit these lines in ...ka50\BlackShark\BlackShark.lua

MAKE A BACK UP OF BLACKSHARK.LUA FIRST!!

USE NOTEPAD++ NOT REGULAR NOTE PAD

near lines 225-240

224 --*********************************************************************

225 --Adding "--" before commands will designate it as a remark and it will not be exicuted

226 --main_w = 1024 -- original settings rem'd out but kept for reference

227 --main_h = 768 -- original settings rem'd out but kept for reference

228 main_w = 1270 -- Adjust size to scale window to main monitor

229 main_h = 920 -- Adjust size to scale window to main monitor

230--***********************************************************************

231 defaultReturnScreen = 'mainmenu'

233 -- Ýòî òîæå íàäî îòïðàâèòü â êîíôèã

234 panel_options = require('me_options')

235 panel_options.loadOptions()

235 --******* rem out these three lines****************************************

236 --fullscreen = panel_options.vdata.graphics.fullScreen

237 --main_w = panel_options.vdata.graphics.width

238 --main_h = panel_options.vdata.graphics.height

239 --**********************************************************************

the window is not scale-able so you can see at lines 228-229 i resized the window to a size i liked.

BSLuahackforwindowedGUI.jpg

Now the GUI is in a window and you can drag it to the monitor you chose.

FWI i have Fullscreen checked in the options menu !

My desktop

2MonsetupwithwindowedGUI.jpg

In flight

2Monsetupfullscreeninflight.jpg

Good luck and i hope this turns out to be helpful!

Sean

My other hobby

Helmet camera video of my races and other stuff

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Nice Work StickyTeflon! Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

Still one problem here: Its working for the single player menu but not for the multiplayer menu. Any Idea to get it running in mp-menu?

Thanks in advance!

Eltra

with the phantom monitor fix you had access to multiplayer menu , not sure if it still works since the patch , I'm on 3 monitors now ;

here is the phantom thread

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=633892#post633892

and the triple monitors thread ;

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=39577

[sIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/madmaxx69/LOMAC/Rykesig1.jpg[/sIGPIC]

Savage 77th , http://s77th.com

|Core i7 920|Asus P6T Deluxe V2|GTX 285|9600GT-OC|6G DDR3|Softh on 3x22"CRTs|Tir2|yeahIsaidTir2|X-45|Haf 932|Vista Ultimate 64|

I've tried for a couple of days to find a fix for the multiplayer gui issue. It looks like that gui is controlled/created in a completely different way. All of the multiplayer interface files seem to be in KA-50\FUI\Resourses\Multiplayer and ran as .res files instead of .lua files. The .res files can still be edited with notepad++ but i can't find the resolution or window controls anywhere??

BTW i thought i read somewhere that the phantom monitor went away with the last patch....

Sean

Sean

My other hobby

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've tried for a couple of days to find a fix for the multiplayer gui issue. It looks like that gui is controlled/created in a completely different way. All of the multiplayer interface files seem to be in KA-50\FUI\Resourses\Multiplayer and ran as .res files instead of .lua files. The .res files can still be edited with notepad++ but i can't find the resolution or window controls anywhere??

BTW i thought i read somewhere that the phantom monitor went away with the last patch....

Sean

Ahh no this is really terrible now I have multi monitors I cannot manage to click on the briefing button!! It's not visible!

I want to play online tonight, I will look in that location at the res files and find a solution now.

I'll post back when I've found a way to do it.

:mad:

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

ok it took a fair bit of fiddling, but I've managed to get it working for me.

What I've done is made all the main screens stay in their fixed size so that they don't stretch across the whole multiscreen config.

However they do want to center themselves in the middle of all screens. So I've modified x and y coords.

You will have to modify x and y to suit yourself, the good thing is that after trial and error on one screen, you can set the same coords for most screens the same.

My setup is a 1920x1080 on top, and a 1280x1024 below. If yours is the same, then these files will work without modification!

I'm glad I'm back in multiplayer now :pilotfly:

I hope in the next patch ED set it up so that it calculates the position and stretch of all MP menus and dialogs based on the main screen ONLY, not the full res.

See attached for instructions and res files:

Multimonitor_Fix_For_Multiplayer_Screens.rar

Edited by TAIPAN_
UPDATED attachment, with fixed column widths in server browser and font size.

Still no improvement here with two monitors, one 1920*1200 and one 1600*1200 res under w7 ulti 32 bit with nvidia 195.62 driver in windowed mode.

I managed to get my abris and shkval on the second 1600*1200 monitor. Still around 30 to 60 fps with textures high and scenes medium (Core 2 duo 8600 and GTX260 gpu - 4 gig Ram with 3.2 Gig adressed - swapfile disabled to get rid of the micro stutterings aprox. every 5 seconds). The multiplayer screen ist still spawned over the full 3520 width - I could live with that beeing able to see the briefing button because of a consistent vertical res on both screens. But the major poblem for me is, that in the multiplayer missions the chat window and the score window are both at 3520 pixel horizontal res too what is crucial for me to go back to one monitor.

Let´s wait until our friends at ED adress the issue and enjoy our awesome Sharks in single display mode. :thumbup:

CU on the battlefield

Eltra

Curious how you can get 60fps, I have an i7 with nvidia gts 295 and I get 18fps with my multi monitor in windowed mode!!

Graphics are up high except for water which is normal.. maybe I'll try scenes to medium.

What's your visual distance setting?

I'm also w7 with nvidia 195.62 in windowed mode.

Are your monitors left/right or top/bottom?

Is the main window on the left, top or right?

If it's not the same as me, this fix won't work unless you go in and edit the files to suit your screen.

If you just want to do the chat window alone, I think it is chat-log.res and chat-say.res.

Try adding to the first section \dontinflate{1} and then fiddle with the coordinates and test it until you're happy with the positioning and sizing.

ok... now i've hosed my self.

What files are checked for an integrity check? Apparently i made a change some where that now i get booted / don't pass the integrity check.

Does anyone have a list of all the checked files so i can replace them?

Thanks

Sean

Sean

My other hobby

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Taipan,

ich have set my res in my custom lua file inside \Config\MonitorSetup\ respectively \BlackShark\data\scripts\options.lua to the native res of both monitors -> 3520*1200:

["height"] = 1200,

["resolution"] = "3520x1200",

["civTraffic"] = 0,

["width"] = 3520,

This way, there was nothing to "see" regarding the windowed mode nor any boundaries of the windows, it looked like full screen but it was in a window exactly fitting both screens. I was really suprised about the fact, that I didn´t have a noticeable hit on fps this way. What really seems to influence fps here is ping to the server (must be under 100 ms) respectively the performance of the server itself.

My Settings:

Textures: High

Scenes: Medium

Civ Traffic: No

Water: Normal

Visib Range: Medium

Heat Blur: Off

Shadows: All Planar

GPU:

Anisotropic filtering: 16x

Antialiasing: 8x in supersampling mode

Good luck! :pilotfly:

Eltra

Edited by Eltra

I figured why I was getting such crap frame rates.

With a 1920x1080 on top, and a 1280x1024 below, there was a black hole on the right of the bottom monitor of unused pixels, but it was still using video memory and processing power!!

So I put them left to right in windows, but still top/bottom physically as it's like in the cockpit the windscreen up top and shkval down bottom.

The original way was rendering 4039680 pixels = 17-20FPS

The new way is rendering 3456000, = 35FPS

That's pretty amazing jump in frame rate just due to dropping 14% amount of pixels!!

My theory is that those 14% just pushed the card over the edge of it's memory.

So now I've turned back on high view distance and civ traffic, and still getting 35FPS :thumbup:

If anyone wants res files to get multiplayer screens onto the main monitor in a 1920x1080 main and 1280x1024 screen2, I've attached them here.

Remember it will only work if yours matches my screen sizes, or else you need to edit them.

1920x1080_1200x1024.rar