Campaign: Dogs Of War

PLEASE NOTE

Revision 1 of this Campaign has been released.

See the following thread

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=847612#post847612

Revision 1 can be downloaded from:

http://rapidshare.com/files/360312125/Dog_of_War_Campaign_Rev_1_0.zip

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><>

Dogs of War Campaign

This our entry into the Official ED Campaign Creation Contest. Below is a brief outline of the campaign. A more detailed description with mission briefings is contained in the attached Dogs Of War Campaign Document.PDF file at the end of this message. Also contained in that file is the campaign flow as the missions are not yet linked.

Also, we would like to point out a feature of the Dogs of War Campaign that is not clearly evident.

Several missions in the Dogs of War campaign do contain random elements. These elements ranges from where the initial and reserve units spawn, whether air units show up to support the enemy ground troops, or where the down pilot is located. Missions that have an element of randomness are mission 1 – 7, 10, 12 (partially implemented), and 15. This was done to add some replay value to the campaign and the missions themselves. This feature is not readily apparent unless you replay the campaign or replay the missions listed above. This does not include Mission 14A and 14B which are very similar with the exception that 14B has ships that need to be dealt with.

The campaign can be download at

http://rapidshare.com/files/328692157/Dogs_of_War_Campaign.zip

Alternate locations for download can be found at (Thanks to ECV_Tordo and EtheralIN)

http://www.filefront.com/15267913/Do..._Campaign.zip/

http://bluefire.dnsalias.com/~tats/f...r_Campaign.zip

Please post your questions and comments on the Dos Of War Campaign here.

Enjoy! :pilotfly:

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>><><><><><><><><><>

Development Team

AKA_Clutter

AKA_Ramstein

Topgun505

AKA_Goshawk

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Campaign Type - Multiplayer Coop Campaign

Number of Players - 3 -5 players, some mission "doable" with 2 and easy with 4 or more.

Mission length: 1 - 2 hours.

System Specs System used to perform test. Win Vista Ultimate/Win 7, Intel E8600 Core Duo, EVGA GTX 216 SC, 8 Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM. Test were done with 3 – 6 pilots.

Comments: Some missions have slots for up to 12 players, others only have slots for 8. Also, some missions have a secondary FARP either closer to the “front line” to facilitate re-spawn or rearming, while others have a secondary FARP further back incase primary gets overran. Some missions will require use of PVI-800 to enter NAV points. Most missions require landing and rearming.

Campaign Background

In May 2008 the Indian Air Force issued a requisition proposal to purchase 22 attack helicopters to modernize and supplement their close support attack forces. Shortly thereafter this request was put on hold due to budget cuts. In November of the same year a coordinated Islamic terrorist attack in Mumbai, India’s largest city, killed 173 people and wounded at least 308. The initial speculation was the attacks originated from Pakistan. After less than 3 months of investigation Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik, in a televised news briefing, confirmed that parts of the attack had been planned in Pakistan and said that six people, including the alleged mastermind, were being held in connection with the attacks.

Additional funding was immediately granted by India’s government to purchase additional air assets to improve border security and to seek and destroy militant elements along the border between Pakistan and India.

Throughout 2009 U.S. forces increased their presence in both Afghanistan and Pakistan in an attempt to eliminate extremist forces at the same time India waged a similar war along their border. In Dec 2009 the American government offered military and economic incentives to India in order to improve their military and increase their effectiveness in combating terrorist forces along their border and (unofficially) into Pakistan itself. Part of this incentive package was an exchange of military technologies. India received, among other things, several UAV assets and thermal imaging devices for use for border patrols. In exchange the Indian Air Force loaned several KA-50 helicopters to US forces to expedite getting American trained pilots in the air.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Dogs_Of_War_Campign_Doc.zip

Edited by AKA_Clutter
Post link to noe Revision

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

Good luck with your entry guys!

Do you answer any questions based on your scenario?

Thanks!

As to questions, you bet we do. :thumbup: Or at least to the best of our ability. :)

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

You mentioned at some point :

"...and increase their effectiveness in combating terrorist forces along their border and (unofficially) into Pakistan itself"

If I understood right the scenario is based on fighting terrorist/extremist forces, not the Pakistani Armed Forces, right?

I took a quick look on the pdf you attached (nice maps btw!) and I ve seen in a mission that you have to defend your base against enemy heavy armor assault. I thought "These terrorists are really well armed/trained!". Heavy armor or such weaponry are elements of Tactical Armies!

How are you going to convince the player that he is against terrorists that they happen to possess heavy armor? Wouldn't it be a more realistic scenario to be against a typical national army rather than a terrorist group?

You mentioned at some point :

How are you going to convince the player that he is against terrorists that they happen to possess heavy armor? Wouldn't it be a more realistic scenario to be against a typical national army rather than a terrorist group?

isoul,

Thanks for the questions with respect to the scenario basis. Yes it would be more realistic to have the scenario to have the US facing another national army, but we wanted to stay away from pitting the US against Russia, or vice versa.

In setting this up, we wanted to fly the KA-50 on the US side and against difficult threats (heavy Armor) and such. We also did NOT wanted to pit the US against Russia. The background developed does offer a plausible story of why the US is flying KA-50's. :smilewink:

It doesn't offer much with respect to why the terrorist forces have such good equipment. :(

When we first stated developing the campaign, one thought was that a rouge faction (Battalion level including small air and naval assets?) had split away form the government and started taking action. This is a thought , but as I'm not the best at weaving a good story, I'll get with the rest of the team and see what they think, and what we can develop for the next version.

Again, thanks for the input.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Makes sense to me!!

Present day situation in Pakistan and Afghanistan has demonstrated that after the initial suppression on Taliban forces in the early to mid 2000 decade, Taliban forces melted back into the mountainous region of Pakistan and began efforts to regain their strength.

This campaign Scenario, as I understand it, is to counter the growing Taliban problems in the Pakistan area. Coupled by a clandestine surge in the jihadist movements around the world, Taliban forces have swollen with radical Muslim mercenaries. These include former Russian pilots trained within the Soviet block, now hungry for cash from any source. Taliban forces successfully overran a small Russian outpost in Uzbeckistan, and commandiered an undisclosed amount of military equipment which included tanks and helicopters.

In this scenario, the India forces are lending the KA-50 helos to the US forces in order to get KA-50 qualified pilots into action ahead of the game (without having to wait for equipment and trained support forces to arrive in the arena from stateside).

Thanks for taking time to answer.

Since you are mentioning the unwillingness to pit two nuclear powers against each other and since you admit there is no explanation of how terrorists got their hands on such weaponry here are a few idea how to overcome such difficulties.

1) Pitting two modern powers one against the other(like US vs Russia):

Think of it as repetitive, restraining to the theater of war or whatever you like but it isn't a good idea. SOLUTION : Pit two different nations. Unfortunately world today offers many possible conflicts in a wide range of theaters of war. Smaller nations have their own friends and foes, likes and dislikes. You are using India and Pakistan very well on that. Korea is another example. Balkans region has quite many fictional or old adversaries(Yugoslavia-Croatia, Yugoslavia-Albania, Greece-Turkey). Middle-East I don't need to say anything else on that.

2) Having a good excuse for weaponry of different origins : Besides that, using minor nations as your adversaries can solve that problem too. Some minor nations have a tradition of multiple suppliers of military equipment that would excuse the mix of weaponry of different origins. In Greece(where I come from), for example, we are using Apaches&F16(US), Leopard II tanks(German), Mirage2000(French), TorM1 and BMPs(Russian). Same goes for Cyprus with more Soviet weapons. Turkey also has a mixture of weaponry in lesser extend(Turkey was even thinking of buying Ka-52 from Russia). Another good way to excuse hi-tec weaponry in the hands of extremists is the scenario of a rebellion or dictatorship where all or just a part of a nations weapons fall in the wrong hands.

3) Factions : To use terrorists-extremists in your story is just to excuse the presence of an enemy in/near your country were another Tactical Force couldn't reach that easily. Venezuela for example, hard to reach! Parts of China, hard to reach! Philippines, hard to reach! Egypt or Libya!

I hope to give you some good ideas for your next effort! Keep up!

Present day situation in Pakistan and Afghanistan has demonstrated that after the initial suppression on Taliban forces in the early to mid 2000 decade, Taliban forces melted back into the mountainous region of Pakistan and began efforts to regain their strength.

This campaign Scenario, as I understand it, is to counter the growing Taliban problems in the Pakistan area. Coupled by a clandestine surge in the jihadist movements around the world, Taliban forces have swollen with radical Muslim mercenaries. These include former Russian pilots trained within the Soviet block, now hungry for cash from any source. Taliban forces successfully overran a small Russian outpost in Uzbeckistan, and commandiered an undisclosed amount of military equipment which included tanks and helicopters.

In this scenario, the India forces are lending the KA-50 helos to the US forces in order to get KA-50 qualified pilots into action ahead of the game (without having to wait for equipment and trained support forces to arrive in the arena from stateside).

Thats a nice fictional excuse!

All,

Thought I would point out a feature of the Dogs of War Campaign that is not clearly evident.

As Topgun505 has noted in a separated thread, several missions in the Dogs of War campaign do contain random elements. These elements ranges from where the initial and reserve units spawn, whether air units show up to support the enemy ground troops, or where the down pilot is located. Missions that have an element of randomness are mission 1 – 7, 10, 12 (partially implemented), and 15. This was done to add some replay value to the campaign and the missions themselves. This feature is not readily apparent unless you only replay the campaign or replay the missions listed above. This does not include Mission 14A and 14B which are very similar with the exception that 14B has ships that need to be dealt with.

We hope that this adds some to your enjoyment of the campaign and Black Shark.

:joystick: :) :pilotfly:

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Briefing of the first mission says: "It is suspected that there are infantry near these artillery positions, some may have A2A capability"

Dont understand that.

A2A = Air to Air?

Infantry has air to air capabilities?

Briefing of the first mission says: "It is suspected that there are infantry near these artillery positions, some may have A2A capability"

Dont understand that.

A2A = Air to Air?

Infantry has air to air capabilities?

Uh, would you believe that the instructions say that just before firing the weapon, the infantry must jump 2 feet in the air and then fire? :)

Sorry about that, my error. :doh:

I'll note that and revise to say shoulder-mounted SAM, or anti-air capability. Thanks for catching that and pointing it out. :thumbup:

:pilotfly:

----------------

AKA_Clutter

There will be plenty of updates to come, in the coming weeks...

This Campaign just has too much goodness to not make it even better..

:thumbup:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR