Graphics lockup

Kula66

FC2: This has happened a few times now and in almost every mission... flying along and the screen freezes. You can carry on flying (but the screen doesn't update) or even hit <Esc> and Q to quit and it will return the the menus. Played LO:FC1 with not issues. Everything up to date. I've tried switching on/off various Nvidia settings and still happening.

Happened on the very first mission I 'fly' before I edited any config/lua files, ie. on a clean install. No mods etc installed.

HW: HP 8710w laptop with an Nvidia Quadro 3600 video, WinXP.

Thanks,

James

Edited by Kula66

• 2 weeks later...

Same here with ATI card. Make sure to disable Catalyst AI for the ATI card since that has been problem with both BS and FC. But now the graphics lock ups has reappeard especially on one mission in BS. I noticed when I had Catalyst AI enabled the game slows down when I press CTRL-Scroll lock and have the full info displayed. Runs normal when only FPS or off, but for some reason this has started to happen again even though I have Catalyst AI disabled?

I know I forgot to attach my crash files. I now found out that it's the graphic card that crashes. Same problem I had with FC2 but that was because Catalyst AI was enabled. Still I got the crashes now in BS. Have now disabled Adadaptive AA aswell in my ATI 4850 control panel and that seems to do the trick so far.

bs_crash.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Game has started to crash again. Have attached the crash file. Been running fine for a while, but now the same crash symptoms has returned. First it was because Adaptive AI was enabled, which is a known problem. Then I disabled Adaptive AA which seemed to cure the problem, but not anymore.

same here, but am stuck not able to try newer ATI drivers, because they are broken for my other flight sim IL-2. So, when I flying along with others, minding my own business boom,, computer reboots, and only happens in Black Shark... still waiting for ATI to relase the fixed version of drivers.. until then I have to continue with Catalyst 9.1. I hope new drivers fix the problem.. but like I said since I can't because I also fly IL-2 and cannot use a new Catalyst version until they fix the block text problem..

As soon as they release a fixed set, I will install and report back my findings.. they said they are working on them... not sure if they are in the next release, or the one after next..

:joystick:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

The funny thing is that it was running fine for a while with Adaptive AA, then one specific mission started to crash all the time in the campaign. Disabled Adaptive AA and running fine for quite some time, but now it started to crash in one specific mission again. Last crash I had to reboot myself, and now I had to redo the previous mission, and that went fine. I've now chosen a lower resolution and gonna see what happens. Very annoying that the crashes occur in mission where it's a long way to fly to the target :)

Cheers

Sorry guys, I have no suggestions for your crashes right now except all the standard trubleshooting you can find in the troubleshooting thread.

And you guys are trying to work your way around it - I can understand your frustration.

According to Wags and Ulrich in the soundthread - the patch should'nt be too far away (one two three weeks?). It should make DCS a bit more similar in behaviour to FC2, less crashes of that kind I hope.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

No worries. Been playing alot latley, so need a break anyways :)

Finally gotten around to update my BIOS (nerve wrecking process), and made sure all other drivers are up to date, but still no luck. Funny that the problem only occured on 2 specific mission. Makes you wonder?

Off to watch snooker.

EDIT: I'm starting to wonder if there really is a problem with specific mission. Right now I get lock ups all the time in the "Return to Teberda" mission. Did a couple of other missions and they went fine. There was 2 other mission in the "Deployment" campaign that always locked up. Can't remeber their names, but the first I had problems with was the one where you need to take out 3 bunkers in support for ground troops, and the second was a few missions just after that with a long flight where you had to cross a high mountain ridge.

Edited by LeadBird

Try, maybe helps :)

Hi all, this is my first post :)

I have ATI 5770 and 10.3 catalyst drivers. Also, I have problems with drivers and BShark. Same ones as thread starter. Graphic freeze while game still run in background. Sometimes there was black screen, sometimes just still screen. Missions were DUSK, CODA and Georgia Oil War (campaign).

So, I started to play with settings of catalyst.

These are ones with which I've completed those missions:

Antialiasing: 4x (tried with 2x but losed V-Sync and Schval text and brackets become black boxes - ocasionally, 8x for freezes)

Antialiasing mode: Multi-sample AA (tried Adaptive AA for missing textures)

Anisotropic Filtering: 8x (tried 16x but greater chances for freeze)

Catalyst AI: disable

MipMap: Quality

For working V-Sync I'm also running BShark in windowed mode and forcing v-sync through d3doverider.

When screen freeze, if I look at error.log it will have entries related to sound (out of memory).

Try to play with settings of catalyst drivers although problem seems to be with sound engine. In my case, it worked.

S! :smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Game has started to crash again. Have attached the crash file. Been running fine for a while, but now the same crash symptoms has returned. First it was because Adaptive AI was enabled, which is a known problem. Then I disabled Adaptive AA which seemed to cure the problem, but not anymore.

\edObjects.dll ?GetObjects@viObjectManager@@QAEHPAVClipVolume@@PAPAVviObject@@HK@Z()+3C

Hm, looks like it may be (sound) codec issues.

Do you have any custom video / sound applications - or codec packs installed?

I would really look hard & long after any such applications / suites.

Also contributing factors to codec / sound issues:

- Sound drivers

- Mainboard drivers / chipset drivers

- Other system components, O/C, busspeeds, timing, etc etc.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I had a feeling that it was sound aswell all along, but assumed graphics cards, since I get error message that graphics cards no longer responds and screen changes to VGA 640x480.

I have a lot of codec & sound applications installed :) I'll try and uninstall them. Thanks for tip.

EDIT: No overclocking here, and like to keep all my drivers up to date.

Come to think of it I updated my sound drivers a few days ago, so maybe problem started after that. Uninstalled some codecs I've had aswell and reinstalled sound drivers, so I'll give it a go later.

Had so much trouble installing the soundcards drivers again, that I got so mad and ordered WIN 7. After that I off course figured it out :) Anyways a normal uninstall off FC2 and BS will give me a deactivation code or do I have to go through Starforce?

Thanks again.

Edited by LeadBird

Find "protect.exe" in the bin folder inside each simulator, run that and select "deactivate" (and be online at the time). After swapping to the new operating system, just install and activate as per normal. But note that you have to deactivate before uninstalling, since uninstalling would remove the protect.exe file and registry entries.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

• 3 months later...

screen freezes, but game continues

I've been having this screen lockup problem as well. I will be playing the game, and doing nothing spectacular, the screen will freeze. I can still hear things happening, change views and hear the different jets, ships or whatever, but the screen does not change. It doesn't matter what I do. It will happen just flying along.

I tried lowering my settings both in-game and on my Nvidia card as much as possible. I'm not getting a CTD, when the screen locks up, i can hit "esc" and exit the simulator back to the menu. I had this problem since my first purchase and hoped the patch would fix it, but no luck there.

I can't find anything in the troubleshooting area to try. Any help please?

Oh and it doesn't matter if I had mods installed or not. I have this problem regardless. Funny however, that I have this more often when I'm NOT using my TrackIR. I was flying quite a bit with my trackIR and rarely got this problem. (That was only once so far)

In single player game, with nvidia cards, the best way to avoid/reduce this from happening is to disable anti-aliasing for simulator.exe (make sure it's not just doing it for launcher.exe).

It won't stop all of the instances, but it will help with the most common ones. Chance of this occurring increases significantly in the night missions.

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]