Last tank nothing but guns....

First I would like to thank ED for the level of realism that got me killed in my A-10.... After a great missile run on a column of tanks, one die hard T-80 was left. To my joy I had not used any GAU-8 ammo yet so I went in low and slow yelling "GETSOME....MUHAAHAA>>>> GETSOME!!!!" Rounds were flying everywhere infact about 800 or so then I quickly realized that my airspeed was to low and droping fast and I was falling out of the sky! But before I could recover I sucked a building. Ah physics, every action there is always opposed an equal reaction: or, the mutual actions of two bodies upon each other are always equal, and directed to contrary parts. (Principia Mathematica) - Sir Isaac Newton. Due to the 800 rounds fired from the GAU8 I lost about 90-+MPH in speed or so from the cannon recoil...Thank you ED. Havoc out.

Edited by HAVOC131

LOL :megalol:

I had my problem too in beginning with target fascination! :smartass:

Just practice and use shorter burst's and try to get them from behind, use much less rounds!

...and if you need more challenge, to the same with SU25T :joystick:

McDan out

|AMD 7800x3D | 64GB DDR5-3600| GTX 4090 | Virpil Stick, Collectiv, WW MIP, WW Throttle, MFG Crosswind V2 | Windows 11 64-bit | SSD Samsung | 4K LG Oled 48 | Oculus Q3 | Simlab based Cockpit

Just to be sure:

Source

The myth

A persistent claim is that the recoil force of the Avenger matches that of the A-10's engines and as such the plane would slow down, stall and subsequently crash if the gun was to be fired for long periods of time. Some even add the fanciful notion of the plane beginning to fly backwards. These claims hold little truth.

The recoil force can be calculated by multiplying the muzzle velocity with the weight of the projectiles over one second (force = impulse per time). This gives an approximate recoil force of 30kN. On the GAU-8/A product homepage the recoil force is stated as 10 000 Pounds, or about 45 kN. The maximum combined output of the A-10 engines is 80 kN. Hence the recoil force of the gun is only about half of the total thrust of the engines. As such the loss of forward speed for an A-10 when firing the gun is negligible. At most the recoil may slow down the A-10 a few 10s of kts, and certainly the A-10 will not stop or go backward in the air. The A-10 will have no trouble emptying the magazine in one shooting and still keep on flying.

Some claims have been made that the A-10 engines are susceptible to flame-out when subjected to gun powder gases, i.e. when firing, the smoke from the gun would make the engines stop. This is certainly something that can make a plane crash. If the claims are true they could be a clue to the origin of the myth.

It may also be noted that impressively powerful weapons have always been surrounded by myths and exaggerations regarding their capabilities. The claimed recoil force of the GAU-8 is certainly one of those myths and can perhaps be seen as an urban legend.

• Like 1

"A few 10s of kts" is quite enough to cause problems if you're only flying at 120kts

But it won't be any problems because you already know that and you are wise enough not to shoot the cannon at that speed :smilewink: