Is the frame counter deceiving me ?

Protos

I have a pretty good rig, yet I am getting same frames I got 3 years ago ???

I play at 1920x1200 all high, which admittedly is taxing, but my rig destroys other games. A10 brings my rig to its knees. And missile hit in F15 goes to 30s.

cpu: Amd 965 @ 4ghz

ram: 8 gigs 1066

vid: nvidia Gtx 480

xifi champion ect ect ...

I know that this game was cpu limited/single core but have there been no optimizations in 3 years ???

Ο ΤΟΛΜΩΝ ΝΙΚΑ

http://www.hellenicsqn.com

(under construction)

Assuming your talking FC2.0

Yes plenty of optimizations have been made, thought its still very much CPU heavy and it's probably not going to change any time soon.

On a side note, my average fps is ~25 and perfectly playable.

So i would say disable the FPS counter and enjoy the sim for all that its worth.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Just to make sure, you're playing FC2 with the latest patch? FC2 and DCS are both multi-threaded now, with the sound engine getting its own thread, so there has been progress in 3 years. Furthermore, those games take even more advantage of multicore processors if run in a Vista or W7 environment. I'm assuming that you're not still running XP on that machine, right? :)

Yes FC2 latest patch.

Perhaps I will uninstall all mods and see whats up. A10 in particular was really bad with around 28fps on the deck.

Maybe just got a bad install. Will redo once I find out how to activate/deactivate.

Not fair to draw conclusions without it being stock. Just figured that a 4ghz quadcore and the newest vcard would be shredding this old title.

Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate

Amd 965 @ 4ghz water cooled

8 gb 1066 ram

Nvidia Gtx 480

Creative Xifi Fatality Champion with front bay

Logitech G940

Track Ir 5

21,500 Vantage score.

Newest drivers ect ect ....

Oh and for the record 25 fps on a track ir 5 is a bit of a slideshow.

Edited by Protos

Ο ΤΟΛΜΩΝ ΝΙΚΑ

(under construction)

FC2 an "old" title? Compared to FC1 it has a new gen TFCSE, updated graphics engine, brand new sound engine etc...

One thing you might want to investigate is to disable as many of the extra features in Ultimate as you can find that you don't use - which, to be honest, is most likely pretty much all of the extra features that Ultimate has compared to HP. Extra features = extra processes = less processor headroom for CPU-hungry applications. Four-core architecture should balance that and hopefully place those processes on cores that are not used by FC2, but it's worth a look.

Also, as long as you have an 8800/9800 or better, you can pretty much ignore your graphics card in this case. My 9800GTX+ can do 16x AA and 16x AF in FC2 with zero FPS loss, and if even that card has free processing power to do that anything newer will just give you even more unused GPU cycles. (Exception being SSAA - if you use that it just might murder your GPU.)

What you might want to do is make a track and re-play it while using FRAPS or something similar to track and log your FPS. You can then graph it and see if you can correlate low FPS to any specific event in the simulator - like something that might cause HDD reads or stuff like that. Also affords you the possibility to compare with other people's hardware to help you figure out if your performance is as should be expected compared to other computers or whether you might want to spend some time investigating your system.

"Oh and for the record 25 fps on a track ir 5 is a bit of a slideshow."

What do you mean by this? As far as I recall the trackir unit runs at it's 100FPS irrespective of simulation rate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Yes FC2 latest patch.

Perhaps I will uninstall all mods and see whats up. A10 in particular was really bad with around 28fps on the deck.

Maybe just got a bad install. Will redo once I find out how to activate/deactivate.

No need to activate and deactivate. You can re-install at will, until you change Hardware or OS.

Even though you have a fast computer there are still things in Lock on that will Kill FPS, regardless of computer power. For a quick example - turn off Mirrors, they are useless and eat FPS.

Unfortunately you will have to tweak settings/config to get the performance you want.

Nate

You can find mirrors as a checkbox in the options screen.

To turn water to low, download Notepad++ (google) and edit

C:\Games\LoMac\LOFC2\BlackShark\data\scripts\options.lua

(Obviously, adjust path to your own install path)

Note that you do not want to use regular windows Notepad for this. It's one of those things that might work but may also break the file.

In the file you'll find this section at line 49:

["graphics"] = 
   {
       ["multiMonitorSetup"] = "1camera",
       ["color"] = "32",
       ["heatBlr"] = 1,
       ["scenes"] = "high",
       [b][u]["water"] = 1,[/u][/b]
       ["fullScreen"] = true,
       ["visibRange"] = "High",
       ["aspect"] = 1.6,
       ["textures"] = 2,
       ["shadows"] = 2,
       ["effects"] = 3,
       ["width"] = 1680,
       ["lights"] = 2,
       ["height"] = 1050,
       ["civTraffic"] = 1,
       ["resolution"] = "1680x1050",
       ["haze"] = 1,
   }, -- end of ["graphics"]

I've underscored the water value. 1 is for "low", 2 is for medium. After making this edit, the water field in the GUI options screen will be blank.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Thank you EtherealN sir !

Pretty happy with 50-60s avg in A10 pit now, 60-80s avg in F15 and that is with all 45 of my high res mods intact. Everything max except mirrors and water which I left at normal.

Getting more and more impressed as I get set up.

P.S.

Wags, water under everything still blows. Massive frame killer. Please rectify in new engine.

S~!

Ο ΤΟΛΜΩΝ ΝΙΚΑ

(under construction)

The alternative to water-under-everything is to re-do a lot of the terrain and increase the polygon count of terrain a lot as well since all coastlines and bigger rivers would have to get their water added as separate geometry. This leads to some issues for the 32-bit application since it is already running at the limits of a 32-bit adress space.

I would guess that this could be possible to adress (pun not intended, I promise) when the 64-bit build is completed, but there are issues even there since there are still a surprising amount of people that run 32-bit operating systems and they would get locked out if there are fundamental changes made that specifically require 64-bits. So unfortunately it's a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't. :(

That said, a scratch-built terrain engine might be able to fix it without running into those problems, though that takes a lot of time to implement. But rest assured that ED is aware of this issue and wants to fix it.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester