Ka-50's ABRIS datalink

Boberro

While it is possible to change and actually store ABRIS Nav routes to your Hard Drive, I can't see in the manual where you can send the entire Nav Route via datalink (although that would be cool!). Section 7 is very detailed regarding the ABRIS, and there's tons of cool stuff that you can do with it.

The best that I can suggest is to use the Ingress Points to share with your wingman via Data Link. You would have to keep adjusting your points once you reach the designated area, but it's a useful tool when you're spread apart from your wingmen and you want them to either find you, or go a different route due to SAM activity, etc. The procedure is in section 11 of the manual.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

You know I fly in campaign with my wingman (human) and I am the Commander of flight. All routes are programmed into my Commander's Kamov and I'd like to share it with another people.

That ingress point is quite interesting and I'll use it in some missions where situations allow it :)

I had hoped sharing your route via Kamovs would be available, I regret it isn't so, i better program their route too :)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Nothing you can datalink is actually stored in the ABRIS and nothing in the ABRIS can be sent via datalink. The ABRIS is just an off the shelf commercial device bolted into the dash well after the design left Kamov's collective drafting desk.

You can only save ABRIS routes to HDD when in the special mission editor (not the planner) mode designed for that purpose. It's just there for mission editors to pre-populate the ABRIS memory with flight details when making a mission. Sim pilots don't have access to it.

To share a waypoint route with it's best to do it in flight planning before taking off. Otherwise I guess you could:

1. Look up the Lat/Long position of each point in the ABRIS display

2. Enter them as NAVTGT points into the PVI-800.

3. Send these points as DL points over the VHF datalink.*

*I'm pretty sure there's a way to save DL points onto PNK memory as NAVTGT or even WPT type once received.

4. Have the receiving pilot define a route from the ABRIS display of datalink points.

Or you could just read out the Lat/Long points over the radio as the wingman is in route creation mode. Since the ABRIS AMMS doesn't have a datacard or similar that's what you'd do in real life except it'd be before flight and the wingman would enter the data from a paper card into the unit and save it to database.

• Like 1

Thanks for explanation it deeper. I am going to use solutions you all have written. S!

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Nothing you can datalink is actually stored in the ABRIS and nothing in the ABRIS can be sent via datalink. The ABRIS is just an off the shelf commercial device bolted into the dash well after the design left Kamov's collective drafting desk.

You can only save ABRIS routes to HDD when in the special mission editor (not the planner) mode designed for that purpose. It's just there for mission editors to pre-populate the ABRIS memory with flight details when making a mission. Sim pilots don't have access to it.

Hi Frederf.

Can you expand on your first point saying that the Data Link system doesn't store anything to the ABRIS Memory? Storing target and ingress data to your ABRIS does in fact happen from my understanding of the system and what the manual describes. Once you designate a target or ingress point, it gets stored into your ABRIS until you delete it or crash and respawn...Then you can hand off that information from your ABRIS to your fellow wingmen via the Data Link system, assuming they are on the same VHF Freq. See the AFM Section 11-6

And for the second point, according to the AFM Section 7-38 "Saving Route Plans to ABRIS Database and 7-39 entitled "Saving Map Points and Map Lines to ABRIS Database", it explains in detail how to save the information to your PC's Hard Drive through your ABRIS while in "the pit".

I also concur that you can use the PVI-800 and send Nav data as a Target Point via the Data Link system as per the AFM, Section 11-8

I'm not trying to show you up or anything (I'm really a reference freak as part of my job in real life), but I'm just trying to interpret what your explaining for my own S.A.

Thanks and S!

Edited by Toadster
Adding some Text and my usual Grammar corrections...

Nah, PVI-800 points or DL points are not stored in the ABRIS just merely presented through it. The DL memory is a unit (TzVM-Tz computer with the PVTz-800 panel control) outside the ABRIS entirely. DL functions just as well the ABRIS completely off. Also turning the ABRIS off and on doesn't wipe the DL point memory, but turning off and on the DL equipment power certainly does.

If I remember correctly: There are "ghost blue locations" stored temporarily on the ABRIS that are generated by computer cue from the TzVM-Tz (or -B computer for NAVTGT) and their respective links to the ABRIS which are merely visual mirrors of the actual point stored in DL memory. So turning off and on the ABRIS means the DL points are still there in DL memory but all of the "ghost blue locations" have been forgotten since they were held in ABRIS RAM.

I would have to look up if it's possible to transfer DL points (say as a wingman) into the PNK (PVI-800) in some automated way. I think there's a way to populate say NAVTGT points given a DL point but I'm not sure.

ABRIS database only, only works in the "prepare mission" mode of the mission editor. The database feature is a .miz file write and the mission file is read only during normal flight operations.

Nah, PVI-800 points or DL points are not stored in the ABRIS just merely presented through it. The DL memory is a unit (TzVM-Tz computer with the PVTz-800 panel control) outside the ABRIS entirely. DL functions just as well the ABRIS completely off. Also turning the ABRIS off and on doesn't wipe the DL point memory, but turning off and on the DL equipment power certainly does.

If I remember correctly: There are "ghost blue locations" stored temporarily on the ABRIS that are generated by computer cue from the TzVM-Tz (or -B computer for NAVTGT) and their respective links to the ABRIS which are merely visual mirrors of the actual point stored in DL memory. So turning off and on the ABRIS means the DL points are still there in DL memory but all of the "ghost blue locations" have been forgotten since they were held in ABRIS RAM.

I would have to look up if it's possible to transfer DL points (say as a wingman) into the PNK (PVI-800) in some automated way. I think there's a way to populate say NAVTGT points given a DL point but I'm not sure.

ABRIS database only, only works in the "prepare mission" mode of the mission editor. The database feature is a .miz file write and the mission file is read only during normal flight operations.

Cool... Thanks!

• 1 month later...