gtx295 vs 4xx series

Is there any advantage to upgrading from a single gtx295 to one of the 4xx series nvidia cards (460,470,480) for use in dcs? I know the sims are mostly processor dependant, but didn't know if this would help to get better FPS. I am running an I7-965ee at 4ghz, 6 gigs of corsair. Thanks

The GTX 295 is a dual GPU-card.

These cards are not optimal for several games and AFAIK that's also true for LockOn/DCS for most configurations.

The GTX 4xx cards are faster, have DX11 support, but with a single GPU.

If you can afford to wait, I'd do so and check out the upcoming 6xxx generation cards from AMD. Even if you're an nVidia guy, the prices will most likely drop after AMD's cards arrive on the market.

If you go for a GTX 480 I recommend using a dual- or tripple-fan cooler solution. The cards produce a lot of heat.

Edit: If you really want to go for a dual-GPU solution: There are rumors about a GTX 495 being released after AMD's cards have hit the market.

I can't imagine how nVidia is going to keep the GTX 495 cool, though...

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

These cards are not optimal for several games and AFAIK that's also true for LockOn/DCS for most configurations.

If you can afford to wait, I'd do so and check out the upcoming 6xxx generation cards from AMD. Even if you're an nVidia guy, the prices will most likely drop after AMD's cards arrive on the market.

If you go for a GTX 480 I recommend using a dual- or tripple-fan cooler solution. The cards produce a lot of heat.

Edit: If you really want to go for a dual-GPU solution: There are rumors about a GTX 495 being released after AMD's cards have hit the market.

They most likely will use a more effecient Fermi chip than the Fermi 100, as it was seen with GTX 460 compared 470 and 480

Me neither! Heck that 295 runs hot enough, I can imagine what the 495 temps will be. I have seen my 295 hit low 90c a few times, but I heard red line is 110c on those cards. I think I will probalby go for one of the 4xx series soon, I just really haven't been that happy with the 295 dual gpu, seems it should have more power than it does. I am probably in the 30s/40s fps with black shark in the pit, over 100 fps outside. I was expecting probably 50-60 in the pit with that card coupled with an OC'd I7 at 4ghz......just seems like I have a bottleneck with that card....