Padlock and TrackIR

coolts

I’m potentially being a bit dim here but I can’t get the padlock views to work. In Falcon, i used them a lot when assigning targets to wingman and for lining up attacks without using labels.

I was trying out the “defend camp yankee” mission, as I did it with labels the first time. Now I have got the stabilisers off my bike so to speak, I managed to take out the mortars as I got a visual on the smoke from their guns. But that was it. I was 'driving miss daisy' for ten minutes after that until someone took pity on me and shot me down.

Now, bollocks to that.

I looked up the key commands for padlock views; Lock terrain View (num + RCtrl), Cycle padlock, (num.), and unlock view (numlock). I’ve tested the key combos in the options menu and I have “padlock” on in the settings.

They do bugger all in game. Nothing. Then it hit me. I’m using TrackIR. In falcon that meant that the, ”padlocked” objects get a box round them. Is there any such function in DCS or am I missing something?

Can someone explain the practical use pf padock in the DCS world?

Here’s what the BlackShark Gui manual says;

PADLOCK. When enabled, you press the padlock enable key to keep your eyes on the vehicle or ground point in the center of your view.”

**EDIT** Oh look, at the bottom of the screen. "padock" - similar threads. grumble. found nothing when i did a search. grumble. website hates me. grumble. ;)

**EDIT 2** Nothing new there.

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Possibly this will be fixed in the next patch mate :) or they could be going for the hardcore all out "you will suffer" type of gameplay. But this doesn;t work for me either.

Good to see another geordie on the forums anyhoo :P

"Eject eject eject! Say goodbye, a**hole."

"Eject eject eject! Goodbye, a**hole!" :megalol:

i7 980x, Corsair H70, Asus Rampage 3 Extreme, 6Gb Corsair Dominator GT, 2x 6990 Crossfire, OCZ Vertex II 60Gb, 2x WD Caviar Black 1Tb, X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI, G19, Roccat Kone+, HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5 + Trackclip Pro

Use the pod :)

You're experiencing fairly realistic effects there.

agreed, Litening is a great way of keeping track of ground target location regardless of which payload you intend to drop

Edited by RaoulDuke1980
speeling mistakes

"Eject eject eject! Say goodbye, a**hole."

"Eject eject eject! Goodbye, a**hole!" :megalol:

i7 980x, Corsair H70, Asus Rampage 3 Extreme, 6Gb Corsair Dominator GT, 2x 6990 Crossfire, OCZ Vertex II 60Gb, 2x WD Caviar Black 1Tb, X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI, G19, Roccat Kone+, HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5 + Trackclip Pro

I just flew that mission.

Coolts, you have a JTAC down there who'll give you some pretty accurate data. Get the 9-line from him, complete the dialogue, and you'll receive a nice little enemy position on the TAD. Hook it, set SPI and slave your pod to it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

... nice, way to OT :P *smacks Mower* :P

Move the mav (so it comes off of any SPI or whatever it was previously slaved to), then hit china aft or forward short to boresight it - I forget which.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

dude it is so hard to locate targets in that mission. the JTAC doesnt even work. He just gives you a very rough estimate of where they are.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

Cheers CG. I am tying to slightly wean myself from the TGP as I need to increase my "outside time" a little. Too much heads down in the cockpit is a little worrying in terms of my SA. I used to do that with ths SHKVAL and had some very intimate liasons with terra firma ;)

I remember there being a JTAC, but can he update with new enemy locations as they are triggered or are JTAC a one shot scripted affair? I guess its early WIP.

Good to know the Padlock is WIP as well, i thought i was losing my marbles.

<Mower> You have won todays most random statement in a thread award! Do you like them peeled, boiled, mashed or roasted?

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Cheers CG. I am tying to slightly wean myself from the TGP as I need to increase my "outside time" a little. Too much heads down in the cockpit is a little worrying in terms of my SA. I used to do that with ths SHKVAL and had some very intimate liasons with terra firma ;)

It's no different than using padlock in that respect. The TGP display gives you an SA cue for your flying anyway, so come in at 20000, get the position from JTAC, steer the pod there and you're pretty much done with minimal heads-down time.

I remember there being a JTAC, but can he update with new enemy locations as they are triggered or are JTAC a one shot scripted affair? I guess its early WIP.

Good to know the Padlock is WIP as well, i thought i was losing my marbles.

<Mower> You have won todays most random statement in a thread award! Do you like them peeled, boiled, mashed or roasted?

Yep, it might not be perfect in the open beta yet, but it's still there. Plus you have additional assets there - another A-10 at least.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hmmm. Ive just tried it again and i can't contact the JTAC with the comms menu. All i get is what sounds like Wags doing triggered warnings about 'hostile mortars, etc'.

Im not to fussed ATM as its a beta after all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The TGP display gives you an SA cue for your flying anyway, so come in at 20000, get the position from JTAC, steer the pod there and you're pretty much done with minimal heads-down time.

Yeah, the TGP SA cue (small dot) is really handy. Whilst in a turn I tend to dib my head down (TrackIR) to take a quick gimps of it to get SA.

Definitely not the cue I was talking about.

Which one? Do you mean the 'cardinal arrow' (can't remember the technical name). I find the TGP one really useful though. Ok, it only shows the relation of the TGP pod to the a/c, but you can still use it to position yourself.

Edited by CrashEd

Nope, the pitch and bank steering indicator.

Ok, yes you are correct! Using this will definitely stop you hitting the deck :) Totally agree. I was thinking along the lines of SA, as in directing yourself to the target, as a padlock cue would. Sorry to confuse the issue GG :thumbup: