New graphic card

Hello all,

I want to hear your opinions concerning a new graphic card to play the Warthog without any problems. In my signature you can see my hardware and I have installed two screens - one to play (27") and one to read (17") a pdf at the same time.

What is the better graphic card for my system? GTX 570 or GTX 590?

Or is the ATI HD 6990 the better solution?

The background for this qestion is my other thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=71568

Maverick

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 | i7-2600K 4x3,4GHz | 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 | Club 3D HD 6970 | Saitek X52 | Win 7 Prof 64-bit

Game settings:

Texture - H, Scenes - H, Civ Traffic - L, Water - H, Visib Range - H, Heat Blur - ON, Shadows - H, Res - 1920x1080, Aspect - 16:9, Monitor - 1, Cp Dsply - 1024 every frame, MSAA 16x, HDR - normal, Clutter/Bushes 185m, Tress Visibility 6000m, Shadow Tree - on, Vsync - On, Full Screen - On, Cockpit Shadows - On, TSSAA - On

6990 as its a faster card in most games.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Note: the 6990 is Crossfire, 590 is SLI. They're both dual-GPU cards using SLI internally. Think of them as two cards occupying the same PCIe slot. This means tighter margins on cooling, potentially forcing faster speeds on the fans, and thus a louder machine.

Also, note that this also means that if the card says "3GB vRAM", you actually have only 1.5 directly available: it's a SLI/Crossfire, so RAM load is mirrored across the two "halves" of the card.

Speaking from my own experience, even a 560 will allow you to max out the graphics here (pretty much, I have mirrors 1024, not 1024-every-frame). That is with a single monitor actually running the simulator, though, not multi-screen, but your description sounds pretty similar to how I do it. However: is your 27 incher a 2560x resolution panel? If so, I'd recommend a 580. Should sort you out fine. The 590 is underclocked due to the aforementioned size/heat constraints, making it only roughly similar to a 570 in applications not SLI-optimized. (To be honest, much as it pains me as a GreenTeam fanboy: the 590 has serious design issues...)

On the other hand, if you have room for it in the case (and do double-check that: those cards are huge) you could just as easily go 2x 6970 instead of the 6990. It's the same thing - the 6990 is two 6970's but on the same PCB - but with dual-card setup you have a bigger power margin (the 6990 drinks right at the limit of what can be fed by dual 8-pin PCIe!) as well as a bigger heat dissipation area, which should allow the fans to run slower and thus quieter. That said: I'm pretty sure you would do more than fine even with just a single 6970.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

sry ... all this sli and cf chit chat makes me laugh until the coke comes out throuh my nose ....

its very simple ....

choose SLI/CF if get caught in merchandise/advertising phrases OR if u want to play Benchmarks.

If you want to get good frames in DCS go for high frequenzi of GPU ... it does not have to be the newest card last generation or even the generation before is good enough for decent frames.

if you all doupt my statement ->read more tech reports of MultiGPU poroblems ... find out how much games actually support SLI/CF ...(u just have to understand that a 100% GPUusage gives u hundred fps - 2GPU with 50%usage each gives u just 100 fps.... u will have a fps increase if the programm is optimized for dualGPU and both GPUs work 65% instead of 50% then AND ONLY THEN u will profit from a dual gpu)

and believe my 2 cent: best result u get with quadcore with more than 3.5ghz, 4 gig ddr3 1600mhz or better, at least ATI 4870 (or nvidia pendant) for 1650x1080, and the most luxurious part u need for dcs series is a SSD.

in other words

CPU: prefer higher clock instead of more cores (imho only 2 threads in DCS: sound/rest)

GPU:prefer higher clock instead of more cores (no actual sli/CF support)

RAM:take at least 4 gig(WIN7) and go for higher freq instead of more RAM

SSD: reduces stuff-reloading times due to its fast acces time 0.1ms - 5ms

and u ready to go .... everything else is just for the bin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

don't even think about it until you have at least complied with my request.

Your 4870x2 is a 256 bit monster of a card. infact you will see little difference in performance with the others.

get on TS and lets go through it. 2000 gmt this evening.

Regards

'T'

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

ATI cards are fine. I am using them since forever and no problems on any game. A good single not cf sli card is my suggestion even if its Nvidia or ATI. Except if you play other games too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

;1170969']

choose SLI/CF if get caught in merchandise/advertising phrases OR if u want to play Benchmarks.

That's not quite fair.

1) A lot of people play more games than DCS.

2) A lot of people use many monitors. If you want more than two on an nVidia platform you NEED two GPU's.

3) Even if you only have two screens, multi-GPU (albeit not SLI) can help unload the primary.

4) Some people want to use 3D screens - that's double the framerate you need to feed.

5) If overclocking is your game, going dual-card instead of higher-rate single-card offers more cooling headroom.

6) SuperSampling Anti-Aliasing on 2560x screens

This is just like paying the huge premium for an Intel 6-core processor: for most people it doesn't matter, but purchasing one doesn't mean one got owned by a marketing campaign. Maybe, just maybe, they have a use for the extra cores - even if it is just to be a bit quicker in encoding videos for Youtube...

Don't be so quick to judge just because something doesn't quite make sense from your own perspective and situation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Go for the fastest SINGLE gpu card you can afford

SLI/crossfire are fine ........ IF the game you are playing is supported by the driver writers

IF it aint then a single card will be faster

example: I had a 4870x2 , with DCS BS it was faster running with one gpu disabled

I wasnt willing to wait until Ati got around to modifying the driver to make BS run better

so I got rid of the card and bought a single gpu card

Single gpu tends to just work out of the box

Dual = driver writer has to tweak it for your game to run properly across 2 gpu's

;1170969']sry ... all this sli and cf chit chat makes me laugh until the coke comes out throuh my nose ....

its very simple ....

If you want to get good frames in DCS go for high frequenzi of GPU ... it does not have to be the newest card last generation or even the generation before is good enough for decent frames.

if you all doupt my statement ->read more tech reports of MultiGPU poroblems ... find out how much games actually support SLI/CF ...(u just have to understand that a 100% GPUusage gives u hundred fps - 2GPU with 50%usage each gives u just 100 fps.... u will have a fps increase if the programm is optimized for dualGPU and both GPUs work 65% instead of 50% then AND ONLY THEN u will profit from a dual gpu)

and believe my 2 cent: best result u get with quadcore with more than 3.5ghz, 4 gig ddr3 1600mhz or better, at least ATI 4870 (or nvidia pendant) for 1650x1080, and the most luxurious part u need for dcs series is a SSD.

in other words

CPU: prefer higher clock instead of more cores (imho only 2 threads in DCS: sound/rest)

GPU:prefer higher clock instead of more cores (no actual sli/CF support)

RAM:take at least 4 gig(WIN7) and go for higher freq instead of more RAM

SSD: reduces stuff-reloading times due to its fast acces time 0.1ms - 5ms

and u ready to go .... everything else is just for the bin

edit: pretty much what etherealn said, skipped his post, he hit the nail on the head.

Edited by Quirkitized

That's not quite fair.

1) A lot of people play more games than DCS.

2) A lot of people use many monitors. If you want more than two on an nVidia platform you NEED two GPU's.

3) Even if you only have two screens, multi-GPU (albeit not SLI) can help unload the primary.

4) Some people want to use 3D screens - that's double the framerate you need to feed.

5) If overclocking is your game, going dual-card instead of higher-rate single-card offers more cooling headroom.

6) SuperSampling Anti-Aliasing on 2560x screens

This is just like paying the huge premium for an Intel 6-core processor: for most people it doesn't matter, but purchasing one doesn't mean one got owned by a marketing campaign. Maybe, just maybe, they have a use for the extra cores - even if it is just to be a bit quicker in encoding videos for Youtube...

Don't be so quick to judge just because something doesn't quite make sense from your own perspective and situation.

i think if they ask grafikcard issue in a dcs forum ... i say what is "best" (imho) for dcs and nothing else... for sure there are a lot of games that need nore grafikpower than dcs but than you have to ask in another forum which solution is best for this game ....

there is nothing like an *best solution* for games .... it allways depends on what software/game u like to play - and in our case, i suppose, its all about dcs ;)

I had no intend to judge btw.... bu if u go for a dual gpu solution without knowing if your game/programm supports that, is like buying a ferrari in the middle of alaska - for sure its the fastest car... but can u really use it in Alaska ?

i hope you get my point ;-) .... i do never judge people..... i just try to show different viewpoints that it gets easyer for the people to judge themselves more objectively.

Sry for sounding offensive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

Well I can't really comment on specific card models (I got a GTX 460 and am happy with it) but my suggestion and personal opinion would be: Don't buy Ati. It's as simple as that.

I'll match your card anyday.

my dads harder than yours.

I got a better job than you.

I'm harder than you.

My porsche is better than whatever you have.

Personal opinions are more often than not, sheer garbage unless backed up with personal experience, knowledge and experience of the subject matter. Clearly you have never had an ATI card because if you had, you would not have made such a daft statement! I have owned NVidia cards and ATI Cards, I've owned Intel and AMD, I've owned Phillips and BenQ, I've had cornflakes for breakfast AND Shredded wheat.

Horses for courses, apples and pears, my wife and her sister.

They all have strengths and weaknesses, but one thing is for sure, they are all pretty good!

Main Banner.PNG

;1172024']i think if they ask grafikcard issue in a dcs forum ... i say what is "best" (imho) for dcs and nothing else... for sure there are a lot of games that need nore grafikpower than dcs but than you have to ask in another forum which solution is best for this game ....

there is nothing like an *best solution* for games .... it allways depends on what software/game u like to play - and in our case, i suppose, its all about dcs ;)

I had no intend to judge btw.... bu if u go for a dual gpu solution without knowing if your game/programm supports that, is like buying a ferrari in the middle of alaska - for sure its the fastest car... but can u really use it in Alaska ?

i hope you get my point ;-) .... i do never judge people..... i just try to show different viewpoints that it gets easyer for the people to judge themselves more objectively.

Sry for sounding offensive.

SLI doesnt work then? Hows this happening then?

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2246/whatrl.jpg

I would always recommend an SLI System since I installed mine. On nearly all games the scaling is superb and the price is right too (when buying the second card later). Upgrading to sli / crossfire even makes sense on a single monitor when someone wants highest graphic settings.

On multi-monitor setups however VRAM may be an issue: If you tend to turn on AA and AF 1.5GB per card could be too less (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/File:PS-GTX460-Crysis3.jpg or http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1068735&postcount=1 ) . On the other hand cards with enough vram are very pricey...

Watercooling can be a good option for noise cancelling but adds another 100$ for each Gfx-card or CPU to be cooled - every generation again...

Edited by scheffchen

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.

SLI doesnt work then? Hows this happening then?

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2246/whatrl.jpg

did u get more Fps ? for instance if u have 25Fps with one Card do u get 50FPS with 2 cards or only about 30 ?

Do u feel microstutters etc etc ....I really like to know .

I once had a CF system (long time ago) and i just couldnt get an "at least 30% fps gain" ... for me that is clearly not working ;-) ... not to talk about the HUUUUGE inputlag of mouse and Trackir.

btw... bought a 6970 ... now everything maxed out (except civTraffic and water) with 1920x1200 and not falling below 25FPs, even in Mp with 10 Player and lots of smoke and battle going on AND Mav on leftMFD and TGP on rightMFD - Thats all i need

check sig for systemspecs

schnarre

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Following to my opening thread I can inform you that I have yesterday ordered a "Club 3D HD 6970" (Item Code: CGAX-69748F).

Today I received a feedback from the onlineshop - the graphic card is on the way! Yeah !!!

Here is the link: http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/radeon-hd-6970.649.html

Maverick

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 | i7-2600K 4x3,4GHz | 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 | Club 3D HD 6970 | Saitek X52 | Win 7 Prof 64-bit

Game settings:

Texture - H, Scenes - H, Civ Traffic - L, Water - H, Visib Range - H, Heat Blur - ON, Shadows - H, Res - 1920x1080, Aspect - 16:9, Monitor - 1, Cp Dsply - 1024 every frame, MSAA 16x, HDR - normal, Clutter/Bushes 185m, Tress Visibility 6000m, Shadow Tree - on, Vsync - On, Full Screen - On, Cockpit Shadows - On, TSSAA - On

;1176309']did u get more Fps ? for instance if u have 25Fps with one Card do u get 50FPS with 2 cards or only about 30 ?

I once had a CF system (long time ago) and i just couldnt get an "at least 30% fps gain" ... for me that is clearly not working ;-) ... not to talk about the HUUUUGE inputlag of mouse and Trackir.

btw... bought a 6970 ... now everything maxed out (except civTraffic and water) with 1920x1200 and not falling below 25FPs, even in Mp with 10 Player and lots of smoke and battle going on AND Mav on leftMFD and TGP on rightMFD - Thats all i need

schnarre

So because your one limited experience with Crossfire with one video card and one game didn't work ("a long time ago"), ALL Crossfire and SLI configurations are a waste of time and money? Multi-GPU gaming can be hit-or-miss, but support and scaling is getting better and better over time. There is considerable hype behind Crossfire and SLI, but I can assure you that it's not all an illusion. There are hard performances benefits.

For my situation, I know that DCS A-10C can get by on one GPU 1920x1200 monitor, but there really are no single GPUs that can run 3 1920x1200 monitors to my satisfaction. Multiple 6970s/6990s in Crossfire or 3GB 580s in SLI were my only option.

Following to my opening thread I can inform you that I have yesterday ordered a "Club 3D HD 6970" (Item Code: CGAX-69748F).

Today I received a feedback from the onlineshop - the graphic card is on the way! Yeah !!!

Here is the link: http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/radeon-hd-6970.649.html

Good call Mav, single GPU = dedicated unhindered performance.

You will see a huge difference.

'T'

Main Banner.PNG

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnarre [Aggro] View Post

did u get more Fps ? for instance if u have 25Fps with one Card do u get 50FPS with 2 cards or only about 30 ?

schnarre

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Granted its low fps but this track is hard on my 2xgtx260's even more so with SLI disabled.

In a couple weeks im getting a 2600k setup with 2x gtx 560 2gb's should even scale better with the sandy cpu.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1177073#post1177073

;1176309']did u get more Fps ? for instance if u have 25Fps with one Card do u get 50FPS with 2 cards or only about 30 ?

schnarre

See http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=72402

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Did you get your card yet installed, if so how goes it? I'm thinking of getting the same card installed on my system.

Lou

• 3 weeks later...

Lou, did you wrote me a PM concerning my new graphic card? I have deleted the message unintended without an answer!

Maverick

Game settings: