Anyone using Beta Innovation's Plasma V2 with Lock On?

As per the topic title: is there anyone here that's using Beta Innovation's Plasma V2 with Flaming Cliffs?

Leo Lacava from Beta Innovations pointed at some problems with this device and Lock On; namely that Lock On doesnt support two controllers with the same name (which the Plasma controller acts as in dual mode) and keeps overwriting the axis settings of controller 2 with those of controller 1 (not the button settings, apparently).

Any information on this problem or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :).

This is really interesting device! I wish they come up with digital output device! Then, along with LUA scripting, it would be possible to build elements of the virtual cockpit.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

JamiroQ, that is correct. Lockon has bug which doesnt recognize the difference between two identical input controllers (HID). You can try plugging in two joysticks which are the identical type.

The option screen works ok, but as soon you exit and try to recheck the controls the both devices get same mapping.

The reason I know that this is a Lockon bug is that in other sims, like Condor for exampe, it works perfectly OK.

Cheers,

// Vati

P.S. JamiroQ, drugic vprasaj take stvari kar doma ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team

It isn’t LO problem. The LO works correctly with all devices via DirectInput only.

If some of devices in DirectX have same names then LO can’t select one from them. If the devices will different names then LO will works properly.

Unfortunaly we haven’t that Plasma device and I can’t say more right now.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

If I understand correctly, you can use this thing to connect your analog "controllers" to--basically just build your mechanical input devices, slap some pots and buttons on them and rock on from that point? However, if you're trying to connect some more sophisticated controllers to it (like ready made HOTAS's), how do you do it?

It isn’t LO problem. The LO works correctly with all devices via DirectInput only.

If some of devices in DirectX have same names then LO can’t select one from them. If the devices will different names then LO will works properly.

Unfortunaly we haven’t that Plasma device and I can’t say more right now.

Chizh, this IS DirectInput. I really suggest you to try plugging in 2 identical joysticks. The problem is same.

And since I have worked on flight sim title which uses DX as well for all input stuff, we do not have this problem (PLASMA included) which is experiencing in LO. Are you sure you are using the right unique device identifier when pooling for input?

We can talk over PM or email if you want.

• ED Team

If a devices have some identical names the LO use for both the one device_name.ini file. In that is problem. We’ll think about that but it not will fix in 1.11. It’s not so easy.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

SUBS17,

There is workaround with LO issue. You simply wire all axis to one device (8 per device), and buttons/switches can be mapped on both devices, but instead mapping functions thru LO you do it from external program which then simulates keyboard strokes like Foxy, etc.

I really hope this will be fixed in 1.2, so there would not be any need for 'middle man'. This LO limitation is indeed huge show stopper for cockpit builders.

• ED Team

Probably we shall solve that issue with 1.11. We can add the unique GUID to device_name.ini files and you will can use equal devices simultaneously.

SUBS17,

There is workaround with LO issue. You simply wire all axis to one device (8 per device), and buttons/switches can be mapped on both devices, but instead mapping functions thru LO you do it from external program which then simulates keyboard strokes like Foxy, etc.

I really hope this will be fixed in 1.2, so there would not be any need for 'middle man'. This LO limitation is indeed huge show stopper for cockpit builders.

Yeah my prototypes going to be using either 2 joystick usb micro-controllers(different types) or my x-45s micro-controller. But if I want to take it further for the hornet pit I'll be likely using a Plasma.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Yeah the X-45 certainly covers all aspects of the hornet hotas axis and button assignments. I'll wait until I have a decent working mold of the twin throttle first before I make it permanent. As for the rest of the pit, Plasma V2 should cover that.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

SUBS17, if I may, where did you get the dimensions of f18 TQS for making own mold? Mason Elec.?

I tried to go similar way, however the price for making molds and casting was way over the top for me. Went then the other way of making totally my own 'make it simple, yet efficient' design, but then luck stroke me, and I got suncom's set of the ebay very cheap :) Not as cute as f18 TQS, not too much deviation from real f15, but it will do just fine :)

I haven't yet, still looking for the TQS dimensions for the Hornet. I know the basic shape and layout but don't have technical drawings or dimensions yet. There is a company that sells F/A-18 hotas but its probably cheaper to buy a house with that sort of money. BTW a friend of mine has just recently bought a Suncom Hotas, I'd be interested in knowing what you did to convert it to USB. I'll send him a link to this thread.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

For f18 TQS dimensions, take a peek to Mason electric catalog. Indeed not all dimensions are shown, however with basic technical drawing skills you can extract everything out.

As for my suncoms... well I am completing a total rework. What is left from original is only grips. So if your friend only want to have them working w/ USB I would suggest to search frugalsworld forums and read how other folks used ordinary game port to USB converter to make it function.