Mig-29K Carrier Ops?

Anybody out there know whether there is a mod for the Mig-29K variant?

I think it would be way cool to have another option for a carrier based aircraft in LO and if I remember right the K variant was a Naval aircraft.

I think it would be way cool to have another option for a carrier based aircraft in LO and if I remember right the K variant was a Naval aircraft.

There is, but there are several Big Buts.

The best (and possibly only) mod is JJ_Alfa's 279KIAP mod. This is for v1.02, and adds several ships and the MiG29K.

The hook doesn't work. There is no code for it, even if the Flanker 3D model allows for it. You can launch from the carrier, use most of the advanced weapons, and make use of the extra fuel, internal jammers and two extra pylons . . . . but you can't land back on the carrier.

Don't recall whether the A2A refuelling works or not.

The really big BUT is that since it's for v1.02 and uses an edited MeInit.xml file, installing it with v1.1 will completely remove the Su25T . . . which is bad news.

To the best of my knowlege, it isn't v1.1 compatible yet. Would take a little work, but that work hasn't yet been done . . . . patience, grasshopper ;)

I'm currently working on an Su25UTG mod to make use of the (hopefully) soon-to-return Instructor mode in Lomac - that doesn't have a hook either, unfortunately.

I wish there was a way to get the code to get one to work . . . . but there isn't.

Although IIRC the AI could get some of the functionality that the human-piloted aircraft couldn't . . . . shrug.

Hi BigAnt,

I made such a mod, but it is currently only for V1.02 - and I wont bother remaking it for V1.1 until the upcoming patch is released(otherwise I would just have to re-do it once again).

The mod was originally not intended as a "flyable" mod, but merely to re-introduce the MiG-29K as an AI entry in Lock-on and as such it works perfectly - the AI controlled MiG-29K can air-refuel, take-off/land on the carrier and use the full range of guided anti-ship, anti-radar and air-to-ground missiles/guided bombs. The only "deductor" is the nature of the 3D model I used - being from Flanker 2.5, the fidelity of this is considerably below the "generic" Lock-on models.

But as Britglider said, the "flyable" bit about the mod is a lot less interesting because, apart from an incorrect cockpit, there are a number of things which dont work for the player controlled MiG-29K - you cannot control the hook so you cannot make carrier landings, you cannot make aerial refuelling(no IFR probe control) and there is no working air-to-ground radar so launching anti-ship missiles isnt an option either. Optically guided weapons can be used though, and in the current version of the mod, you can also use anti-radar missiles......However, this will not be possible in V1.1 due to some profound changes in the code for ARM targeting procedures.

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

But as Britglider said, the "flyable" bit about the mod is a lot less interesting because, apart from an incorrect cockpit, there are a number of things which dont work for the player controlled MiG-29K - you cannot control the hook so you cannot make carrier landings, you cannot make aerial refuelling(no IFR probe control) and there is no working air-to-ground radar so launching anti-ship missiles isnt an option either. Optically guided weapons can be used though, and in the current version of the mod, you can also use anti-radar missiles......However, this will not be possible in V1.1 due to some profound changes in the code for ARM targeting procedures.

Cheers,

- JJ.

Purely out of interest - can you not still use the method for targeting the Kh41 with the Su33 on the other radar-guided missiles?

Complicated, but doable.

Purely out of interest - can you not still use the method for targeting the Kh41 with the Su33 on the other radar-guided missiles?

Complicated, but doable.

No I cant.

The problem is that there is sort of half a ground radar routine modelled for the MiG-29K player FM - this means that if you enter air-to-ground mode(7) and switch on radar, the MFD will display a dysfunctional a2g radar routine left over from Flanker. The symbology of this will show up on the MFD - you can even "zoom" the range intervals and get the appropriate wide search box, narrow search box and ultimately the targeting crosshairs, but on the background of some weird textures(in V1.1 there is actually a map like background), but you cannot target anything. You can fire anti-ship missiles by using the "launch override" function, but the missile will just fly blindly and ultimately fall into the sea.

The particular(peculiar) Kh-41 targeting/launch routine is only coded for the Su-33 player FM, so in order to use it for an aircraft mod, you would need to make a simple "shape swap" and use the Su-33 slot(thus FM) as "donor". With this method the hook, IFR probe and wing-fold mechanism will also work with the MiG-29K 3D model.....but as you know, you would really be flying the Su-33 only with a different external appearance.

However, what I like about my mod, is that it adds an extra fully functional AI aircraft to the sim without affecting any of the existing Lock-on aircraft in any way - i.e. without sacrificing the Su-33(my favourite Lock-on aircraft) in the process, so I am not very enthusiastic about the "file swap" solution :) .

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

No I cant.

The problem is that there is sort of half a ground radar routine modelled for the MiG-29K player FM - this means that if you enter air-to-ground mode(7) and switch on radar, the MFD will display a dysfunctional a2g radar routine left over from Flanker. The symbology of this will show up on the MFD - you can even "zoom" the range intervals and get the appropriate wide search box, narrow search box and ultimately the targeting crosshairs, but on the background of some weird textures(in V1.1 there is actually a map like background), but you cannot target anything. You can fire anti-ship missiles by using the "launch override" function, but the missile will just fly blindly and ultimately fall into the sea.

Cheers,

- JJ.

Oh.

Bugger.

:p

Well, it was a nice idea . . . . grin.

And it was indeed nice to have the extra AI aircraft - any plans to rework the mod for Flaming Cliffs?

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. Bummer, well I'll just keep hoping for the K to come along someday.

Speaking of Mig-29's, I was driving by Nellis AFB todya on my way home from work and noticed a Mig-29 sitting in all by itself off to the north end of the base. It doesn't have any markings on it that I can see as far as nationality. I'll try to get a picture posted this weekend if anyone is interested. Shocker to see it at the base especially so far from the rest of the aircraft.

Oh.

And it was indeed nice to have the extra AI aircraft - any plans to rework the mod for Flaming Cliffs?

Yes as soon as the V1.11 patch is released, I will re-do it :)

In addition I will include a little naval expansion, that I am working on at the moment. This will:

- import virtually all the extra ships from Flanker + the Pyotr Velikiy

- distriute them according to type and number available for the countries in the region

- re-name/number them according to the exact vessels currently in service

- re-work the encyclopedia data for all ships to make it more accurate and to reflect the above.

I could also put the F-111 in there :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. Bummer, well I'll just keep hoping for the K to come along someday.

Yes! :D . In replying to this post my post-count is now "931".....it must be a sign ;) . Glory to the first person who can figure out what I mean by that :biggrin: .

Speaking of Mig-29's, I was driving by Nellis AFB todya on my way home from work and noticed a Mig-29 sitting in all by itself off to the north end of the base. It doesn't have any markings on it that I can see as far as nationality. I'll try to get a picture posted this weekend if anyone is interested. Shocker to see it at the base especially so far from the rest of the aircraft.

It sounds like it could be one of the MiG-29s they bought from Moldova - It would be cool if you could get a picture of it......but dont get yourself arrested! :biggrin:

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

• 8 months later...
In replying to this post my post-count is now "931".....it must be a sign ;) . Glory to the first person who can figure out what I mean by that :biggrin: .

Hi Jens,

Just to point out that your post count shows 1764 on my computer.... As for the 931 mean, I'll give it a shot:) This was the player's controled MiG-29K on-board number in your MiG-29K add-on for Flanker 2.5, not sure for the LO 1.02 mod.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Hi Tito,

Hi Jens,

Just to point out that your post count shows 1764 on my computer....

Hehe....yeah but this thread is almost a year old :)

As for the 931 mean, I'll give it a shot:) This was the player's controled MiG-29K on-board number in your MiG-29K add-on for Flanker 2.5, not sure for the LO 1.02 mod.

Oh yeah thats true - but there were two reasons for that ;) .

1). The bort numbers of the real MiG-29K prototypes are "311" and "312" which I wanted to replicate, but as you may recall, the aircraft numbering sequence was fixed in F2.5 - player controlled aircraft was always assigned # "50" and AI controlled ones the sequence: "01", "02" etc. So I edited the "0" digit in the "nomera.tga" file to "31" instead to get AI controlled MiG-29Ks to show "311", "312" instead of "01", "02".

But this didn't work for the player controlled MiG-29K because player aircraft always got the "50" as default, which then became "531" with the above modding. So I decided to also change the "5" digit to "9" - i.e with....

- "0" changed to "31"

- "5" changed to "9"

....."50" would became "931".

2). Because the MiG-29K(initial version) has factory code "9-31" ;)

Cheers,

- Jens.

JJ

Oups, didn't notice the date. That explains why you mention the 1.11 patch..... How embarassing!

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=