.LOM Cockpit Replacing F-15C

I am currently deep in the stages of modelling an F-16D cockpit, and I was wondering if anyone has had any success exporting their cockpit as a .LOM and replacing the old .CMD cockpits (Such as the F-15C Eagle)

If you have, could you just outline the process very basically, and upload a screen-shot of a hierarchy of one of your cockpits so I can reference it?

Thanks,

William.

FinalRun.jpg

There is nothing too big in doing that now days. You just need to know arguments for gauges which you can know by opening old cmd in model viewer and there is a script here somewhere which will help you to move the Hud and Mfds.

D cockpit...got any screenshots and a reason as to why a D? :)

Hope it's not the IRIS model.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Yep, with fc2 its not difficult. Make sure your system unit setup is set to 1 unit = 1 meters. Coordinates 0,0,0 will act as the eye position in game. The x axis is the forwards and backwards direction, the y axis is the sideway direction and z is the up and down direction of the model. Another "issue" when modeling for FC2 is that you will need to assign a material with texture to all parts. If a part of your model doesn't have a texture, it will be invisible in game in most cases.

D cockpit...got any screenshots and a reason as to why a D? :)

Hope it's not the IRIS model.

I actually was a modeler for IRIS but I didn't have enough time to work with my schedule - but sadly for me, no, this is a totally different personal project thats showed itself to be extremely time consuming. I'll post some screenshots once I get everything situated in the right spot on the dash. Its a Peace Carvin IV specialty.

Yep, with fc2 its not difficult. Make sure your system unit setup is set to 1 unit = 1 meters. Coordinates 0,0,0 will act as the eye position in game. The x axis is the forwards and backwards direction, the y axis is the sideway direction and z is the up and down direction of the model. Another "issue" when modeling for FC2 is that you will need to assign a material with texture to all parts. If a part of your model doesn't have a texture, it will be invisible in game in most cases.

Okay Thanks! - Does the cockpit need to have several LOD's? And do I need to have a dummy object for every part?

FinalRun.jpg

You wont need LOD for your cockpit model, as this model will only be shown from the cockpit view in game. Though there is a trick to get the mfd's and hud to work on your custom pits which is done using the lod system, but nothing of that is done in 3dsmax.

You wont need a dummy for each object either. We don't have the "correct" procedure to create cockpits since it was never released from ED, so most of the knowledge about cockpit models have been found doing t the hard way. So with that said, it might be that ED uses dummy's etc when creating cockpits, but personally I haven't found it to be necessary.

If you're from the FSX modding community I can also add that lockons system for gauges etc is just normal animation. THe gauges are built up in 3d and then animated in the appropriate argument. Each function in the cockpit (and outside model) has its own argument. So you assign the correct argument for the part you want to do, and then animate this part accordingly. Personally I find it to be a organized system, but can be a bit of a pain to get right the first times. Also, to my knowledge object names does not suit any purpose in game.

Alright, thanks a bundle, I've got a bit of work ahead of me, but once it hits time to export I'll just have to go with it and export.

Here's my latest screenshot. Keep in mind this is a specialty (Reason will be revealed once its done) so there are a few gauges replaced by different gauges or knobs and switches.

MyD.jpg

Falcon4pointsomething.jpg

Edited by VBK_Sniper_1-1
FinalRun.jpg

What block are you trying to model? Just curious. Also, if you are using FSX IRIS, that cockpit is very inaccurate, pretty but nothing else.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..