Jedi's A-10C home made cockpit

jvanes

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

note to all, further needed for this pit are 2 steel pipes wich hold the seat and backrest.

Dimension for theses pipes are:

- seat support: 25mm/550mm

- backrest support: 25mm/510mm

supports.jpg.c3b166896ddcfdafce15e15dc69ca104.jpg

Edited by jvanes

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BTW, for those of you that are in the Pacific Northwest, I would be happy to cut these plans out for you. I only charge for time & materials. Time only if you bring the material. (Yes, you can watch it be cut if you want. :D )

If you're NOT in the Pacific Northwest, please hit the 100kgarages.com site to try to find a ShopBotter or other CNC router user in your area. Trust me, you do NOT want to pay freight on the weight of 3 sheets of 12mm, one sheet of 6mm and about an eighth sheet of 18mm. :)

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007.

http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of her kind.

Gene,

Thanks for your kind help to the pit builders in your area. Time only cncing is a great value for a quick pit build. Wish I was closer, but Texas does it for me.

Lumper

-------------------------------------------

When the going gets tough, the smart cutout.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jedi,

Please forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere.

I loaded Gene's .dxf conversion into Sketchup and built up the Wharthog model as best I could without instructions - most of it goes together very intuitively. It's a beautiful assembly, and just so happens to fit into our collimated display as if it were destined to be there.

I do have a couple questions and an error pickup, though:

1: Is there a set of step-by-step instructions? After assembly, I have a few bits left over with no immediately obvious location.

2: Is there any reinforcing between the seat pan and back? (I suspect this will be covered if there are instructions available)

3: The slots in the seat pan are wider than the 12mm called out for the seat back. Does something else go in the slot along with the seat back, or is this an error?

4: (pickup) The c-shaped 6mm decorative pieces at the front of the tub section have one leg 12mm longer than the other, interfering with the front tub legs.

I'm working with geneb to get everything cleaned up; once it's all good, I'll upload my Sketchup model.

Jedi,

Please forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere.

I loaded Gene's .dxf conversion into Sketchup and built up the Wharthog model as best I could without instructions - most of it goes together very intuitively. It's a beautiful assembly, and just so happens to fit into our collimated display as if it were destined to be there.

I do have a couple questions and an error pickup, though:

1: Is there a set of step-by-step instructions? After assembly, I have a few bits left over with no immediately obvious location.

2: Is there any reinforcing between the seat pan and back? (I suspect this will be covered if there are instructions available)

3: The slots in the seat pan are wider than the 12mm called out for the seat back. Does something else go in the slot along with the seat back, or is this an error?

4: (pickup) The c-shaped 6mm decorative pieces at the front of the tub section have one leg 12mm longer than the other, interfering with the front tub legs.

I'm working with geneb to get everything cleaned up; once it's all good, I'll upload my Sketchup model.

Hi wlezian,

No problem to anwser your questions.

First, no i do not have a step by step instruction manual, but most of it is pretty straight forward.

Could u tell me what parts you are refering to?

Maybe i can explain it then or make a small assembly picture.

Second, no there is no reinforcement between the seat and the backrest.

The backrest just slides in the 2 slots of the seat.

Somting i added later were 2 little brackets behind the steel pipes for stopping the seat moving forward.

Third, the slots in de seat are wider because the backrest slides in on a angle.

Also the seat is adjustible in height so is needs some free margin. (see pictures)

Fourth, i will look it up to see i have missed anything there.

EDIT: yes, you are right, it was somtin i had changed later when i had the pit cnc-ed, the 12mm extra should not be there.

Keep u posted :thumbup:

Clipboard01.jpg.aab9f55542000ef4904cffb2a361b12f.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg.b560b81cc1dc706255dbd8ec3245ecd0.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg.c9dc7df75a57712fb1bfcb58a13b65d8.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg.7ec91df7c481e451c290803d3906ad8c.jpg

Edited by jvanes

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gene,

Thanks for your kind help to the pit builders in your area. Time only cncing is a great value for a quick pit build. Wish I was closer, but Texas does it for me.

Lumper, take a peek here:

http://www.100kgarages.com/fabbers/map

There looks to be a few fabbers near Ft. Worth that you could use.

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007.

http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of her kind.

Gene,

Thanks, I know of a couple of places near me that have cnc capability. I have been thinking of a few changes that would work better for me. I have an original ab pit that I used for the last few years. While easy to use and setup, it is hard for me to get out of and starts to get uncomfortable after a few hours. I have been thinking of making the seat higher (Yea I know it might make steping in/out harder) and changing seat angle to 13% angle and mip to near 85% angle. The latter would make major change to monitor support table frontend and I also think a better way to secure the mip to it. So still in planning stage. Again thanks Gene.

Lumper

Lumper

-------------------------------------------

When the going gets tough, the smart cutout.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I see in earlier replies to this post that some people were having issues finding a program to view the DXF files.

If anybody needs PDF's of the drawings, I'd have no issue making them from AutoCAD and posting them for download. The PDFs could then be easily viewed and also taken to a Kinko's or other print stores that handle architectural drawings for plotting on a large format printer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...