OT: SU-33 crashes in Norwegian sea

Fifth.

First crashed in 1991, pilot Timur Apakidze ejected

second - 1996 Vitaly Kuz'menko was lost :(

third - 2000, Pavel Kretov ejected

fourth - 2001, Timur Apakidze was lost :(

fifth - now.

BTW, yesturday, when were landing Su-33s which were in air when crashed this one, was teared down second braking-wire but pilot could to take off and then land.

Коричневые очки никогда не поранят мозг. Они небьющиеся.

Brown-coloured spectacles will never harm a brain. They are unbreakable. (с) Me

сфсвсг

I'm the future of the Russian government.

According to Scott Lofgren,

Bentley Systems global director.

The most important thing in such situations for the pilot is to react quickly, and not trying to troubleshoot the problem, because no matter how good the ejection seat is, if you don't have time for it to work, you're dead.

.5 seconds to actually "get out" of the plane, ie .5 seconds after pulling the ejection handles the seat's rocket has fired and the seat is going up, the neckrest will fire and deploy the parachute .65 seconds after leaving the rails, so roughly after .85 seconds after pulling the ejection handles. In such a low speed situation, this can be considered a 0-0 ejection, so the pilot was hanging under a full chute in approximately 1.3 seconds.

This all goes for the basic k-36dm, not the now used k-36DM 3.5, which got an electronic sequencer with over 150 "ejection scenarios", rocket control (load limitation for lighter ejectees and some thrust vectoring and burn time control) and a newly designed headrest for faster parachute deployment.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

It's standard procedure on US aircraft carriers anyway, AFAIK - that way if you miss the wire or if it snaps, you can pull the nose up coming off the deck and not end up swimming with the fishes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Question to our navy-ish folks:

Isn't it standard procedure to light the burners as soon as you crash onto the deck? Just incase something like that happens?

Or could the wire of slowed the plane down too much before it snapped?

Yes it is standard procedure, but as you suggested, the aircraft might have been slowed down to the point where it no longer had the speed to take off again, yet not slowed down enough to stop it from going overboard.

Besides, there is no mention of the condition of the aircraft itself after the wire snapped - it could have been damaged in the process. At any rate the pilot would have only split seconds to make a decision on what to do in such a situation.

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ