Hi I'm new and need a suggestion

snipermex1

Hi every one, I'm new here and made this account because I was interested to get either DCS A10, Black Shark or Lock On

I currently have 80$ to spend and would like some people to suggest me which of the 3 products to get,

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Edited"

I should probably give some detail about my system:

Windows 7 (64-bit)

CPU E-6700 Dual Core 3.20GHz

GPU Nvidia GT430 1GB

4GB RAM

I have a Logitech Attack 3 joystick

Edited by snipermex1

A-10C all the way!

Hi there! Welcome to the giant DCS family! :)

I personally like DCS A-10C the best, I just like how the whole system works and how it handles.

Achieving World Peace - One 2000lb JDAM at a time.

Intel i7 9700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz , ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI OC, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S.

~

Proud Member of the 62nd Fighting Falcons

~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi there! Welcome to the giant DCS family! :)

I personally like DCS A-10C the best, I just like how the whole system works and how it handles.

Thanks for the reply, could you tell me one thing, does it get boring? I mean the A-10 is a beast and is probably a hell of fun blasting tanks with the GAU-8, but is there any thing that could keep you going? Dynamic campaign? good multiplayer? something special about it other than being a good looking realistic simulator of an A-10?

It is fantastic, seriously. You play single player campaign its good, you keep playing missions being made by the community (Check out Druid_, he makes amazing missions http://forums.eagle.ru/member.php?u=60317). Then you get to multi-player. When you fly mission with another person, anything can happen, so many variables, a unique experience every time you fly. This is the same for Black Shark and Lock on, however my personal favorite is the 'Hog.

As for things to keep you going, just a personal drive for perfection, to learn about the aircraft, to know its limits, to know what it can. The great thing about DCS and Lock-On is, once you get to know something, it is entirely satisfying. I would definitely say it is something special.

Achieving World Peace - One 2000lb JDAM at a time.

Intel i7 9700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz , ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI OC, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S.

~

Proud Member of the 62nd Fighting Falcons

~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You should make your decission in first place by what you prefer: fixed wing or choppers. Then buy either DCS A10 or BS2. FC2 offers a variety of fixed wings, but its not compatible with DCS and FC3 (which will be compatible) is on the way and will be released in 2012. FC2 is "arcade" compared to DCS.

After that decission, both DCS modules offer a stunning experience of immersion while you study the basics and get more and more sophisticated with the aircraft and its habits. It is very helpfull to join one of the squads that fit your needs best and have nice people. Some squads offer step-by-step training from the first hour of flight to LCR (limited combat ready) and CR (combat ready) and beyond. DCS is no exception: most fun is to fly together in a team with nice people you would also drink a beer with in the evenings.

Don't expect to be "king of the hill" in 3 weeks... it takes lots of flight hours even for the basics, but you will enjoy every second.

If you like flightsims and are willing to spend hours and hours of learning and flying, DCS is by far unrivaled in combat flight sim.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ariescon.com

Intel i7-6700K | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA GTX 1080 | 1TB m.2 SSD | TM Warthog | Logitech G-35 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Ultimate 64bit | 3 monitor setup @5760x1080 | Occulus Rift

I should probably give some detail about my system:

Windows 7 (64-bit)

CPU E-6700 Dual Core 3.20GHz

GPU Nvidia GT430 1GB

4GB RAM

I have a Logitech Attack 3 joystick

Unfortunately, I am very worried about that GPU. The 430 is not a very powerful thing, and with the added graphical weight of DCS A-10C and Black Shark 2, you might run into trouble getting things to run smoothly. The CPU is also a bit on the weak side.

For this reason, and your worry about getting bored, I'd probably suggest getting LOMAC (required for FC2), try that out to see if you like the general style of product, and then get FC2 if you like what you see. FC2 has many improvements to weapons, aircraft, flight model data and so on. It also is less graphically demanding.

(FC3 has no release date yet, and it's too early to say anything about hardware for that.)

A couple reasons for this recommendation as well aside from the purely technical:

1) LOMAC/FC2 has multiple aircraft of different types, letting you try out a couple things and you'll probably find something you like in there. FC adds an additional (and more "techy") variant of the Su-25 with a much improved flight model ("AFM" - "Advanced Flight Model").

2) It is easier to learn the aircaft in LOMAC/FC, so if you are just starting up it is easier to avoid getting into the "study wall" where things might become complex. Gets you flying and fighting to learn the basics of how to fight with modern birds.

3) Right now, it's the only way to fly the F-15... :D

4) Su-25. One of my favourite aircraft when I was a kid. :D

There is no Dynamic Campaign in either product, but DCS A-10C and Black Shark 2 does have a mission generator that can generate missions for you. Eagle Dynamics is moving slowly and iteratively in the direction of a DC, but I can't say when/if we'll finally get a DC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Eagle Dynamics is moving slowly and iteratively in the direction of a DC, but I can't say when/if we'll finally get a DC.

Ah, the future looks bright :thumbup:

@the op:

I do own all 3 products and I wouldn't recommend FC2 (you need a separate copy of Lock On to be able to play it).

My recommendation for you is: get DCS A-10C, if you like the "hawg" just a tiny bit. The very, very well done training missions alone will keep you occupied for some time. If you don't like the A10, get the sim nonetheless, you'll fall in love in no time. :D

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I concur with EthereaN. That GPU will have a hard time with A-10C/BS2. Get LOMAC- and upgrade to FC2 if you like it. Especially if you haven't played many sims before. The DCS series is the deep end.

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Those are console games, with graphics generally optimised for hardware that is more than 5 years old. ;)

Also, the type of graphics we are talking about in these cases is completely different - shooters do indeed have a higher level of detail as far as meshes and effect density goes, but they're not asked to render country-sized environments at the same time.

To illustrate, GT430 first, then GTX260 (the recommendation for BS2):

Pixel Fillrate: 2.8 GP/s | 16.128 GP/s

Texel Fillrate: 5.6 GT/s | 36.864 GT/s

Memory Bandwidth: 28.8 GB/s | 111.9GB/s

Raw compute: 268.8 GFLOPs | 715.392 GFLOPs

The games will run and you should be able to make it playable at low configuration, but I don't dare say how well because I haven't even tried it with something as low down the performance scale as a 430. Of course, if there's issues then this is eminently moddable due to the LUA infrastructure that allows you to customize settings beyond what is reached through in-game options screens. But yeah, I'd definitely suggest starting with the less demanding FC2.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Those are console games, with graphics generally optimised for hardware that is more than 5 years old. ;)

Also, the type of graphics we are talking about in these cases is completely different - shooters do indeed have a higher level of detail as far as meshes and effect density goes, but they're not asked to render country-sized environments at the same time.

To illustrate, GT430 first, then GTX260 (the recommendation for BS2):

Pixel Fillrate: 2.8 GP/s | 16.128 GP/s

Texel Fillrate: 5.6 GT/s | 36.864 GT/s

Memory Bandwidth: 28.8 GB/s | 111.9GB/s

Raw compute: 268.8 GFLOPs | 715.392 GFLOPs

The games will run and you should be able to make it playable at low configuration, but I don't dare say how well because I haven't even tried it with something as low down the performance scale as a 430. Of course, if there's issues then this is eminently moddable due to the LUA infrastructure that allows you to customize settings beyond what is reached through in-game options screens. But yeah, I'd definitely suggest starting with the less demanding FC2.

Alright, I see your point, won't be much fun flying an A-10 on super low settings, I could try to save up some money, so what GPU do you suggest me to get? not something pricey, I have around 80-90$ right now, I need something better than the GT430, and I don't want a GTX540 or something high end like that, it's around 1000+ shekels here in Israel and I only have around 400 shekels.

To be honest, in this situation my general recommendation would be to take the less demanding option - for example FC2 - and then save up a bit of money. Even something like a 540 would not last very long today. LOMAC/FC2 gives you a lot of playtime and should fly acceptably on that machine.

Regarding hardware targets, it's hard to say since I don't know your financial situation obviously (you a student or otherwise unemployed?), but with a system like that I'd probably suggest that you try to save up for a replacement system at some point. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, but I think that is what would probably give you the most bang for the buck. This is also due to the fact that you quoting Crysis 2 and Battlefield do play other games as well, and it will not be too long until we enter a new console generation - and then suddenly one of the things that have been holding back the hardware requirements of many mainstream PC games (that is, that they are also developed for old consoles) will disappear, and at that point I suspect you'd find yourself needing to replace the computer anyhow for those games too. Might as well prepare for that and be ready when the day comes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

To be honest, in this situation my general recommendation would be to take the less demanding option - for example FC2 - and then save up a bit of money. Even something like a 540 would not last very long today. LOMAC/FC2 gives you a lot of playtime and should fly acceptably on that machine.

Regarding hardware targets, it's hard to say since I don't know your financial situation obviously (you a student or otherwise unemployed?), but with a system like that I'd probably suggest that you try to save up for a replacement system at some point. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, but I think that is what would probably give you the most bang for the buck. This is also due to the fact that you quoting Crysis 2 and Battlefield do play other games as well, and it will not be too long until we enter a new console generation - and then suddenly one of the things that have been holding back the hardware requirements of many mainstream PC games (that is, that they are also developed for old consoles) will disappear, and at that point I suspect you'd find yourself needing to replace the computer anyhow for those games too. Might as well prepare for that and be ready when the day comes.

Alright, thank you for the info, Ill get FC2 and see how I like it and how it plays.

Just remember that FC2 does require LOMAC, which unfortunately ED is not able to offer as a download.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

A little suggestion, if in future you plan to upgrade a little bit your PC, you can find decent card starting at 140$ ... HD6850 1024mb, or for a bit more around 170$, GTX560 - HD6870

AMD start launch his new series, but the middle range will not be there before 02/2012 and high priced, for Nvidia they are really not ready to launch the new series ( early report say March, but after CES, it can be moved even further following rumors ).

Try look maybe sometimes on E-tailer or shop, Nvidia / retailers will certainly decrease older series price, same for AMD gpu who will empty the last in stock for make some place on the new serie.

Ofc the problem is too, your CPU is really dated ( first Intel C2D series ), so dont look on high end gpu models, the cpu power will be far not enough anyway.

Edited by Lane

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

Be careful of that bright yellow thing, it can't be good because it hurts my eyes when I try to look at it. :(

Nah, to be serious, it is available for mail order (through ED and TFC), and might be possible to find in bargain bins and various game retailers for cheap - I've seen it at the equivalent of 5 dollars for a disc. The requirement is unfortunately out of ED's hands, old legal stuff.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Is FC3 going to be fully standalone?

I don't know. I would guess the answer is no, but I haven't checked. (I'm not sure anyone knows yet, but I'm not privy to the legal/business type stuff so I wouldn't know anyhow.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I only ask because I can't find my LOMAC disc. If I need that AND FC1 and FC2 just to get FC3 thats a lot of outlay.

My guess is that the requirement for FC3 is going to be LOMAC only, not FC1 or FC2. Remember, FC2 does only require LOMAC, there is no requirement to have FC1. But again, I don't know any of this for sure when it comes to future products, just guessing based on past experience.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Be careful of that bright yellow thing, it can't be good because it hurts my eyes when I try to look at it. :(

Nah, to be serious, it is available for mail order (through ED and TFC), and might be possible to find in bargain bins and various game retailers for cheap - I've seen it at the equivalent of 5 dollars for a disc. The requirement is unfortunately out of ED's hands, old legal stuff.

I'm sure ill find it easily, there's always like a basket full of old really cheap games, it should be in there, infact, I think I actually seen it already, but it was like 2-3 months ago, I remember seeing a game with Lock On on it, can't remember the full name, pretty sure it was it.

btw maybe I should get ATI HD6750 1024MB it's not too pricey and should be better than my GT430 it's only around 560 shekels

here's the full info on it, ignore the stuff in Hebrew

מעבד גרפי GPU AMD Radeon HD 6750

מהירות ליבה Engine Clock 740MHz

זכרון Video Memory 1024MB GDDR5

מהירות זכרון Memory Clock 4800MHz

PCI Express 2.0, 128 bit

יציאות Output DVI-I x 2, HDMI, VGA

תומך Support DirectX 11, OpenGL 4.1

קוד דגם Product Code GV-R675OC-1GI