RAM 8.00 GB (4.00 GB Usable)

I was messing around in Windows, and saw this.

System specs are in my signature. What are you guys thinking to try and fix it?

I'm gonna try reseating the sticks, and checking out my BIOS.

Another weird that that happened when I bought this RAM a few months ago is the speed defaulted to 1333 MHz, when they're stock @ 1600 MHz.

I'll try reseating the sticks and looking in the BIOS, but this is a little irritating and I'm hoping you guys can offer up suggestions.

23a749ea.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How To Fix Your X-52's Rudder!

It appears now looking at my motherboard QVL...8 GB configurations aren't a good set up on this board, which is BS.

It likes configurations of 2, 4, 6, and Kingston brand 12 GB.

I don't know how this has only just now caught my eye though. I've had this memory installed since December and haven't noticed that until just now.

Looks like I'll be buying completely new memory. :/ These G.Skill sticks won't work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was just reading about this stuff last night oddly enough! Ram is sort of tricky in that the speeds listed don't mean you automatically get that. So just because you have 1600 or 2133 RAM doesn't mean that you can just pop them in and get those speeds. Here is a cut/paste that sort of sums it up...

For example, let’s say that you bought a pair of DDR3-2133/PC3-17000 memories. Even though they are labeled as DDR3-2133, they won’t run at 2,133 MHz automatically on your system. This is the maximum clock rate they support, not the clock rate at which they will be running. If you install it on a regular PC system supporting DDR3 memories, they will probably run at 1,333 MHz (DDR3-1333) – which the maximum DDR3 standard speed –, achieving a maximum transfer rate of 10,664 MB/s (or 21,328 MB/s if they are running under dual channel mode, read our tutorial on dual channel to understand more about this subject). So, they won’t automatically run at 2,133 MHz nor automatically achieve the 17,000 MB/s transfer rate.

So, why would someone buy these modules? Someone would buy them for overclocking. Since the manufacturer guarantees that these modules will run up to 2,133 MHz, you know that you can raise the memory bus clock up to 1,066 MHz to achieve a higher performance with your system. However, your motherboard must support this kind of overclocking (read our tutorial on memory overclocking for more details). Thus buying a memory module with a labeled clock rate higher than what your system supports is useless if you are not going to overclock your system.

• Like 1

i7-920 @3.8Ghz / MSI X58m / 8GB DDR3 / 2 x HD5770 / Asus-vw226h @1920x1200 / 2x OCZ Vertex 2 80GB SSD's / Win 7-64 / TrackIR 5 / Saitek x52 / Razer BlackWidow Mech Keyboard / Razer Deathadder

Stuttering or fps problems? Updated April 25/11: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68060

Check out this fantastic list of must have and FREE programs: http://www.logichaos.com/joomla/component/content/article/35-text-guides/82-ultimate-list-of-free-programs-for-windows.html

Castle?

Have send ya a pm..........:)

Yes I have looked at my qualified vendor list, thanks though Emmer.

I use G.Skill in all of my machines. I have seen this isue once before. Try re-seating the modules. It has worked in the past for me.

Out

I tried firmly reseating the modules.

Check Bios , look for memory re-map

Turning memory remap on/off does not fix it.

//

I honestly believe this is a compatibility issue. ASUS does not list my memory modules as being compatible. Here's a snapshot of the G.SKILL section of my motherboard's QVL:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/lqcorsa/87310e2d.jpg

As you can see...only 2 thu 6 GB is supported.

My only options are to downgrade to 6 GB modules, or upgrade to 12, because my motherboard does support Kingston 12 GB modules for 3 x 4 GB.

However...I think this may bump me down to single channel.

Argghh what am I to do? :helpsmilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I stopped getting Asus "deluxe" Mobos about a year or so ago after nothing but troubles through the range. I have however always bought Asus Mobos for at least 10 years (before that I was "generic" (Foxconn and Via both served me well for a long time)).

EDIT: When I say range I meant Deluxe types.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] AEF Flesh | 161 SQN

System: 965BE / 5850 Toxic / TrackIR 5 Pro / 120gb Corsair Force 3 GT / 2TB Raid10 / 6GB RAM /TM HOTAS Warthog / G13 / Combat Rudder Pedals..... and lots more :doh:

Ive gone through 4 various ASUS MOBO's and 3 different sets of Gskill brand ram, just upgrading, I like em.

But yea its always a good idea to check the QVL, its there for a reason.

Good luck.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS:WIN7 HP X64|MOBO:ASRock Z68|CPU:I52500k@4Ghz|RAM:12Gb 3x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 @1600Mhz|GPU:ASUS GTX580|HDD:2x128Gb Crucial sataIII SSD raid0|PSU:Antek 1000watt|Case:Antek 1200|Peripherals: TMWH|Saitek ProFlight rudder pedals|TrackIr4

Ive gone through 4 various ASUS MOBO's and 3 different sets of Gskill brand ram, just upgrading, I like em.

But yea its always a good idea to check the QVL, its there for a reason.

Good luck.

I have noticed that Asus does not seem to use GSkill ram in their QVL's from what I remember. I currently have GSkill in mine with the M4A89GTD and it seems fine.

Asus Mobos have always IMO given good bang for buck.

System: 965BE / 5850 Toxic / TrackIR 5 Pro / 120gb Corsair Force 3 GT / 2TB Raid10 / 6GB RAM /TM HOTAS Warthog / G13 / Combat Rudder Pedals..... and lots more :doh:

I was only supposed to be looking at 1156 boards....

Instead I have a Sandy Bridge 2500K, Maximus IV Gene-Z, Obsidian 650D, H80 cooler, new PSU, and case mods on the way. :doh:

When a bit of kit goes "Pete Tong" I always use it as an excuse to the Missus to get more than I should.

Good you found the problem though. Did you do the sticks one at a time and move them around?

When a bit of kit goes "Pete Tong" I always use it as an excuse to the Missus to get more than I should.

Good you found the problem though. Did you do the sticks one at a time and move them around?

Yeah I switched DIMMs and I got all 8 GB suddenly...but obviously went down into single channel speed since I wasn't using the "paired sticks" slots.

So I got suspicious, and stuck an old stick into the original slot alone, and my computer didn't detect any memory. Switched slots, and the memory was detected.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]