For those who trim pitch on X-45 thumb rotary

My preferred way to control elevator trim is with the X-45 rotary, even though I understand that with many/all jets trim control is on a hatswitch.

Since I started flying LOMAC - about a month - I've had trouble controlling my elevator trim and haven't been able to figure out why - until now.

In LOMAC, the neutral elevator trim position is offset by three 'ridges' on the X-45 thumb rotary, counted in the direction away from from the user, which means you must dial the thumb rotary toward you by that amount. If you use an X-45 for elevator trim this will make sense. I put a small hashmark against the rotary's detent position on the body of my X-45 throttle so I can easily set this position before starting a LOMAC mission.

I only realized this as I learned the Russian jets which have neutral position LEDs for all three trim axis. Because I started with the A-10, and then the F-15, I had no way of noticing this and wondered why I always felt nose heavy on takeoff - which also took a long time as you can imagine - then had to dial in positive elevator trim to achieve level flight.

(I'm assuming this isn't a fault with my X-45. I use it in IL2 where the central detent on the thumb rotary corresponds to the neutral trim position on the aircraft.)

Before you start a mission in LOMAC, adjust your X-45 rotary as I've described and you'll see what I mean. You can check this in the Russian jets to confirm.

I throw this out there for any X-45 users who may not have noticed.

HEC 435W PSU | ASRock 939Dual SATA2 | AMD64 3700+ | 2G PC3200 DDR RAM

ASUS X1950PRO 256MB | Audigy 2 | Saitek X45 | CH Pro Pedals | Track IR3 Pro

I find that Im able to get neutral trim setting just by touch on my X-45 (at the detent).

I have a small deadzone set on trim to ensure there is no "command" being sent while in the neutral detent.

Also since I prefer being able to finely control the pitch and never need full pitch trim authority I've made a large shift setting and flattened the curve.

I also use the INVERT selection as my preference.

Makes level flying, weapons employment and landing approaches very easy even in the Mig-29.

trim.jpg

Hi - Gonna try this right now. Thanks for the screenshot. Do your settings correspond with the neutral trim LED in the Russian jets? Or do you just ignore it?

Interesting Question - oh, and intersting Thread! Someone could explain correct Trimming with X-45 Rotaries? I have an issue too: Pitch and Roll trim are set on Rotary onee and two. When i start Lockon first time, roll trim rotary trims pitch and pitch trim rotary trims roll. If i recover, it mostly works as its meant to, but not always :icon_roll

Thanks for Answers in Advance

S!

Brati

"Helicopters can't fly; they're just so ugly the earth repels them." (THX Rich :thumbup: )

33rdsignatureimage7klmu6.jpg

I like your settings WR, but I discovered you have your pitch on what LOMAC calls Rotator 0 which corresponds to the rotary on the top of the X-45 throttle.

I've always trimmed pitch on what LOMAC calls Slider 1 - which is the X-45s side-mounted rotary. I know it doesn't make difference - I've just always trimmed pitch with my thumb and I like the fact that control movement on my HOTAS corresponds to the effect on flight. I've got rudder trim on the top-mounted rotary for the same reason although in LOMAC, as opposed to IL2, we hardly seem to need rudder trim.

Anyway, your settings 'feel' better than mine which is great and I thank you for that :)

I still need to offset the thumb rotary by three 'ridges' to get the neutral trim light to come on in the Russian a/c, but that doesn't seem to be an issue performance-wise.

I guess from what you said that if I moved my pitch trim to Rotator 0 that wouldn't happen - so it's a tradeoff.

33rd bratpfanne: As you can see there is no 'correct way' to set up trim on the X-45, rather it's a question of finding a solution that works for you. It's worth noting that of the three flight axis, pitch (elevator trim) is the one you'll care about the most as it can be used to adjust your rate of climb/descent at a chosen power setting, and will help you accelerate without gaining altitude at a chosen power setting. Of course, you could achieve that last effect with Altitude Hold as well. Also, when making a ground attack run, many like to trim their stick a little 'heavy' - which you do by dialing in a little extra nosedown trim. that way you're 'pulling' up into the target instead of 'pushing' the aircraft's nose down.

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

ctrl+t comes in handy at the begining of a mission to set the aircraft trim to neautral and have your rotarys centred via the indent.

1, centre rotarys

2, ctrl+t to reset trim.

works perfect everytime for me.

Hi guys, I'll take the chance to ask the same question but for the X52...

Does anybody set the trimmer to the rotary in front side of throttle? Does it works good?

Thanks

=FN= Six o'Clock

Member of Falcões da Noite Squadron

Florianopolis :: Brazil

33rd bratpfanne: As you can see there is no 'correct way' to set up trim on the X-45, rather it's a question of finding a solution that works for you. It's worth noting that of the three flight axis, pitch (elevator trim) is the one you'll care about the most as it can be used to adjust your rate of climb/descent at a chosen power setting, and will help you accelerate without gaining altitude at a chosen power setting. Of course, you could achieve that last effect with Altitude Hold as well. Also, when making a ground attack run, many like to trim their stick a little 'heavy' - which you do by dialing in a little extra nosedown trim. that way you're 'pulling' up into the target instead of 'pushing' the aircraft's nose down.

THX, i m totally aware of how to trim and how to use it, but if u do formation flying, u wish to trim your Ailerons if u have Wind from the side ;-)

S!

Brati

"Helicopters can't fly; they're just so ugly the earth repels them." (THX Rich :thumbup: )

33rdsignatureimage7klmu6.jpg

THX, i m totally aware of how to trim and how to use it, but if u do formation flying, u wish to trim your Ailerons if u have Wind from the side ;-)

S!

Brati

My apologies for the unnecessary trim lesson, Brati - I misinterpreted your question.

S!