Crosswind takeoff, wings roll into the wind

Hi,

I notice there is a strong tendency for wings to roll into the wind on takeoff when a crosswind is present - is this a characteristic of the real aircraft, or a "feature"? I am expecting to need some stick into the wind, but instead it requires much stick away from the crosswind direction to successfully take off.

I've noticed this since the first release beta, but I haven't seen anyone else complain specifically about it. Any crosswind component and the plane will yaw into the wind (ie. weather-vane, as expected) but also roll into the wind. I would expect the rolling motion on takeoff to match the normal slip-roll coupling, ie. when the nose is yawed right (or crosswind from the left on takeoff), the plane rolls right..

No problems that I've seen. I attached a trk file which shows 2 circuits around Minvody with a 9 m/s crosswind from the SW, Left to Right on rwy. First I had ailerons into the wind, good takeoff , landing had major crabbing into the wind. Second takeoff I had ailerons neutral and almost lost it in the right shoulder, so it appears to be working as advertised.

Eta.

. I think the rolling to the left is engine torque. Try setting the wind to the opposite direction (right to left) and you'll see that the roll to the left is much more pronounced.

X-Wind.trk

Edited by Tailgate

I can demonstrate: setup takeoff from Sukhumi, wind sea level towards 040 at 5m/s. Tower reports wind from 220 at 5m/s (close enough).

In this video I take off runway 12, stick straight back and it rolls right (towards the wind). Then turn around, land and takeoff runway 30, again stick straight back and it rolls left (towards the wind). Note I have flaps 20 and am taking off early, the effect is most pronounced when you 3-point takeoff and doesn't seem to roll nearly so much if you lift the tail and pick up speed first.

Mission and track attached.

P51 circuits 1.miz

xwind2.trk

Edited by BudgieSmuggler

• 2 years later...