Colt 1911, Marines side arm once again

Cali

The Colt .45 M1911 is making a big comeback, now that the U.S. Marines have placed a $22.5 million order for the Connecticut-made pistols.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

John Browning designs, still to this day, prove to be some of the best. 1911 is so much batter than the Beretta, not sure why they adopted the Beretta in the first place.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I'm not a big fan of 1911's, but a lot of people are. They are a little too big for me. Even the Taurus 24/7 I have now is a little too big to conceal in the summertime.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

No need to conceal in AZ :D

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

No need to conceal in AZ :D

I know, but I'm not in Arizona anymore. Also I don't like to walk around with a gun showing, no need to parade it to everyone.

Why not Glock .45? Isn't Glock less prone to jamming, practically indestructible and takes higher capacity mag?

Not to mention about 10 secs to field strip :) I don't think Glock even submitted a design for trails did they?

Edited by G-Lock91

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can certainly make something out of you"

-Muhammad Ali

WIN 7 64-bit SP1 | AMD Phenom II X4 955 | 8.0 GB RAM | NVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti | CH Pro Throttle | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR5

And there is that, too. :D Though I never could figure out what makes the Glock safety which is on the trigger is supposed to be safer than regular thumb safety that is away from the trigger. Can anyone elaborate on that?

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

And there is that, too. :D Though I never could figure out what makes the Glock safety which is on the trigger is supposed to be safer than regular thumb safety that is away from the trigger. Can anyone elaborate on that?

Not sure.. I know some police departments will only issue duty weapons with a manual safety. Personally I like that I can rack a round and still have it on safe with my Beretta. Still gettin used to the Glock and trying to remember if I racked one in or not.. Not a good thing if I'm caught in a firefight :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can certainly make something out of you"

-Muhammad Ali

WIN 7 64-bit SP1 | AMD Phenom II X4 955 | 8.0 GB RAM | NVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti | CH Pro Throttle | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR5

The Glock is a weapon that is designed for handlers with good weapon handling discipline that need a weapon that is reasonably safe when holstered but can be drawn and fired very quickly. Therefore, Glock opted to not use a separate safety. There are however 3 safeties included in the design, IIRC, one is the one on the trigger you mentioned, the other one is that the firing pin is locked from firing if the sledge is not fully forward (to prevent the gun from firing in the event of it falling on the ground) and there's a third one too that i don't remember right now. It's almost ten years since i handled the model 17 regularly.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I was going to get a Springfield XD, but didn't know if I'd like palm safety.

Thanks for the explanation, Sobek. Always wondered what's up with that safety.

I'd love to own a Glock 21 but it and a lot of other pistols cost around 1800 usd in my country. Obvious, only for the rich.

G-Lock,

The guy in the vid below explains you can tell if the Glock has a round in the chamber by feeling the extractor n if the trigger is forward then it is cocked.

Cali,

The vid also shows a comparison between Glock 21 n XDm 45.

Edited by leafer

Thanks for the video.. almost like the SR9 extractor.

Stole this from the Glock website:

TRIGGER SAFETY

As the first of the three Glock “Safe Action” safety features, the trigger safety prevents inadvertent firing by lateral forces on the trigger. Releasing the trigger will automatically reactivate the safety.

FIRING PIN SAFETY

The Glock firing pin safety is a solid hardened steel pin which, in the secured state, blocks the firing pin channel, rendering the igniting of a chambered cartridge by the firing pin impossible. The firing pin safety is only pushed upward to release the firing pin for firing when the trigger is pulled and the safety is pushed up through the backward movement of the trigger bar. Releasing the trigger will automatically reactivate the firing pin safety.

DROP SAFETY

In the line of duty it may happen that a loaded pistol is dropped on the floor. Contrary to conventional pistols, the Glock drop safety prevents unintentional firing of a shot through hard impact. When the trigger is pulled, the trigger bar is guided in a precision safety ramp. The trigger bar is deflected from this ramp only in the moment the shot is triggered.

Stay away from XD!! :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Muhammad Ali

The guy in the vid below explains you can tell if the Glock has a round in the chamber by feeling the extractor n if the trigger is forward then it is cocked.

The thingy with the extractor indicating a chambered round was only introduced recently, the austrian army issue gen3 i used didn't have it back then, IIRC.

Edit: Scratch that, i think we were particularly not trained to use the extractor but it was there.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Sure is an UGLY gun.. but so is The Hog and look what is can do, hehe.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Muhammad Ali

It's one of those obviously simple but useful features that makes you think why no one thought of it sooner?

I hate watching gun videos because I always ended up wanting one. lol

It's one of those obviously simple but useful features that makes you think why no one thought of it sooner?

I hate watching gun videos because I always ended up wanting one. lol

:megalol: especially ones coming from Hickok45!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Muhammad Ali

Sure is an UGLY gun.. but so is The Hog and look what is can do, hehe.

What the 1911 or Glock? I don't like the look of most Glock's, I think they are ugly, but they are good guns. My Taurus 24/7 looks nice to me and has never messed up yet *fingers crossed* it has been a good gun.

Nah the 1911 is gorgeous.. and the Beretta is the sexiest piece of work ever lol . The glock is an awesome weapon, just super fugly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Muhammad Ali

I competed with the 1911 as a civilian and carried it in the Military, never let me down, and I would hate to be on the receiving end of it's knock down power!:music_whistling: Like any weapon, you have to know it, and care for it!! the 1911 can take a hell of alot of abuse! Safety is all user!!!! Any user Should know if you have a round in the chamber!! Period!!As well as how many left in the mag, before you move on to the next unknown!!

Edited by celticcoho

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Celticcoho (OriginFreedom)

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

I had a Baby Eagle .45 when I was in Alaska....that was a nice gun also. Never had any problems with it either. The guy I sold to shot himself through the hand while cleaning it though. You always make sure that there isn't one in the chamber...

Check, recheck. Then do it all over again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Muhammad Ali

I had a Baby Eagle .45 when I was in Alaska....that was a nice gun also. Never had any problems with it either. The guy I sold to shot himself through the hand while cleaning it though. You always make sure that there isn't one in the chamber...

Again the User is the Safety. I competed wit a custom Gold Cup National match 1911, and I am left handed, so had Safeties on both sides. Not so lucky with Military version, But I had trained for it, so was not a problem. Right handed only!! As for careing for it, I knew a little emery cloth each time I cleaned it would make it more reliable! polish the feed ramp and mag well, better feeding, faster reloads, and remember to clean and oil your mags, most misfeeds are mag caused!:thumbup: Carried one concealed and on duty over 25 yrs, with no worries!!:music_whistling:Know you weapon, best I can Say!!! I would take a >45 over a 9mm any day. Old saying, 9mm has 14 rnds, and you need all of them, .45 cal, just one to knock them down, once down, they are less of a threat! Whatever you choose, Learn it well, and be safe!!

Edited by celticcoho

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

Again the User is the Safety. I competed wit a custom Gold Cup National match 1911, and I am left handed, so had Safeties on both sides. Not so lucky with Military version, But I had trained for it, so was not a problem. Right handed only!! As for careing for it, I knew a little emery cloth each time I cleaned it would make it more reliable! polish the feed ramp and mag well, better feeding, faster reloads, and remember to clean and oil your mags, most misfeeds are mag caused!:thumbup: Carried one concealed and on duty over 25 yrs, with no worries!!:music_whistling:Know you weapon, best I can Say!!! I would take a >45 over a 9mm any day. Old saying, 9mm has 14 rnds, and you need all of them, .45 cal, just one to knock them down, once down, they are less of a threat!

I would say a loose grip or "limp wristing" would be the cause for most misfeeds, maybe riding the slide right behind that... :dunno:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Muhammad Ali

I would say a loose grip or "limp wristing" would be the cause for most misfeeds, maybe riding the slide right behind that... :dunno:

true, if you ever got Hammer and Slide bite too, you doing it wrong, again, know your weapon. The Military would not let me carry my National Match Gold Cup, even though I kept it in the Armory!.LOL and if you do get a miss feed, How fast can you clear it. Training an knowing your weapon, I can't say enough!:thumbup:

Cheers all!! G lock, now you talking shooting skills, not the function of the weapon itself!, cheers

Edited by celticcoho